Author Topic: Same day thin crust  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Same day thin crust
« on: March 04, 2005, 11:26:46 AM »
Used DKMís thin crust recipe yesterday morning for pizza last night.  It came to me that the recipe would work in a shorter amount of time than the 24 hours I had been using if I would raise the fermentation temperature (room temperature)  to be more like that of an operating Pizza Inn, say closer to 80F.  I placed my dough bucket under our low voltage halogen counter light for the minimum 9 hour rise DKM specified for the test. 
The taste was identical match to the 24-hour rise at a room temperature of around 72F after only 9 hours as DKM said it would.

Quite by accident, we tested using frozen Poly-O part skim that had been shredded and frozen last week with surprising results.  Normally I would take the cheese from the freezer an hour or so in advance but this time it went from the freezer to the pizza to the oven.  The frozen cheese allowed the crust to brown much more before the cheese started to turn brown.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re: Same day thin crust
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 12:58:08 PM »
That is a good point, Randy.

The enviorment in a home kitchen is not the same as a restaurant kitchen.  Some of my best same day doughs come on days we are very active in the kitchen.  Cooking, washing dishes, and the rest.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards