Author Topic: Formula request for Erasmo  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Bob1

Formula request for Erasmo
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »
Erasmo,
Thanks for the interest.  I never did cracker crusts before this week and all my knowledge is 100% based on this site.  I like this type and plan to explore it further.  I do not know if this has been touched on or not but there is a great feature about this style.  I feel because of the oil you can achieve a lot of "late" after taste.  I would suggest experimenting with higher spiced sauce, but to compensate by using less.  I would also suggest using less cheese, laying it on first in chips, and then drizzling the spiced sauce in the voids.  My pie last night used a mild sauce and was cooked on a fibrement at 500 deg for around 8 minutes, I just pull it out when it is done.  I made my first pie with 8% EVOO and did not really mix it much at all.  I made this pie, my second, with 5% EVOO and mixed it a little better.  I liked the result because it was much more uniform.  I plan on dropping a % each time to get a feel for things.  I use a cheaper Cento EVOO for cooking like this and reserve the good stuff for dipping bread.  I mixed the water, salt, yeast, and sugar together.  I then dumped in the flour and while it was spinning on slow I drizzled in the Evoo.  I mixed it until I saw no dry flower, I had a little bit of dry mix that did not want to incorporate, and looking back, I should have just added a few drops of water to pick it up.  You should keep in mind that I am using KASL and you should compensate the water for any flour that is less thirsty.  I would assume that if your flour is 6% less you should drop the water 6%.  I had my docker out and forgot to use it.  I used a measuring spoon that said pinch, probably about the size of the exposed part of a pencil eraser.  I let it cold ferment for about 14 hours.  I pulled it out for a few hours at 65 deg and then put it in a light bulb oven with my new starter for about an hour.  I used only rice flour to roll it off the peel.

Round   Sq In      G Per Ball      Thick Fctr   Balls Qu   Total Weight
16   201      598       0.105                   1          598

Flour    100.00%   390.21
Water    45.00%   175.59
IDY   0.25%   0.975525
Salt   1.50%   5.85
Sugar   1.50%   5.85
EVOO   5.00%   19.51

Total   153.25%   598.00

Thanks,

Bob1

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
Re: Formula request for Erasmo
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »
Thanks Bob.

Greatly appreciated!!

Cant wait to try.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:01 PM »
Bob,

Nice looking pie.   :)  Good to see you are experimenting with different kinds of pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:22:20 AM »
Bob,
Followed to here from the bova thread NICE WORK! So no cutter pan? I agree, I love this style as you can tell by my cracker  posts. The crust is thin so the flavor is in the sauce. As for the cheese again less is better also, and the grande is well Grand  ;D
the docker is Key ! I use rice flour on other styles as well But pans for this style. Nice to see it can be done without. It is a very dry mix as shown here.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7592.0.html
Keep em coming!
JOhn
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:27:04 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Bob1

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:04:35 AM »
John,
I only tried this formula a couple of times and it worked great without the pan.  I tried to make the dough wetter to get the driest workable ball as opposed to brains.  I quickly started altering this formula with a camoldi starter and the properties changed drastically.  In fact I rolled the last with the pasta maker and overlapped the sheets by a 1/4 of an inch.  It turned out to be as thin as a sheet of paper and very crisp.  It was interesting.  I also may have left a step out of this formula.  After I make the ball I put it in a heavy oiled plastic container to coat the outside of the ball really well.  I let it meld for a day and then hold the ball in front of me between the palms.  I then bring my fingers in and girdle the gluten.  I then turn it 90 degrees and do again.  I repeat the process a few times.  It appears that as the oiled crust skin gets pushed into the ball it gives it great structure.  I have not played with it but I see great potentail in adding oil soaked flour to a Lehmann type mix and getting similar results.  Or maybe just oiling the ball and rolling in flour, repeat, repeat, repeat, then fold as indicated.  I like to think out of the box.

Thanks,

Bob

Edit:
John,
I forgot to mention that when I forgot to dock this it had 2 inch high bubbles when I pulled it out.  I then stabbed them, pushed them down, and used a fork to recover the bubbles with the sauce an fresh mozzarella.  It gave it a nice inside bubble crispness.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:50:30 AM by Bob1 »