Author Topic: A real deep dish video  (Read 30342 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: A real deep dish video
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2010, 10:11:35 PM »
Thanks for the new link, DKM.  Nice when Malnati, trying to make the funny says, "it wants to start with a well Krausened (umlaut omitted) pan."  The graphic then says "croisent".  Old Style always touted it's beer as being Krausened.  I used to say after a rough night that "I was out getting Krausened".

He moves the veggies around a bit after saucing the pizza.

Loo

Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline pizzard

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2010, 01:18:07 AM »
I had not seen this video before.  Anyone try Lou's Dough to Go?

Can't post the hyperlink, but this should get you there.

youtube.com/watch?v=jeMSGO9zYEs

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2010, 01:49:29 AM »
I had not seen this video before.  Anyone try Lou's Dough to Go?

Can't post the hyperlink, but this should get you there.

youtube.com/watch?v=jeMSGO9zYEs

Hadn't seen this before either. I may have to stop into a Lou's and see if they still sell the dough separately.
The video looks really old because Marc Malnati looks at least 10 years younger than his food network appearances, but very interesting that they have a web page for it.
http://www.loumalnatis.com/About/baking_reheating.aspx
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline BTB

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2010, 08:01:17 AM »
Hey, that is really interesting.  "Lou to Go Dough" must be a brand new product venture of their's.  The You Tube video had a date on it of 12/4/09, so it is a new thing that I hadn't heard of before.  Maybe they want to market it to the Pizzamaking.com crowd so they can make a little . . . "dough" off of it.

Many of us sure would like to get some, I'm sure, to see how good it is.  Marc mentioned on the video that you can get it at one of their stores and also mentioned something that I had difficulty understanding.  I thought he said you could order it from or on "pea pod."  Did anyone understand what he said or meant?

They seemed to be marketing just one type of dough, although many of us believed their thin and thick pizza doughs were a little different.  I'd be anxious to try it out for both and see how it is.

--BTB

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA

Offline BTB

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:03 AM »
Unfortunately they do not deliver to my location in Florida.  From the Peapod website:

Lou Matnati's Lou-To-Go-Dough Pizza Dough Frozen
Price: $3.99
Size: 16 OZ PKG

INGREDIENTS:  Pizza Flour, Water (tap, municipal), Corn Oil, Olive Oil, Yeast, Salt, Sugar.

INFO:
Lou Malnati's pizzeria is known for their authentic pizza in the pan, and much of the fame comes from the secret behind the recipe for their legendary flaky, buttery crust. This frozen dough, once thawed, can be patted out into a pan to replicate Lou's deep dish pizza or used on a cookie sheet or pizza pan for a thin crust. Customize it to create your favorite pizza.
Completely defrost dough. Handle gently and do not overwork. Pat out to desired thickness on oiled pan. Best if used within 2 weeks of purchase. For additional instructions, visit www.loumalnatis.com/dough.

Manufacturer:   Lou Malnati's Pizzeria
Address:   Northbrook, IL

The mystery of course is what is "pizza flour?"  While they describe it as buttery, no butter is listed in the ingredients, which is consistent with my experience.  At the restaurant, if you request the extra cost butter crust option, they just brush on some melted butter onto the pre-baked crust.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »

INGREDIENTS:  Pizza Flour, Water (tap, municipal), Corn Oil, Olive Oil, Yeast, Salt, Sugar.

That's different than the frozed pizzas they sell which do not list salt or sugar.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:43:15 PM by DKM »
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline loowaters

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
The addition of salt and sugar will help the shelf life of the product a bit

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2010, 06:29:33 PM »
I wonder what effects it has on the flavor.

Offline garyd

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
Do they ship Lou-to-go-dough?

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »
Yesterday I tried Loo's formula at the bottom of reply 44, except that I replaced the oil with 37g of corn oil and 37g of butter flavored Crisco (was really wanting to try that).  I resisted the urge to add salt.  I put the hook to it just until it was incorporated.  I let it do about a four hour rise and also let it proof in the pan.  Working with the dough, I thought it would be stellar.

The result was ok, but crunchy and not very flavorful.  I should have followed my instinct and added salt (and maybe some garlic powder).  The crunchiness will probably lead me to less oil/shortening - although I wonder if baking it at a higher temp than 475 might help.

But I think is was instructive since I was going for a little more flaky/crunchy than I had gotten before, and wound up overshooting the mark.  But maybe I can bracket it back in now.

Offline loowaters

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2010, 07:51:20 AM »
IndyRob, do you mean you patted it out and then let it proof pan?  If so, why? 

Regarding replacement of oil with butter flavored Crisco, that was 1/2 the oil content correct?  What prompted you try that and why that percentage?  Did you still use olive oil in the same amount? 

I think you're right about that formulation falling flat flavor wise but I really believe their oil is more like an 85/15 corn to olive or even 80/20 rather than the bland 95/5 that I was figuring.  I said earlier in the thread that I based that on estimated information that I had read before.  It's possible that a 95/5 corn oil to extra virgin olive oil ratio could be accurate with the Gino's East clone as we know from their ingredients listing that they use evoo.

Loo

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
That's different than the frozed pizzas they sell which do not list salt or sugar.

DKM,

With the Malnati's frozen deep-dish pizzas, they control all of the ingredients in the pizzas, including salt in the sauce, cheeses (including salt), sweetness of the tomatoes, etc. So, if the desired total flavor profile is there, the missing salt and sugar may not be an issue. However, with the LouToGo dough, the end user customer decides what to put on the pizza. To be sure that there is enough taste and sweetness in the finished pizza, Malnati's may have found it advisable to add some salt and sugar to the dough. Does this make sense?

Peter

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2010, 01:10:16 PM »
IndyRob, do you mean you patted it out and then let it proof pan?  If so, why? 

Regarding replacement of oil with butter flavored Crisco, that was 1/2 the oil content correct?  What prompted you try that and why that percentage?  Did you still use olive oil in the same amount? 

I think you're right about that formulation falling flat flavor wise but I really believe their oil is more like an 85/15 corn to olive or even 80/20 rather than the bland 95/5 that I was figuring.  I said earlier in the thread that I based that on estimated information that I had read before.  It's possible that a 95/5 corn oil to extra virgin olive oil ratio could be accurate with the Gino's East clone as we know from their ingredients listing that they use evoo.

Loo

I actually rolled it lightly and put it in the pan a let it proof.  I was going for lightness.  BTW, I'm not really trying to replicate Malnati's since I've only had the frozen kind and wouldn't know a good Malnati copy if it jumped up and bit me.  I'm just trying to find my own baseline formulation and this looked like a good starting point.  Previously I tried DKM's dough from the recipe page and liked it except, like others, didn't really like the cornmeal.  Then I tried it with all flour and it wasn't what I was looking for.  Then I tried replacing the cornmeal with semolina and that didn't do it for me either.  So I was looking for a new starting point.

I wanted to try Crisco because I equate it with (biscuit) flakiness. and had been reading a lot of Crisco posts.  I just decided to take the oil (veg and olive) as a whole and try half veg oil and half Crisco.  Next time I'll probably try 1/3 Crisco and either 2/3 veg oil, or 1/3 each veg and olive oil.  I'm really looking for texture first.  I feel much more comfortable adjusting flavors once I get the texture I want.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2010, 06:53:09 PM »
DKM,

With the Malnati's frozen deep-dish pizzas, they control all of the ingredients in the pizzas, including salt in the sauce, cheeses (including salt), sweetness of the tomatoes, etc. So, if the desired total flavor profile is there, the missing salt and sugar may not be an issue. However, with the LouToGo dough, the end user customer decides what to put on the pizza. To be sure that there is enough taste and sweetness in the finished pizza, Malnati's may have found it advisable to add some salt and sugar to the dough. Does this make sense?

Peter

I have similar thoughts, I'm more wondering about the flavor difference.

Offline BTB

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
UPS just delivered my Lou-To-Go-Dough. 

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »
Mine is being delivered tomorrow but I probably will not bake it until next week.
Btb- when are you baking?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »
UPS just delivered my Lou-To-Go-Dough. 

I missed something, where did you order it from?

Offline loowaters

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2010, 08:51:14 PM »
That's 16 oz. of dough.  Based on a TF of .121 you need about 16.7 oz. for an 11 in. pan pushing 1 1/2" up the side walls.  14.3 oz. for a 10".

I'm looking forward to the results.

Loo

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »
I missed something, where did you order it from?

They're running a special. The 'Lou-to-Go Dough' is free when you buy 4 Lou's pizzas online thru Tastes Of Chicago.
http://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/Lou_Malnatis_Pizza

I think you can also get it straight from the Lou Malnati's restaurants, but so far I haven't been able to find it in any of the local grocery store freezer aisles.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

pizzapan