Author Topic: ADY vs. IDY  (Read 1903 times)

Offline SSalty

ADY vs. IDY
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:35:47 PM »
I did a search I didn't have any luck.

Which is better ADY or IDY.

If a recipee calls for IDY can I use the same amount of ADY? I'm asking this because I have a big jar of ADY.

Thanks.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: ADY vs. IDY
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »
Which is better ADY or IDY.

If a recipee calls for IDY can I use the same amount of ADY? I'm asking this because I have a big jar of ADY.

SSalty,

It's a matter of personal preference. You can get a pretty good feel for the differences in the two forms of yeast at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5341.msg45206/topicseen.html#msg45206. ADY has to be rehydrated in a part of the formula water (about 4-5 times the weight of the ADY) at a temperature of about 105 degrees F for about 10 minutes. It can then be combined with the rest of the formula water, which can be cooler. By contrast, IDY can be mixed in with the flour and other dry ingredients. For some people, that is a big convenience. However, as you will note from the link in Reply 2 referenced above that November says he will use ADY for the rest of his life.

Some people use ADY and IDY interchangeably but technically they should be used at different rates. If a recipe calls for IDY, you can convert to ADY by increasing the weight of the IDY by a third. Or you might be able to use the yeast conversion table at http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm.

Peter

Offline SSalty

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:31:59 PM »
You're the man!

Thanks Pete!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:22:27 PM by SSalty »

Offline s00da

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:51:02 PM »
Some people use ADY and IDY interchangeably but technically they should be used at different rates.

Hi Pete  :D

Something I noticed a while ago. ADY and IDY are almost interchangeable by "volume".

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »
Saad,

In the U.S., yeast producers sell ADY and IDY at the retail consumer level in packets of 0.25 ounces. Today, I looked at a packet of each, and there is a statement on the ADY packet that says that it contains 2 1/4 teaspoons of ADY. The packet of IDY says that it contains approximately 2 1/4 teaspoons of IDY. Because they are fairly close, I have seen recipes that do not differentiate between the two types of yeast from a volume standpoint. But, you are correct, the two types of yeast are fairly close from a volume standpoint. As an example, if you look at the yeast conversion chart at http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm and use 0.58 ounces as an example, 0.58 ounces of ADY is 5.75 teaspoons and for IDY it is 6 teaspoons, or a 1/4-teaspoon difference. However, since people aren't always meticulous in the way they measure out things like yeast (e.g., some use level measurements, some use scant, some use heaping, etc.), and since measuring spoons can have different possible shapes and can be constructed of different types of materials with different manufacturing tolerances, you can see how the difference of 1/4 teaspoon in the above example can get lost fairly easily. 

Peter