Author Topic: my dough keeps sticking to the pan :(  (Read 3267 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
my dough keeps sticking to the pan :(
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:52:04 PM »
I'm trying to make a gluten-free pizza crust.  After I form the dough (so moist it's almost more like a batter), and smooth it out into a very well-oiled non-stick 12" pan, I try to par-bake it at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  (Basically, I'm trying to replicate a crust that's baked by a company, then frozen and shipped out to pizzerias to be used for pizzas.)

The problem is, when I take it out, the crust is totally stuck to the pan, and just starting to burn.  What can I do to prevent the sticking?  Any more oil on the pan, and the dough/batter will be swimming in oil :(  And I can't see baking at a lower temperature....should I really be going lower than 350 to par-bake?  Or is it just a question of doing it for a shorter length of time?  I could try that, but I hesitate to do so, because any shorter and I think the crust wouldn't "firm up" enough.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: my dough keeps sticking to the pan :(
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 01:13:42 PM »
Dave,

What kind of pan are you using?

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 01:16:03 PM »
Dave,

What kind of pan are you using?

Peter

Hi Peter, I'm using a standard 12" non-stick pan (no holes).  It looks extremely similar to this one:
http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/index.asp?pageid=231&upc=70950645903

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 02:59:08 PM »
David,

The reason I asked you what type of pan you are using is because I thought that perhaps a dark anodized pan might be a better choice. In the U.S., such pans are available from places like pizzatools.com (Lloyd Industries), American Metalcraft and Chicago Metallic. However, because such pans cost orders of magnitude more than the Baker's Secret pan you referenced, I did not want to suggest that you buy such a pan without knowing if it will work for your purposes. So, to get an answer as to the suitability of a dark anodized pan for making gluten-free shells, I called pizzatools.com since I am aware of their PSTK dark anodized pans and disks and own several of them and can speak to their high quality. After I explained your dilemma to the customer service rep (who said she has a niece with celiac disorder), she spoke to the president of the company since she did not personally know whether people, including those in the pizza industry, were using the PSTK products to make gluten-free shells. She was told that the people who have used their PSTK pans to make gluten-free products have reported that, while the PSTK pans are not perfect, they are better than the other types of pans that have been used to make such products. She cautioned me, however, that their pans do not require bake temperatures or bake times that are as high or as long as used with bare aluminum pans, and that one should avoid using temperatures that are too high or bake times that are too long. She said this was true of all pizza products, not just GF products. She also suggested that one oil their pans or disks before baking the GF shells. Because of the cost of the PSTK pans and disks, she suggested trying one pan or disk before committing to further purchases.

As for possible pans, the customer service rep said that the a PSTK disk is a good choice for a thin-crust shell, a cutter pan is a good choice for a medium-thickness shell, and one might consider a deep-dish pan for something on the thick side.

pizzatools.com does ship to Canada. You might also find that there are vendors in Canada who sell dark anodized pans comparable to the pizzatools.com PSTK pans and disks.

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:18:03 PM »
Wow, Peter....thank you so much for checking into that!  That's going way beyond the call of duty...I appreciate it :)

I actually still have a PSTK disc that I ordered years ago from pizzatools, in my pre-celiac days.  It has holes though, so would not work for the kind of dough I have to make these days (more of a batter).  I wouldn't be able to use it anyway due to cross-contamination issues.

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain it's a pan issue.  I use the same pan for other GF pizza I make (from a mix), and that pizza doesn't come anywhere close to sticking to the pan (in fact, it's quite loose and slides around if I make it less than the full 12" diameter of the pan).  I'm wondering whether it's a temperature issue or an ingredients issue or even a moisture issue.  It's quite sticky dough, highly moist (1/2 cup water to just over 1 cup of flour); perhaps that has something to do with it?  When I pat it down into the pan, it seems to just "glom on" to the pan; while my other pizza dough, less moist, doesn't seem anywhere near as sticky.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »
Sorry to dredge up an oooooolllld topic, but hey, zombie threads only hurt if they bite you in the head ;) 

It took me two years, but I've finally gotten a dark anodized pan.  This one, in fact:
http://www.amazon.ca/USA-Pans-14-Inch-Crust-Anodized/dp/B0047N13KW

And I'm using a King Arthur Flours gluten free pizza recipe.  This one, in fact:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/06/01/what-do-readers-say-about-our-gluten-free-pizza-crust-%E2%80%9Camazing%E2%80%9D/

This recipe is absolutely delicious.  It is also incredibly frustrating, because it sticks to the pan something awful.  And I have no idea why.  I'm following the directions to the letter.  And let me tell you, I've never had to grease a pizza pan before; simple cooking spray has always done the trick.  But this pan, I'm greasing, and it also has a couple tablespoons of olive oil on it.  Yet it sticks like glue.

The only difference I can see between what I'm doing and the recipe itself, is that they call for "stabilized brown rice flour" in their gluten free flour blend, and I'm just using brown rice flour. 

Now here's the weird bit.  Someone came up with a variation on the same recipe, using Gluten Free Pantry's "french bread and pizza crust" mix.  Very similar.  I've tried this variation.  I have NO problems whatsoever with sticking when I use this variation.  Zero.  And I don't even use grease in the pan with the variation.

I'm racking my brain trying to come up with reasons why one recipe sticks and the variation doesn't.  The only difference I can think of is temperature; the original recipe says to bake at 425, but the variation calls for 500 degrees.  Could that be it?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:06:48 AM by canadave »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »

I haven't worked with gluten free so I can't answer but King Arthur has a bakers hotline.  You might be able to get someone that has good gluten free experience and help you out. 

pizzapan