Author Topic: Any references or reviews out there for ZESTO gas deck ovens?  (Read 3341 times)

Offline RichPugh

• I'll bet you $1 I can get you to gamble today...
Any references or reviews out there for ZESTO gas deck ovens?
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:19:33 PM »
Hello everyone... I'm new here and this is my first post. Tons of great info in here but after several searches for info on Zesto deck ovens (specifically a 215-SS), I've had no luck. I've also searched and posted this on PMQ/TT...

We're opening a small pizzeria tavern and will be preparing handmade pizza in a somewhat of a Neapolitan style...  w/ a simple dough and sauce from scratch and fresh cheeses and herbs & spices. We're not in any position to purchase (nor experienced with) a wood burning brick oven nor do we anticipate a very high volume thru-rate that would require us to use a double stacked oven set or a conveyor (i.e., we'll be serving the majority of our 9-10" and 15-16" pies in-house and hope to sustain a fair small local delivery service), so basically, we want to make great pies without the necessity of a WFBO but also without the need for something like a double stack Y602 set... so we are looking at alternatives to buying even a single Y600 in used condition.

I stumbled across Zesto Ovens. According to the spec sheet and after seeing a smaller one on display at a local Restaurant Equipment warehouse, the 215-SS, with its comparable (to the Y600) baking compartment size, 5 burners, 1 year parts/labor warranty and relatively low new pricing seems like a great alternative to buying even a single used BP Y600 or Blodgett 961. The therm goes up to 650F but the specs listed only state 600F but the BTUH is 102,000, a fair amount for keeping up with volume baking.

Does anyone know of a pizzeria using one of these Zesto 215-SS ovens that I could call for a reference? I will be calling Zesto directly to get more info and possibly ask them for references but I figured I'd ask around online while I'm snowed in for the next 2-3 days :)

I'm still convinced the Y600 is a wonderful oven, even in 10+ year old used working order. I've used one at previous pizzerias and loved them, but for my new business, I'm just researching different and alternative ovens.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

-Rich

Offline RichPugh

Re: Any references or reviews out there for ZESTO gas deck ovens?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »
FYI, I spoke with a kitchen manager in Georgia who is using these ovens and LOVES them. Theyre opening up several other locations and will be only using these ovens. I'm considering taking a chance...

The cost savings is fairly worth the shot in the nearly-dark, especially if they work as well as they claim. Their pizzas look good...

link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1896837706?bctid=6691742001

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:57:21 AM »
Well... what is the advantage of Zesto over Baker's pride... cost?  even Zesto new vs BP used?

I have never heard of Zesto but it doesn't mean it can't work.  One thing I do not see are any dampers to adjust top heat.
Patrick

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »

I'm still convinced the Y600 is a wonderful oven, even in 10+ year old used working order. I've used one at previous pizzerias and loved them, but for my new business, I'm just researching different and alternative ovens.

-Rich

Bakers Pride may have been a really good oven once, but the ones we've bought the past few years have been pretty crappy (thermopyle always breaking) and I heard from a good source that we're not the only ones having problems with them.  I would not recommend BP to anyone.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:25 AM »
Have you checked out the Marsal ovens?  They are cheaper than BP, come with 2" deck...

I believe that they are better insulated, due to their 0" clearance rating.  No oven I know of has a 0" clearance other than Marsal. 
Patrick

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:18:02 AM »
Have you checked out the Marsal ovens?  They are cheaper than BP, come with 2" deck...

I believe that they are better insulated, due to their 0" clearance rating.  No oven I know of has a 0" clearance other than Marsal. 

I second that.  I love our older Marsal ovens.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
I have used two different types of marsal ovens, and they were both AWESOME!    I even know of a pizzeria in San Fran that has had their marsal modified to be able to do high temp pizzas, and they are making coal oven/wood burning oven style pizza without all the hassle.   

Offline RichPugh

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:17:59 PM »
I have used two different types of marsal ovens, and they were both AWESOME!    I even know of a pizzeria in San Fran that has had their marsal modified to be able to do high temp pizzas, and they are making coal oven/wood burning oven style pizza without all the hassle.   

Thats my goal... with the use of a nice wood box smoker inside to add a subtle smokiness and pies baked on the stone deck at near or over 600f. I have looked at the Marsals and they were originally my 2nd choice behind the BP. I only held BP in such high regards because I ran one for several years and I am familiar with it and its capabilities. The cost savings of a NEW Zesto 215 versus a USED BP Y-600 are nominal but you get a new product with comparable specs (albeit, no dampers for top heat controls as mentioned... which is worth a lot I agree) and it comes with a 1 year parts/labor warranty. And if I buy it with my AMEX, they extend the factory warranty by a year LOL. There are places on ebay selling new Y-600's for $5999! I cant tell if its legit or not...

I do plan to run the oven at over 600f for a neapolitan "style" baked pizza. I use the term neapolitan very lightly because I am not baking in a wood fired brick oven but the pies are surely closer to neapolitan than NYC style or general artisan style. I am using a fairly high hydration dough (around 70%) and caputo/bread flour mix. I believe the coined term around here is nearlypolitan? :)

Perhaps I will take a look at the Marsal SD660's again... Thanks fellahs.

Offline RichPugh

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »
Just an update...

After a lot more research and even calling around to different pizzerias and speaking with the kitchen managers and owners to see how they liked their ovens, I think we are going to go with a Marsal MB-42 or MB-60 over the BPY600 or any other oven. Plenty of BTU for recovery, capable of maintaining at or over 600F, 2" hearth fire brick surface and 1-1/2" brick lined arched ceiling and 1-1/2" brick lined back, 0" clearancing (i.e., wonderful insulation), side-to-side burner positioning, interior light, stackable for possible expansion needs, ... I think we found a winner!

Our tavern, without having the panache of a wood fired brick oven, should still be able to put out well received pizza using the MB series ovens. As much as I want to bake with a wood fired brick oven, our facility (which we do not own and are just now finalizing a long term lease on) would require thousands and thousands of dollars in structural modification just to get one brought in... OR that much more to build one from scratch inside the kitchen by a reputable builder. We're a "behind-closed-doors" kitchen so there will be very limited visibility into the kitchen to see the oven so we dont benefit from any of the decorative faces or anything either. I would love to hear more reviews out there for the MB series but I think all its gonna do is make us want to buy it more

IMHO, It's worth it to spend a bit more money on a good deck oven than to worry about a couple thousand dollar saving on getting a fair one... I've raised my budget on oven/mixer obviously LOL