Author Topic: My trip to Bova Foods in Pa. today  (Read 11125 times)

Offline Bob1

Re: My trip to Bova Foods in Pa. today
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:48:34 PM »
JT,
I went to Bova today for Grande and it was dated 1/28, not bad.

Pizaboyfan,
I tried the De Cecco crushed tomatoes, they were great.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 07:17:53 AM »
How much$ was it now Bob? did you get 6 - 5 pounder bags?
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Bob1

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 07:39:38 AM »
John,
I live so close I do not mind paying extra for single bags for $18. When I freeze I portion it at 5oz with wax paper.  Between using Grande, fresh, or only tomatoes, it is to much work for 30lbs of 1/3 the cheese required. 

Thanks,

Bob

Online pizzaboyfan

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 01:50:07 PM »
Bob,
For some reason they keep the cases of DeCecco whole tomatoes in the back...you have to ask.
Glad you liked them.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 02:37:16 PM »
pizzaboyfan,
Actually I need to correct that.  I bought the diced in puree.  My wife and I both liked the extra texture.

Bob

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 08:48:57 PM »
You should buy a case of breaded Veal for $30 that Bova sells.....
I bought One case not knowing how good it is,,,,next time I will
get three cases............JT

Offline Bob1

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
JT,
Sounds good I will give it a shot.  In case anyone is in need of containers, I picked up a few opaque 22 Quart cambro rounds with lids for flour storage.  They were $10.40 per container and $2.50 for the lid.  I also got a couple of clear 1 litres for my starters. They were about $6 with the lid.

Bob

Offline Bob1

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »
Hey guys,
I just got back from Bova picking up incidentals.  I splurged today and also got the cannoli goo in the plastic throw away pastry bag, and the 24 cannoli shells.  I thought I would get it for the kids but the wife and I all ready had a few, and they are great.  I also picked up a jar of La Bella Di Cerignola Italian Olives for $8.99.  I never had fresh olives in brine before and I find I like them.  You just have to watch out for the pits.   I got a picture of them off the net and they seem to run for twice that price.  I was told they pick them in a one month period in November just before they ripen and then cure them in ash.  I also asked Frank if he would break a case of Grande mix for the store if the warehouse carries it.  He said no problem.  So keep an eye out for it in a few weeks.

Bob, 

Online pizzaboyfan

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 03:15:26 PM »
If you like the Cerignola's you will love the Castleventrano's.
Smaller, firmer and not quite as briney. They keep them in the fridge, they come  in a small tub.
Best olive I've ever had.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 03:24:59 PM »
Thanks,
I'll give them a try.  I remember you recomending them, but I assumed they were in vinegar not brine.  I also got a case of the diced De Cecco with basil this time. 

Thanks,

Bob     

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »
Bob,

Do you know if Bova carries any "00" flours ?

Offline Bob1

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »
Yes,
Frank said because of requests he got some in.  Here is a quote from the net

"Granoro Farina "00"  for bread, focaccia, pizza, and cakes. This flour also makes excellent homemade pasta dough. Made in Italy of soft wheat flour type 00. 1000 grams."

I do not really cook at high temps so I can't comment on the quality.  The bags were 1000g for $2.75 so it would not cost much to test it out.  I bought some last summer, I assume he still carries it.  He said it was a test run to see if it sold.

Bob

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 07:19:54 PM »
Oh OK...good to know.  I bought a 2-stone last year and have never really used it other than for
NY style.  I may try "00" flour this summer and crank it up with some Neo pies.

Just wondering..do you think Frank knows there is a cult following Bova ?  ;D

He should consider mail order. 

Offline Bob1

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
Kemosa,
I do not know how their 00 compares to Caputo.  I have seen 00 flours very a lot because 00 only refers to the grind.  This brand does state for pizza but I do not know if that means high temp or not.  I would assume it is not malted and would probably hold up.  I have some Caputo and wouldn't mind giving you a few pounds to try.  Maybe someday before summer arrives I could meet you at Bova.  If you like it you can get a 55 lb bag at Stavola for about $28.  They are in NJ about 10 minutes over the Walt Whitman.  They are kinda of like Bova on a super small scale with out the store.  They also carry bromated All Trump if you are into that.

http://stavolafoods.com/

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »
Yeah that sounds good.  Maybe one day this Spring or Summer I can meet you there.  I over bought last time so I'm good for a while!  If he still has the small bags of "00" I'll probably try it.

Thanks.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 09:41:47 PM »
Bob1
I see you enjoy your trips to Bova
I spoke to Franks awhile back and he says that his dough comes from
Long Island.
I have tried it a few years ago and did not taste any differance between
the Bova and walmarts dough balls.
I tried the Bova a tad ago again ,Bova dough balls they taste alot better then walmarts...
I just bought a case of Grande about 2 months ago and gave a few bags out last week.
I think I will need another trip to Bova and also get 2 or 3  case of real breaded veal and not the cheap veal patties many places sell.............JT

Offline Bob1

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
JT,
I checked the freezer before I left and it was full.  I really wanted to try the veal, but I will have to wait until I can clear a few things out.  I tried their dough a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty good for frozen.  It's very seldom I ever buy balls.

Bob 

Offline Bob1

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 09:09:08 PM »
I stopped at Bova today with the wife and she picked up  some of the frozen Sfogliatelli - (The sfogliatelli is a classic Italian pastry with ricotta filling and a cake-like consistency).  They were fantastic, you bake them for 45 minutes spritz them with water and bake for another 5.  The top was very crisp and delicate with a nice crisp bottom.  They left a pleasent slight orange aftertaste.  I also picked up a case of 6 in 1 for a friend and found that they went up to $45 for 24 28oz cans.  I had heard there was a tomato shortage I assume that is why.

Bob

Offline Bob1

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »
I was curious how they made these pastries and I found a few videos.  These wood be very nice for parties.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr-yaD1Gc1Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr-yaD1Gc1Y</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCH0UnFXoEs&amp;feature=fvw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCH0UnFXoEs&amp;feature=fvw</a>

Bob

Offline Matthew

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »
I was curious how they made these pastries and I found a few videos.  These wood be very nice for parties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr-yaD1Gc1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCH0UnFXoEs&feature=fvw

Bob

Love sfogliatelli!  Incredibly labour intensive.  You know how there's certain products that you're better off buying pre-made (like puff pastry & filo dough) this definitely belongs on that list.  He makes it look easy.

Matt

pizzapan