Author Topic: Tried A White Pizza Tonight  (Read 17752 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Tried A White Pizza Tonight
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:35 PM »
Tried a white pizza in my home oven on the stone.  Must say itís a lot easier to load the pizza into a deck oven. Also easier to turn the pie in a deck oven. This is one of the frozen dough balls left over from this week of the regular Lehmann formula.

The white pie was dressed with fresh made pesto, ricotta cheese mixed with milk, mozzarella, a few red peppers flakes, sundried tomatoes, a little Italian seasoning, oregano and after taking out of the oven fresh parsley was added.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re: Tried A White Pizza Tonight
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
It looks good.  How did it taste?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »
It looks good.  How did it taste?

RoadPizza,

Thanks, for saying it looks good.

The white pie tasted great.  I would change the brand of ricotta the next time I try the White Pizza.  The other problem I had was my home oven only gets up to 450 degrees F.   :-\

Norma

parallei

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 11:21:53 PM »
Norma:

Looks great!  I'll need to wait until tomorrow evening for my pie.  I'm going to take another shot at Loowater's Home Run Inn pizza.

Paralleli

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 11:31:38 PM »
Norma:

Looks great!  I'll need to wait until tomorrow evening for my pie.  I'm going to take another shot at Loowater's Home Run Inn pizza.

Paralleli

Paralleli,

Thanks for saying the White Pizza looks great. Good luck in making your Loowater's Home Run Inn  pizza.  :)  That sound great, also.

Norma

Offline jcamador

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
Hi Norma- that white pie looks really tasty! I tried my first white pies a few days ago am was surprised by how much I liked them. Not sure why I haven't tried them before, but they will definitely be on the menu from now on!

Where do you place your stone when baking? I have found with low temp ovens that placing the stone on the oven deck (if it fires from the bottom) and against the back and to one side that you can use the walls to reflect some of the heat. It won't be the best but you try to use everything to your advantage :)

BTW I've enjoyed reading through your posts! Great pics!!
jason

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 02:17:37 PM »
Hi Norma- that white pie looks really tasty! I tried my first white pies a few days ago am was surprised by how much I liked them. Not sure why I haven't tried them before, but they will definitely be on the menu from now on!

Where do you place your stone when baking? I have found with low temp ovens that placing the stone on the oven deck (if it fires from the bottom) and against the back and to one side that you can use the walls to reflect some of the heat. It won't be the best but you try to use everything to your advantage :)

BTW I've enjoyed reading through your posts! Great pics!!

jcamador,

Yes, I really like the White Pizza, also. I will have to try something different for the white part.  I am satisfied with the mozzarella and other toppings, but not the blend I did of ricotta and milk. 

I placed my stone on the center rack.  I will have to follow your directions when I make the next pie in my home oven and put the stone on the deck to see how that works. 

Thanks for the advise  :) and saying you enjoyed my posts and pics.

Norma

Offline jcamador

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
Norma- the last white pies (actually my first) had a bechamel base which actually was very tasty...maybe something to try?

link to pics...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10189.0.html
jason

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 03:07:50 PM »
jcamador,

Your pie sure does look delicious!  :)  The blend of bechamel, mozzarella, asiago, slow-roasted tomatoes, and basil sure sound delicious.

Do you have a special recipe to make the bechamel base?

Thanks for the link,

Norma

Offline jcamador

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
Thanks Norma! Here is what I did for the bechamel:

-sautee shallots in a little olive oil
-deglaze with a little white wine (or chicken stock)
-add cream and reduce
- season with fresh thyme, garlic powder, and a bit of parmesan

taste for seasoning...enjoy!
jason

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »
Here is what I did for the bechamel:

-sautee shallots in a little olive oil
-deglaze with a little white wine (or chicken stock)
-add cream and reduce
- season with fresh thyme, garlic powder, and a bit of parmesan

taste for seasoning...enjoy!

jcamador,

Thanks for your recipe for bechamel,  :) I will try that the next time I make a White Pizza. 
The bechamel really sounds delicious!

Norma

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:13:23 PM by norma427 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 09:01:56 PM »
Norma,
As allways looks great!! Very tasty I bet I have done the white pizza and loved it!! but only in the WFO. I throw a little homemade pesto under the mixture, and a swirk of EVOO on top (  Hot oven !)  I Went a little overboard with the white  ;D
John
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:14:37 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 09:28:41 PM »
Norma,
As allways looks great!! Very tasty I bet I have done the white pizza and loved it!! but only in the WFO. I throw a little homemade pesto under the mixture, and a swirk of EVOO on top (  Hot oven !)  I Went a little overboard with the white  ;D
John

John,

Thanks for saying the White Pizza looks great.  :)  Your White Pizza really look tasty, also.  Wish I had a WFO to try some pies.  :-\  You sure do makes lots of kinds of pies.

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 10:35:28 PM »
Norma & John,
The pies look good.  It inspired me to do a white pie also.  I was too lazy and went with the old DeAngelis dough dressing pie.  Mince garlic in EVOO, add a little sugar, and let sit.  Paint the skin, add cheese, and bake.  You can also add spice to the oil, or not even add cheese at all.  It makes a good foccacia dressing with just spice (ie. Rosemary).  Norma I used my Camoldi with the KA Special.  It was really good.  I can't wait to start the Ischia.  Are you going to start yours soon?

Thanks,

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 10:48:38 PM »
Norma & John,
The pies look good.  It inspired me to do a white pie also.  I was too lazy and went with the old DeAngelis dough dressing pie.  Mince garlic in EVOO, add a little sugar, and let sit.  Paint the skin, add cheese, and bake.  You can also add spice to the oil, or not even add cheese at all.  It makes a good foccacia dressing with just spice (ie. Rosemary).  Norma I used my Camoldi with the KA Special.  It was really good.  I can't wait to start the Ischia.  Are you going to start yours soon?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Thanks, and your pie looks great, too.  Your crumb structure looks nice!   :)
I think you could get a great foccacia dressing with adding almost any ingredients and letting it sit for awhile. 
I have the Ischia and Camoldi starters for a long while, but haven't activated them.  I thought I needed to try different preferments with the Lehmann dough, because that is what I sell.  I have just been using the natural starters and experimenting with different starters and formula's.  Someday, I will move on to the Ischia and Camoldi starters and try other kinds of dough with them.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 10:51:33 PM »
Norma,

I don't know if you or your customers are into oysters and clams but they work very well with white pizzas, and should work well with the Lehmann NY style dough recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,702.msg6358.html#msg6358 and Reply 78 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.msg72399.html#msg72399.

Peter

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 11:06:37 PM »
Norma,

I don't know if you or your customers are into oysters and clams but they work very well with white pizzas, and should work well with the Lehmann NY style dough recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,702.msg6358.html#msg6358 and Reply 78 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.msg72399.html#msg72399.

Peter

I don't know how that's going to work (with the oysters and clams), considering that Norma displays her pizzas.  I'd have the same problem if I tried it.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 11:10:35 PM »
RoadPizza,

I was thinking more of whole pizzas made to order rather than slices but you raise a good point. There may also not be enough demand for such pizzas to inventory oysters and clams.

Peter

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 11:13:28 PM »
RoadPizza,

I was thinking more of whole pizzas made to order rather than slices but you raise a good point. There may also not be enough demand for such pizzas to inventory oysters and clams.

Peter

I would love to do it, but you're right.  It works better made-to-order.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 11:13:48 PM »
Peter,

I would enjoy an oyster or clam pizza, but I donít know if my customers would.  They are mostly plain cheese and pepperoni..sometimes sausage.  
The oyster pizza does sound tasty with the jalapenos and Monterey Jack Cheese.  Did the pizza taste hot with the jalapenos added?  Your clam and bacon pizza sounds good to me.
Both of your White Pizzaís look great.
It is also interesting how you got a higher oven temperature by removing the lowest oven rack position from the oven and placing the stone on three pieces of bricks on the oven floor.  I also need a hotter oven temperature at home.

I just have to keep experimenting with the preferment to try and achieve a better Lehmann dough.  I might add a White Pizza someday, if I can achieve the flavor profile I want.

Thanks for the links,

Norma