Author Topic: how to reactivate a dormant sourdough  (Read 1525 times)

Offline mooncrickett

how to reactivate a dormant sourdough
« on: March 15, 2010, 12:32:49 AM »
Greetings all, i have had a sourdough yeast in my fridge now for about 1 1/2 mo.  my question is how do i bring it fully active again? I did the following and my dough has not risen.....took yeast out of fridge, stirred hooch back in and poured out about 1 cup. fed the yeast 2/3 cup with cup warm water and let sit in 70 degree room for about 4hrs. yeast rose then i put in heated container 90-95 degrees for another 8 hrs.....then proceed to make dough......now my dough has been at room temp for 10 1/2 hrs and has not risen..BTW i used Jeff V dough recipe...I think that either iam not reactivating it correctly or using too little yeast....
The perfect lover is one who turns into a pizza at 12:00 p.m

Offline malvanova

Re: how to reactivate a dormant sourdough
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:56:01 AM »
 hey.

did you only add water to the the starter, it needs same amount of flour as water to feed the little fungi's, how warm was water? i believe the starter most be active when added to final dough you let it rest for 8 hours hhmmmmm I dont know about that
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:05:29 AM by malvanova »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 02:31:25 AM »
Greetings all, i have had a sourdough yeast in my fridge now for about 1 1/2 mo.  my question is how do i bring it fully active again? I did the following and my dough has not risen.....took yeast out of fridge, stirred hooch back in and poured out about 1 cup. fed the yeast 2/3 cup with cup warm water and let sit in 70 degree room for about 4hrs. yeast rose then i put in heated container 90-95 degrees for another 8 hrs.....then proceed to make dough......now my dough has been at room temp for 10 1/2 hrs and has not risen..BTW i used Jeff V dough recipe...I think that either iam not reactivating it correctly or using too little yeast....

I think you answered your own question here.  How much did your yeast rise after feeding and sitting for 4 hours?  Was it 25%? 50%?  Did it look active to you?  Lot's of foaming or bubbling?  If not then you needed to feed it again and give it another couple of hours.  It is common i believe for some to feed it up to 3 times after it's been dormant for a month or 2 prior to using. 

Also how much of the starter did you use per pie?  I am assuming 15gm (about 1 heaping Tablespoon)?  When I bake a same day pie, I will usually use 1-2 T of starter and 1/3 tsp of ADY per pie.  Some may think that's a bit much but it works out pretty well for me. 

Jeff's recipe calls for very little ADY.  Actually he says it's optional only if you want that extra poof in the dough.  His recipe is also for a dough that's to be cold fermented for 3 days.  If you are going to bake the same day, you should feed your starter a few more times and then up your yeast.    With a weak starter and just a pinch of yeast, I'm not suprise your dough didn't rise much. 

Your starter is ready to use when you feed it and leave it at room temperature and it gets very active within a couple of hours.   If it takes longer than that, then you need to feed it several more times.   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:31:31 AM by Tranman »

Offline mooncrickett

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »
my mistake may have been using the yeast after it completely fell...which i did without another feeding
The perfect lover is one who turns into a pizza at 12:00 p.m

pizzapan