Author Topic: beef pepperoni  (Read 2837 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
beef pepperoni
« on: January 24, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
I made 40lbs of all beef pepperoni this week. It came out great. I am using the same collagen casings that Ezzo use.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: beef pepperoni
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:41:02 PM »
TD,  That pizza looks fantastic,  as does the pepperoni.  Is that the difference some caputo on your formula is making?  -marc

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
TD,  That pizza looks fantastic,  as does the pepperoni.  Is that the difference some caputo on your formula is making?  -marc
Thanks Marc. It hasn't made a huge difference in the appearance of the pizzas, but it does make some difference. I am able to cook the pizzas a little longer and get a little color on the top. The texture has been a big improvement to me. It is crispier but still nice and chewy.

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 03:52:56 AM »
Looks great!  Can you give details of the pepperoni recipe you used and technique?

Pete W

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:09:49 AM »
My latest batch made from pork butt instead of beef. This batch turned out better and I am getting close to my perfect pepperoni. I will post my recipe then.

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 12:39:28 AM »
My latest batch made from pork butt instead of beef. This batch turned out better and I am getting close to my perfect pepperoni. I will post my recipe then.

I must compliment you on your fat speck defenition, that looks great.
I like to do a 60/40 pork & beef blend for my pepperoni and I find it gives me a great texture and a great flavor that way. My total fat content is between 20%-25%, I use very lean beef shoulder clod, pork butts, and I add pork backfat to to get my fat ratio correct, I remove fat from the beef clod because I find beef fat makes for a funky, almost greasy  mouth-feel due to it higher melting point

How are those collagen casing working out? I prefer natural hog casings. Are you using edible or inedible collagen, and why?
I can never get a twist to stay in collagen without tying them off, and I had some tear and fall off my hanging sticks while they were drying too.
I considered trying fibrous casings, but found that pork casings are just fine.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 02:05:27 AM »
You have have to be sure you use collagen casings designed for hanging otherwise they will break. I use them for pepperoni because they cup when cooked. They are the same casings used by Ezzo. I like hog casings for everything else.

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 11:31:09 PM »
You folks on this forum absolutely inspire me.

Talking with the fiance' (soon to be wife) right now as I type this about making our own pepperoni and sausage.

Thanks folks. I appreciate you all more and more with every new thread and post I see.

This forum is awesome.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

pizzapan