Author Topic: Soy Flour  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Lou Dog

Soy Flour
« on: January 31, 2010, 02:19:48 PM »
First off, I'd like to thank BTB for opening my eyes toward semolina flour--it's become the game changer in the dough.  But I was dog sitting for my parents while they were out of town & I went to get pizza ingredients & unfortunately, they didn't have the Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, but they did have their soy flour.  Similar color to the semolina, but the consistency wasn't as light.  Anyhow, I used the same amount (one cup) of the soy flour as I normally use of the semolina.  Who knows, it might have been their pan or the dough might not have fully come to room temp (a little over an hour), but there was a bit of sticking to the pan afterwards.  Worse yet, the bottom crust was rather soft.  I didn't have my camera to take pics, but I shall try try again back at my place & follow up.  Has anyone else tried mixing soy flour with all purpose?  Results?

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
Re: Soy Flour
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »

I was just going to ask this.

Someone posted soy flour helped increase protein in AP flours? 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Soy Flour
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 09:44:53 PM »
Soy flour has been used with Italian flours for many years to make pizza dough, as noted in Replies 13 and 14 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1901.msg16875.html#msg16875. Also, in recent times, soy has been increasingly used to make frozen doughs, quite possibly as a way of increasing the protein content of low protein flours. I discussed one such effort with respect to the Lehmann NY style dough at Reply 721 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg62457/topicseen.html#msg62457.

I don't think that I would use soy flour as a substitute for semolina flour, especially in large quantities.

Peter