Author Topic: Tried to make a Grandma's Pie using dough frozen for 2 weeks  (Read 1186 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Tried to make a Grandma's Pie using dough frozen for 2 weeks
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:17:45 AM »
I tried to make a Grandma’s Pie Sicilian style today using a frozen dough that was used to make a Chicago Stuffed Crust Pizza at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10018.0.html

This frozen dough was left in the freezer for 2 weeks.  Although this pie tasted good, I would go about making this Grandma’s Pie Sicilian style different, in the future. I think I would try another dough recipe for the crust. I did use a rolling pin to roll out the crust. The bottom of the crust wasn’t crunchy enough for my taste.  I did oil the pan.  Other standholders tasted the pie and really liked it.  Two standholders even told me they like this Grandma’s Pie, better than my NY Style, using the Lehmann dough.  I guess all people have different tastes and like different pies.
The pie was dressed with mozzarella, the sauce I use for the Lehmann dough, and a herb dressing I use for the cheesy breadsticks.

In conclusion, I will try this Grandma’s Pie again in the future, but will change the dough and also might use another pan.  Still don’t like this square pan for some reason.  This pan gave me problems, before. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Tried to make a Grandma's Pie using dough frozen for 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
Norma,  did you let that dough pan rise for a while?  -marc

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Tried to make a Grandma's Pie using dough frozen for 2 weeks
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
widespreadpizza,

I didn't let the dough rise in the pan. The dough was dressed with the ingredients right after putting the dough into the pan. I then put the pie right in the oven. I had let the dough defrost in the deli case overnight.  Then a two hour warm up of the dough at room temperature.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!