Author Topic: A real deep dish video  (Read 30301 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re: A real deep dish video
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »
I canít find a clip (yet) but I know in the past Marc Malnati has talked about going out to oversee the canning operation.  It is possible they use a smaller supplier to maintain control over the process.  They might even be part owner in the operation.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »
Pete! you blow me away with your knowledge! you are soo the master!  thank you for all that you do! you have helped make a ton of people better pizza makers!

mrmojo1,

Thank you very much but on the matter of tomatoes I know just enough to be dangerous. I am sure that if scott r conducted a similar discussion with the broker I spoke with, he would have come away with much more information than I did. Interestingly, however, in all my discussions over the years with professionals in the pizza field I have never had one treat me as other than another professional. You just have to know a few buzz words and drop them into your conversation somewhere along the way.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2010, 11:20:48 AM »
I canít find a clip (yet) but I know in the past Marc Malnati has talked about going out to oversee the canning operation.

DKM,

I seem to recall what you say from a segment that I saw on cable several years ago. I think it was the same segment in which Mark Malnati also talked about the Lake Michigan water and its criticality to the pizzas made at Malnati's, as I noted in Reply 62 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16.msg4964/topicseen.html#msg4964. More recently, when I talked with the corporate chef at Malnati's, he also told me that they periodically go out to the grower and actually go out to the site where the tomatoes are grown. When I checked the Malnati website this morning, I see that the tomatoes and Lake Michigan water are still discussed there, at http://www.loumalnatis.com/About/about-pizza.aspx. Are we now going to have to look for a source of Lake Michigan water, or try to chemically replicate it somehow  :-D?

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2010, 11:44:16 AM »
It's talked about in Travel Network's Pizza Wars.  I have the complete video, but can't find a clip.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2010, 11:55:21 AM »
DKM,

I seem to recall what you say from a segment that I saw on cable several years ago. I think it was the same segment in which Mark Malnati also talked about the Lake Michigan water and its criticality to the pizzas made at Malnati's, as I noted in Reply 62 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16.msg4964/topicseen.html#msg4964. More recently, when I talked with the corporate chef at Malnati's, he also told me that they periodically go out to the grower and actually go out to the site where the tomatoes are grown. When I checked the Malnati website this morning, I see that the tomatoes and Lake Michigan water are still discussed there, at http://www.loumalnatis.com/About/about-pizza.aspx. Are we now going to have to look for a source of Lake Michigan water, or try to chemically replicate it somehow  :-D?

Peter

It is my humble opinion that all the 'water' talk that pizza-makers do in Chicago, and especially New York, is complete and utter BS. It's the food industry's version of Professional Wrestling drama (Our water is better than your water, so you can't possibly make better pizza without it! - and also I'm gonna bodyslam you from the top rope!). I just can't believe that the small amount of trace minerals (and other stuff) could possibly make that much of a difference. Besides that, can you possibly believe that back in the 1940's that the pollution content of the lake water would be the same as it is today?

For the record, I am using Lake Michigan water that is run through an in-line Brita water filter.

p.s. - Yes, I am fully aware that some insane pizza restaurant owners do import their water from New York to make New York Style pizza. It's got to be psychological. You claim you are using New York water, therefore your pizza will taste like the stuff that Lombardi's serves.

p.p.s. - backed up by a Slice.com article about testing mineral content in water:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/01/does-nyc-water-make-a-difference-in-pizza-quality.html
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:16:19 PM by vcb »
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »
It's perhaps not worth debating the water issue given that there are many things that have been done to the Lake Michigan water supply, both good and bad, over the years. One member described the situation with the Lake Michigan water supply as he recalled it at Reply 15 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,291.msg57974.html#msg57974. For all we know, Malnati's uses commercial water filtration/processing systems in its stores.

Peter

Offline TMTM

« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »
You might be right it has a placebo effect... someone should test it... the next time your brother down South tells you to bring some city water with you... just fill up a empty container at your hotel before heading to his house and tell him its from Chicago or NY.. see if he still feels it made a better pizza.. also bring the real city water just in case :)

Offline garyd

« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2010, 01:52:52 PM »
You might be right it has a placebo effect... someone should test it... the next time your brother down South tells you to bring some city water with you... just fill up a empty container at your hotel before heading to his house and tell him its from Chicago or NY.. see if he still feels it made a better pizza.. also bring the real city water just in case :)

I saw a test done on one of the cooking shows on cable last year where they made New York pizzas in a New York pizzeria, making some with NYC tap water and some with other sources of tap water. The tasters concluded that the pizzas made with NYC tap water were indeed much better and tasted like the classic NY style pizza. They concluded that it is indeed the water that sets NY pizza apart from similar pizzas made in other parts of the country.

There is a VPN certified pizzeria here in Denver that advertises that they use NYC water for their pizzas!

Offline dms

« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »
It is my humble opinion that all the 'water' talk that pizza-makers do in Chicago, and especially New York, is complete and utter BS. It's the food industry's version of Professional Wrestling drama (Our water is better than your water, so you can't possibly make better pizza without it! - and also I'm gonna bodyslam you from the top rope!). I just can't believe that the small amount of trace minerals (and other stuff) could possibly make that much of a difference.

It certainly makes that big a difference in beer.  IN some cases, it's the absence of various minerals that cause problems, but yeast are quite sensitive to mineral concentrations.  so are lots of other cooking processes.  Chicago's water is relatively hard with substantial amounts of CaCO3, but very little (essentially zero) iron.  NY city has lower CaCO3, but very high iron content.  There are no doubt other substantial differences as well, but I'm not going to dig up the reports. 

Offline donnamarie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »
So is Comment 148 the best recipe for a Lou's pizza?  If not could you point to the one that you guys agree is the best.  For me, it's all about the crust.

I made some attempts a few years ago following some of the recipes here and had mixed success.

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »
No. 148 is one of the recipes that is on the money for 9 inch...I would encourage you to use 15-20% semolina flour of the total flour used..good luck and go for a 14 incher so you have much more to eat....

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »
With all respect to the work of BTB, if you want what the video is telling you, go with reply 50.   :chef:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10161.msg89174.html#msg89174
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline donnamarie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »
Thanks loo!

I found the great DD Conversion tool.  Now I'm going to go look for your technique in mixing the ingredients, rise time, kneading etc.  I have a KA and I'm thinking 2 minutes on low speed for the knead.  I know I don't want to overknead.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:51:14 PM by donnamarie »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2010, 08:02:12 PM »
I'm rather like this one

100% AP Flour
48% Water
15% Corn Oil
5% Olive Oil
0.5% ADY

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »
Thanks loo!

I have a KA and I'm thinking 2 minutes on low speed for the knead.  I know I don't want to overknead.

I mix somewhere around a minute.  I think I have the entire mixing time on the video my son did.

Offline garyd

« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2010, 04:06:39 AM »
I just noticed this Malnati's video has finally been removed.

Offline loowaters

« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2010, 05:44:30 AM »
No surprise.  It does say it was taken down by the user.  I don't know if we'll ever know if Malnati's asked them to take it down or not.

Loo

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2010, 08:44:32 AM »
Did you ever work out what brand of flour it was.

I might have to do some recon at Lincolnwood  >:D

Offline loowaters

« Reply #178 on: October 07, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »
No.  With the unmarked bags, someone with some serious inside info would have to do that.  Someone posted something about custom milling in Indiana but not sure. 

Loo

Offline Doughball

« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »
Hi Guys,

Anyone notice that the original video from this post has been removed from Youtube? That would be unfortunate!

In any event, I recently watched a video clip of the "My Fox Chicago" morning show. They were doing a segment on the Food Wars: Malnati's vs Uno's with a Malnatiís PR Lady in regards to their victory.  During the piece, they showed some video of workers from inside the kitchen in what looks to be there morning prep.  What peaked my interest was a box of what I think is Mozzarella Cheese (hard to make out the letters, but Iím pretty sure thatís what it is) sitting on the prep table. The box is the proper size for what could be 8 loafs of cheese and has large Red, White & Blue Strips on the side. It seems that the employees are panning and cheesing the pizza for later baking. Does anyone have any idea what Dairy or Food service distributer this may have come from or where Malnatiís sources there cheese???

I am not able to post links, but if you google "My Fox Chicago Lou Malnatis" it will pop right up!

pizzapan