Author Topic: Double Decker chicago thin x2  (Read 1272 times)

Offline boydcrowder

Double Decker chicago thin x2
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
I am trying to reverse engineer a pizza I first had in Florida that originated in Illinois. The Florida restaurant has changed hands years ago and switched to New York style sausage and sauce.  I am including a picture from the Illinois place as well as my latest attempt. 
So far I have figured that this is two thin crusts and a paste style sauce.  Only the bottom layer gets sauced, veggies only go on top. The bottom crust is rolled out and instead of trimming the overhang, its rolled up into the top thin thin disc, which covers a normal pizza, heavy sauce, light cheese, and sans veggies. Slice three vents.

That goes into a 450 oven bottom rack with a hot stone on the next rack to cook that top crust.  At the first hint of brown take it out, layer meat, cheese and thin veggie layers and put back in until veggies start to singe or cheese just begins to brown.

Mine came out structurally accurate, but my sauce was too thick.  The crust was perfect except too crunchy instead of bready on the edges. I perhaps needed another day. (It was very Barnabys esque)

Dough (can't remember source)
2 lbs Sams bread flour
1.5 cups water
2.5 teaspoons yeast
2 tb olive oil
1 t sugar
24 hours at room temp.

Sauce was Aurelios clone from Garvey.  Good flavor but too thick.  I'm going to cut with standard tomato sauce.

The sausage I used was a Lou clone, but tasted too meatballish with lots of salt, black pepper and garlic.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Double Decker chicago thin x2
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:08:04 AM »
This style sounds pretty wacky.  What was the name and location of the originator of this style in Illinois?  Usually, name checking will help pull out all the hidden fans from the woodwork around here, to get that collective knowledge and collective memory working.

I don't know anything about this style, but your baking protocol sounds perfect.  For making stuffed pizza in the home oven, I've found that baking the unadorned top crust for a while is the way to go.  And this thing is stuffed pizza on steroids.

Looking forward to seeing more iterations of this pie!

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:44:54 PM »
Boydcrowder:

That braided crust reminds me more of a "mountain-style" pizza, although it does not seem as thick as a mountain pie.  There was a pizza place in Lawrence, Kansas called Pyramid Pizza that had that style when I was in college.  It is more commonly found in Colorado, particularly from Beau Jo's.  You may want to see about finding information on braided crust pizza and work from there.
http://www.beaujos.com/

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:05 PM »
I think Connie's stuffed pizza in Illinois has a braided crust too.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline boydcrowder

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:55:28 PM »
So I gave what I had left of that dough another 36 hours and got a lot of improvement but also had decided since Garvey was on with his sauce, I would try his aurelio dough and gave it 2.5 days  This time I cut his sauce with regular tomato sauce and a bit of water to where it would almost pour.  I doubled the volume of sauce. I sprinkled some corn meal on the edge of the crust. Its so close to the original I can't believe it. (I over did the yeast a tad by accident)
I am not sure where the Illinois place was but the picture I borrowed is a place called Bills in Mundelein that's been around for over forty years.  The Florida place is called Vic's double decker. Vic opened it in the late 80s and would actually ship sausage from Chicago.  The people he sold to are new yorkers i think. 
This is basically the opposite of stuffed pizza because the sauce is on bottom. Its on a flat pan instead of in a dish but it works like a charm.  The key is using the hot stone over the top to cook that cracker crust before it melds with the cheese below it into a goo mess.
I had 10-12 minutes at 450 on the bottom rack, then another 8-10 minutes after the top layer.

Offline boydcrowder

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
Well, I just realized I used Garvey's Pizza Factory dough and sauce, not the Aurelios- I guess when I clicked to check out his sausage recipe I never clicked back (Interweb fail).  Great, now I'll have to try the aurelios clone.

Anyway, I tried that sauce again and for these purposes it really should be 6 oz of paste and not 12 oz of paste. The sauce needs to be wet in there, that way it can easily drip out and scald your hand when you are eating ;D, and it provides a good dip for the thick outside crust. 

As for the braided crust, I tend to do that technique from my days in college making stuffed crust.  Its an easy way to tie the two crusts together to stretch, moosh, twist and dimple down with the thumb. 

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 11:32:26 PM »
That's the Bills Pub double decker, a famous pizza around that area.  My #1 favorite pizza, not too many shops make them.  The sauce is not published and a "family secret" but has not changed since the place opened ( from what I understand). Pizza is baked  in Bakers Pride deck ovens.  First first layer is a thin crust, with sauce and cheese ( but a unique crumbled cheese I can't figure out ). Then another thin crust with meats and veggies and more cheese ( no sauce ). Edges are twisted and  Pizza's are baked for 35 minutes.

pizzapan