Author Topic: modified Fioreglut GF pizza recipe--NY Style!  (Read 1390 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
modified Fioreglut GF pizza recipe--NY Style!
« on: April 15, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »
After much experimentation, I have come up with a gluten free pizza mix recipe that really seems to work well!  It's based on a modified version of FioreGlut gluten free flour.  It's got much the same ingredients, but I've added a few small tweaks.

You will need:

-- a sturdy and durable pizza stone or some other similar cooking device (such as unglazed quarry tiles) for your oven
-- a pizza peel

DRY INGREDIENTS:

1 1/4 cups corn starch
1 1/4 cups white rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup soy flour

1 Tbsp dry milk powder
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp inulin
1 tsp baking powder

WET INGREDIENTS:
2 cups very warm water
2 Tbsp olive oil, plus some for drizzling over pizza

INSTRUCTIONS:

Mix dry ingredients (except for the yeast) in your stand mixer's bowl.  Dissolve yeast in the water for approximately 5-10 minutes, then add oil to the water/yeast mixture.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium for approximately 3-4 minutes or until dough is thoroughly mixed.  The dough should have a consistency a little bit similar to ice cream.  You should be able to "dollop" it with a spoon, not pour it. If it's too wet, make sure to mix in some more white rice flour until it's solidified enough. On the other hand, you don't want it so dry that it forms a nice dry dough ball like a normal gluten pizza dough would be--if it's too dry, it'll dry out when baking in the oven.

Cover and let rise in a warm location for approximately an hour or so, then place in fridge to rise overnight.  I transfer my dough to a tupperware container for this step--if you do too, make sure you scrape the mixing bowl, don't leave any dough behind! :) (NOTE: You can skip the fridge rise if you're really hungry, but the pizza won't taste quite as good, and the crust won't wind up being as well developed.)

The next day, when you're ready to make pizza, place your pizza stone in the oven as low as you can get it (I have mine an inch off the oven floor) and preheat to as high as it'll go (I used the calibration setting on my oven to get up to 530 degrees) for approximately 30 minutes.  Make sure you've got a sturdy, durable stone--I had a thin one that broke in half on the first try.  Near the end of the preheating time, get your cheese, sauce, and toppings ready, and get your pizza peel well floured with GF flour (don't skimp on the flour).

Place approximately a third of the dough on the peel and roll it around in the flour until you get a nice dry, smooth ball that doesn't stick to the peel or your hands.  Then GENTLY AND SLOWLY press the ball into a small disc.  As you press it out, you may need to periodically add a bit of flour to the peel, the underside of the disc, or the top side of the disc--throughout this process, stickiness will be your main enemy.  Don't rush--you might tear the dough.

Keep pressing the disc outwards a tiny bit at a time.  After it's gotten thin enough, you can gently place your palm on one edge of the disc, and tilt the peel slightly toward the opposite side in order to stretch it out using gravity.  Keep moving your hand around the disc and rotate the direction of tilt in order to evenly stretch out the disc until it's your desired diameter (I like mine very thin, at around 14"-16").  Watch out that you don't tear it!  And keep shuffling the peel every now and then to make sure the disc moves freely on the peel.

Once that's done, take a fork and gently poke the disc in a variety of places to give it breathability, then try to brush the excess flour off the peel into your kitchen sink or wherever (if you skip this step, you will wind up having to silence the smoke alarm when you get a bunch of flour burning up into smoke in your oven!).  Then slide the naked dough off the peel onto your pizza stone in the oven.

Let it sit there around 2 minutes or so to firm up the bottom crust, then carefully use your peel to retrieve the pizza.  Add your sauce, cheese, and desired toppings, then drizzle olive oil over the pizza in a spiral fashion.  Put the pizza back on the stone in the oven, and bake until cheese is fully melted.

YIELD: Approximately three 12" pizzas.  I stretch mine very thin, and am able to get one 14"-15" pizza, plus two 13" pizzas.

If anyone wants to try this with a high-temp oven (Blackstone, wood fired, etc), I'd be curious to know what your results are!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:44:43 PM by canadave »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: modified Fioreglut GF pizza recipe--NY Style!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »
Dave,any idea what the nutrition info is on this recipe?  Specifically carbs?  Thanks for sharing.  -Marc

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »
No idea, sorry...

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Not sure when I will get the chance, but I will have to try it sometime.

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »
Looking good dave...I would definitely be interested in seeing any pics next time you make one up.

Have you played with reducing the amount of xanthan at all?

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 02:41:29 PM »
Thanks guys.  Jon, if you do get a chance to try it, please post your results!  Zinc, I did try slightly modifying the "gums" content, but not the amount much.  In previous efforts, I tried some guar and xanthan mixed, but never more than 1.5 tsp.  I think I tried just 1 tsp in one of my efforts.  I don't think it made much of a difference.

I encourage folks to play around with this recipe, as I certainly have not by any means exhausted the possibilities of improving it even more! :)  All I know is that it's now something I can be happy with compared to my previous efforts.

Also, I still have one last bit of the dough in the fridge, so I'll try to get pics and maybe even video when I prepare it...probably tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:45:43 PM by canadave »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 10:37:55 AM »
OK guys, it's a little long, but I figured you guys are smart enough to skip through the boring bits ;)  Here's a video I made last night of making the pizza (the dough is already made, but you can see how I form the dough on the peel (had to do it three times, because it kept sticking!) and also see the final result.  I intentionally dumbed it down a bit for people who may watch the video and aren't experienced pizzaolos such as ourselves ;)

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »
Looks pretty tasty dave, almost like a crispy cracker style crust.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 01:56:49 PM »
Thanks Zinc.  Yeah, it looks very cracker-like visually, but it's a little less so than it appears to be.  I spread it REALLY thin in that video....if I hadn't, it would've been less crackerish :)

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »
I like a good super thin crust like that sometimes....might be worth some more experimentation to get a super crispy bottom. Do you find the wood peel sticks less than a metal one?

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »
Interesting question--I've never tried a metal peel, so I can't comment on the stickiness comparison to wood.  I will say that any stickiness I've experienced (such as last night, lol) was due to the dough being a little too wet.  Once it's well floured, I've never had an issue.

Offline alhobart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 01:00:37 PM »
Canadave,

I know you've probably done a lot of experimentation to get your recipe to this point.  I hate to ask about changes to your recipe, but I do have to ask if there are reasonable substitutions that could be made for the dry milk powder and the soy flour?  I would be making the GF crust for my son, he's also supposed to avoid dairy and soy due to his allergies.  The multiple allergies has made it a real challenge to find both recipes and pre-made items that my son can have. 

Thanks.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »
Hi, sorry, I don't frequent this forum as much as I used to, so I missed your question until now. 

I have to confess I'm not sure what kinds of substitutions would be best to accommodate what you're looking to do.  The only suggestion I could give you would be to try some substitutions on your own and see how they work out.  I'd imagine the soy flour would be easiest to substitute--flours can be similar.  The point of the soy flour is to give the mix a high-protein flour, so maybe some garfava bean flour?  Not sure, sorry :(

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
Canadave,

I know you've probably done a lot of experimentation to get your recipe to this point.  I hate to ask about changes to your recipe, but I do have to ask if there are reasonable substitutions that could be made for the dry milk powder and the soy flour?  I would be making the GF crust for my son, he's also supposed to avoid dairy and soy due to his allergies.  The multiple allergies has made it a real challenge to find both recipes and pre-made items that my son can have. 

Thanks.

I would try using one of these in place of the milk powder…

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Ecomil-Almond-Powder-400/dp/B0028VK5WC/?tag=pmak-20

http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Milk-Powder-1-Lb/dp/B00821LQSE/?tag=pmak-20

and agree with canadave with regards to the garfava flour. It's worth a try, good luck and take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

pizzapan