Author Topic: Chicago Metallic (other) pan- Denver? Emergency 911  (Read 1432 times)

Offline peetzabone

Chicago Metallic (other) pan- Denver? Emergency 911
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »
Soooo.. we settled on making our first Chicago Style pie tomorrow for SuperBowl Sunday...  and I *thought* I knew where to get a pan (Bed Bath Beyond) but calling 2 of the stores has yielded no fruit.  Any of you Denver pizza pros know where I can find a pan? I really don't want the maiden voyage to be in a cast iron skillet....

Do you know of any restaurants that use these that I might try to schmooze for a borrow?
 :-\

Offline BTB

Re: Chicago Metallic (other) pan- Denver? Emergency 911
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 12:03:07 PM »
peetzabone,

Well I'm far from you and can't probably offer much advice.  My only thought is if you go into the BB&B, they usually always in my experience have 9" and 14" pans that can be used for dd pizza.  If you called and asked for pizza pans, I doubt if the average BB&B employee would know that their "cake" pans serve the same purpose and would advise you of such (not meaning to disparage their employees).  So unless they're far away, suggest going into their store or find a specialty baking store that has pans, instruments and other things for cooking and baking.  Matter of fact, I remember seeing darker coated "cake" pans, which are often the same as deep dish pizza pans at most regular grocery stores.  Or even a JC Penny's or similar store. 

But when you have the time, check out pizzatools.com.  They're among the best in my book.

Good luck, take pictures and share your successes (and failures if any) with us.

--BTB

Offline pizzard

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »

You might want to try a Williams-Sonoma, or a Sur la Table...both carry pizza making pans/peels etc..., and both have locations in the Denver area.  Also perhaps Crate and Barrel.  I would go to their websites first, and then call the store to see if they have what you are looking for.

Offline peetzabone

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 12:35:06 PM »
BTB- thanks for advice- I was thinking of cake pans but wondered what the difference is?? What *is* a pizza pan that makes it different from a cake pan? They are almost always dark (pizza pans) which leads me to assume that the heat absorption and transfer from darker pans is desired in pizza (rather than the reflection of shiny pans). What about density and material? Are good pizza pans dense (slow to heat, consistent in heat transfer) or lighter (quick to heat?). Are they all aluminum or do they have other materials? What about the air-core pans that are designed to be even more consistent in heating?

Last question, I promise... I have a high quality, dark metallic spring form pan... obviously removal from the pan would be a snap- but do these pans work for pizza dough?

Offline peetzabone

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »

You might want to try a Williams-Sonoma, or a Sur la Table...both carry pizza making pans/peels etc..., and both have locations in the Denver area.  Also perhaps Crate and Barrel.  I would go to their websites first, and then call the store to see if they have what you are looking for.

Thanks Pizzard! I had already tried all of the above (and also Target, Cost Plus and a couple of the restaurant supply houses). Now that I know "cake pans" are in the mix I may be in luck. I'll post what I find...

Now.. to find good tomatoes in Denver on a Saturday!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 02:35:13 PM »
I always use a spring form pan that is most often used for things like cheese cakes.  The big advantage is you just flip the catch, take off the side then  slide the pizza off the bottom.  You can almost always find cheap ones.

Randy

parallei

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
Sur la Table -  Cherry Creek Mall

That's where I got my pan for deep dish.  I was in there last week and I pretty sure they had some in stock.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »
Agreed, if your local Sur La Table is open today, look for the heavy gauge aluminum or aluminized steel cake pans.
I prefer the steel ones, but everyone has a favorite. I don't know how large you want your pizzas to be,
but if you're in a crunch, the 9 or 10 inch cake pans are the easiest to find, and Target carries heavy gauge Wilton brand that should work well too.

Dark pans are great, but I've had good success with lighter colored and unseasoned pans too.
Veterans of this forum will tell you that it's the 'outside' of the pan that you want to get dark because it will absorb heat better (search the forums for tips on how to season your pan).

-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline peetzabone

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 07:34:33 PM »
yup yup- they had them in the "cake" section. I'm good to go. Thanks for help everyone..