Author Topic: NY STYLE PIZZA DOUGH FERMENTATION QUESTION  (Read 7468 times)

Offline erwinjohnbbq

Re: NY STYLE PIZZA DOUGH FERMENTATION QUESTION
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 01:59:53 AM »
Pete,

I do have a Kitchen Aid Mixer but I want to try doing the hand kneading first and then progress with using the mixer.  I would like to feel the the texture of a very good pizza dough initially so I can have a good basis in the future.  With regards to the oven, I will be using a firewood brick oven for cooking the pizzas.  I just experimented with my drum smoker for cooking the pizza since I still have to cure the brick oven for a week and I cant wait to see the results of my first dough so I used the smoker.

So I guess my next batch I'll be using the mixer already since room temperature here is getting pretty high.  And I guess I have to switch on the airconditioning unit to help cool the room temperature.  Thank you for the great advice.  My second batch is fermenting in the fridge as of the moment using a 58% hydration.  I checked on the doughs and they're working pretty well, no big bubbles at all.  So I guess the culprit with my previous dough was over kneading compounded by high dough temperature.  I placed my second batch in my other refrigerator which has a cooler environment and right now the doughs are doing ok.  I'll take them out of the fridge tomorrow afternoon for a planned 48 hour fermentation and see how it goes.  I'll update you on that.

JOHN

Thanks again Pete.  All of you have been a big help
Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.....

Offline erwinjohnbbq

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 02:09:38 AM »
Roadpizza,

Thank you for the advice on the hand tossing techniques.  I needed those a lot.  Actually, I'm not keen on doing dough acrobatic stuff.  I'm just concentrating on the basic hand tossing and dough slapping to greatly improve my dough shaping technique.  Those are even enough for me to "show-off" in front of surprised customers.  But of course, if I can learn more techniques, that would be an added bonus.  There is no pizzeria here that does that and none uses firewood ovens to cook their pizzas and I'd like to introduce this to the pizza loving market.

The square wet towel is helping me a lot.  That's where I'm starting now and I'm practicing frequently.   You will even be surprised that a wet towel is tucked in my belt at this moment  ;D.  Nevertheless, I'm dead set on harnessing the basic hand tossing, slapping and dough shaping techniques for future use.  That's why I'm very thankful for your professional advice since these will help me a lot.  Any more suggestions to improve my basic hand tossing technique will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JOHN

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 02:16:44 AM »
Roadpizza,

Thank you for the advice on the hand tossing techniques.  I needed those a lot.  Actually, I'm not keen on doing dough acrobatic stuff.  I'm just concentrating on the basic hand tossing and dough slapping to greatly improve my dough shaping technique.  Those are even enough for me to "show-off" in front of surprised customers.  But of course, if I can learn more techniques, that would be an added bonus.  There is no pizzeria here that does that and none uses firewood ovens to cook their pizzas and I'd like to introduce this to the pizza loving market.

The square wet towel is helping me a lot.  That's where I'm starting now and I'm practicing frequently.   You will even be surprised that a wet towel is tucked in my belt at this moment  ;D.  Nevertheless, I'm dead set on harnessing the basic hand tossing, slapping and dough shaping techniques for future use.  That's why I'm very thankful for your professional advice since these will help me a lot.  Any more suggestions to improve my basic hand tossing technique will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JOHN

Where are you in the Philippines?  I'm in the Manila area.

Offline erwinjohnbbq

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 02:31:11 AM »
Whoa Road pizza.... you're in Manila now?

I just relocated here in Cagayan de Oro city, Northern part of Minadanao.  Are you a filipino?

JOHN

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 02:33:24 AM »
Whoa Road pizza.... you're in Manila now?

I just relocated here in Cagayan de Oro city, Northern part of Minadanao.  Are you a filipino?

JOHN

Yes.  We have 25 pizza restaurants in the country.  We hand toss our pizzas in front of everyone.  We don't use a sheeter and the dough is made fresh daily.

Offline erwinjohnbbq

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 02:36:02 AM »
hmmm.... do you have a branch here in CDO?  What's the name of the pizza restaurant may i ask?

JOHN

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 02:41:35 AM »
hmmm.... do you have a branch here in CDO?  What's the name of the pizza restaurant may i ask?

JOHN

Well, it's not Yellow Cab and I do hope you're aspiring to be better than that.   Look around Manila and judge for yourself what is the best out there.  Or you can read this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9975.0.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 02:44:07 AM by RoadPizza »

Offline erwinjohnbbq

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 02:50:28 AM »
Yellow Cab has more than 30 branches in the country so it's not that.  Of course I'm aspiring to be better than that.  I used to franchise 2 pizza stores of a local pizza franchise that offers filipino version pizzas.  The owner was actually selling the company to my group but they sold it to their relatives instead.  That got me frustrated and sold my 2 stores eventually.

I've been doing a lot of research for the past two years and hopefully my first store will open this year.  All the pizza restaurants in Manila offer different versions from the california style to the NY style pizzas.  But all of them cook their pizzas in an electric or gas oven.  I believe no pizza restaurant in Manila cooks their pizzas in a firewood oven except for some italian restaurants inside hotels like shangrila and manila pen and CPK as well.  I would like to follow that direction and offer a mixture of napolitana and NY style pizzas.  As to the best pizza around Manila?  Again, the offer different kinds, but as to my personal preference, I prefer CPK.  Don't tell me you're referring to CPK?  :chef:

JOHN

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 03:06:56 AM »
Nope.  Not CPK, though some of my pizza makers and steam cooks (as well as an area manager) have made their way to CPK the past few years.

Good luck with your restaurant.

Offline erwinjohnbbq

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 03:13:01 AM »
Roadpizza,

Damn! I love SBARRO!!! I miss your pizza when I left Manila.  Sadly you don't have a branch here.  And I love your sausage and pepper pasta.  Your pizza reminds me of my yuppy days when I frequent your branch in the old QUAD in Makati.  Your branch in Alabang is where I used to frequent too since I used to live there.

My aunt and cousin who used to own one of the oldest Shakey's Restaurant in Manila, the one in Taft Avenue but unfortunately it's not there anymore, once told me years ago that they have business contacts with the owners/master franchisees of Sbarro Phils.  I once recalled them telling me they were planning to apply for a franchise for one of your stores (or maybe they already have I don't really know).  I lost contact with them.  Do you know Ms. Susan Salazar?    Nice to meet you on this forum.

JOHN

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 03:25:09 AM »
Roadpizza,

Damn! I love SBARRO!!! I miss your pizza when I left Manila.  Sadly you don't have a branch here.  And I love your sausage and pepper pasta.  Your pizza reminds me of my yuppy days when I frequent your branch in the old QUAD in Makati.  Your branch in Alabang is where I used to frequent too since I used to live there.

My aunt and cousin who used to own one of the oldest Shakey's Restaurant in Manila, the one in Taft Avenue but unfortunately it's not there anymore, once told me years ago that they have business contacts with the owners/master franchisees of Sbarro Phils.  I once recalled them telling me they were planning to apply for a franchise for one of your stores (or maybe they already have I don't really know).  I lost contact with them.  Do you know Ms. Susan Salazar?    Nice to meet you on this forum.

JOHN

I don't know Ms. Salazar.  Many people inquire about opening franchises but many find the initial investment (royalty fee, equipment, etc.) daunting.  It's much easier to open your own.  A few people are asking about opening in CDO (and Davao and Leyte), but we'll see. . . I hate travelling these days and I'd be doing a lot of the initial training for the store opening.

I spend a lot of time at Festival Mall, so you may have already seen me there.  We ALL miss the old Quad store (Glorietta 2) - that was a real money maker even with its small kitchen and dining area.

Offline erwinjohnbbq

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 03:30:32 AM »
You said right!  Initial investment was too high.  She told me about that as well.  She even invited me to go with her and visit your office at Katipunan Ave.  Do you still hold your office there?  Anyway, I'm sure Sbarro is doing well despite the emergence of new pizza stores in manila.  You do have a solid market I'm sure.

Opening your own pizzeria compared to franchising is really cheaper but it does have its own problems, the birth pains so to speak.  That's why I do plan to start small and really think of innovative ways to market the product.  But of course I have to start with creating my own product that I believe in.  And that's what I'm doing now.  I guess I've seen you in your Filinvest branch.  Good luck to you and Sbarro.  And thank you for your advice.  I'm sure I'll ask for some more in the future.

JOHN

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 03:39:55 AM »
You said right!  Initial investment was too high.  She told me about that as well.  She even invited me to go with her and visit your office at Katipunan Ave.  Do you still hold your office there?  Anyway, I'm sure Sbarro is doing well despite the emergence of new pizza stores in manila.  You do have a solid market I'm sure.

Opening your own pizzeria compared to franchising is really cheaper but it does have its own problems, the birth pains so to speak.  That's why I do plan to start small and really think of innovative ways to market the product.  But of course I have to start with creating my own product that I believe in.  And that's what I'm doing now.  I guess I've seen you in your Filinvest branch.  Good luck to you and Sbarro.  And thank you for your advice.  I'm sure I'll ask for some more in the future.

JOHN

Actually, our office is in Makati now.  Our franchise partners have an office on Katipunan Ave.

The other new pizza stores don't really worry us - THEY aren't the problem.  We need to worry more about ourselves and about making sure we continue doing the things we're supposed to be doing.

I'll answer any questions that I'm able to.  Good luck, John.  Maybe we'll meet in CDO one of these days.

pizzapan