Author Topic: Tried A White Pizza Tonight  (Read 18571 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Tried A White Pizza Tonight
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »
Norma,

That is also a very nice pizza. Did anyone comment on the Ranch dressing on the pizza, one way or the other? Also, did you sell any of the slices (as your sign suggests) and, if so, how did they go over?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »

That is also a very nice pizza. Did anyone comment on the Ranch dressing on the pizza, one way or the other? Also, did you sell any of the slices (as your sign suggests) and, if so, how did they go over?

Peter,

Thanks for saying that is a nice pizza.  You were right, about the Ranch dressing adding to the flavor of the Buffalo Chicken White Pizza.  My daughter and I each had one slice.  I sold 3 slices.  My daughter also wanted to take a slice along home to eat.  She already ate the other slice.  :)
I am going to start making the White Buffalo Pie for market.  I think this pie is different and since most people like wings, hopefully they will like this pie.  I usually make a sign if I am going to try a new kind of pizza.  Then if I decide the pie was good, I already have a sign made.

Thanks for the idea,  :)

Norma

scott123

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »
Norma, I'm in the process of developing a buffalo chicken pizza for myself, so I've been mulling this topic over in my mind quite a bit during the last few days.

It sounds like you and your daughter are extremely pleased with your results, but if you were open to a little more tweaking, I have an idea or two.

I think a bit part of the buffalo chicken experience is a warm, spicy wing with cold tangy dressing. Also, when you cook creamy dressing it basically just separates into it's primary ingredient- oil.  I like pretty rich pizzas, but between the butter in sauce and the milkfat in the cheese, the extra oiliness from the cooked dressing might be overkill.  You might want to think about dressing the pie when you sell it.  Have two ketchup bottles- one with ranch and one with blue cheese and ask the customer what they want.  With a little practice, you can probably do a pretty design in a few seconds.

That should allow you to ease off on a bit of the oiliness and give your customers that warm chicken + cool dressing experience. It would also make the blue cheese optional, something that could appeal to more customers. I've never seen any numbers on this, but I think there's a good number of people out there that just don't like blue cheese. Another thing to consider is that warmth magnifies flavors, so, even for people that like chilled blue cheese dressing, warm blue cheese in a pizza might be a little too intense.

You know your customers.  If you think you have some blue cheese loving customers that you know are going to love this, then, by all means do what you're doing. But if you want to cast the widest net possible, I'd make the blue cheese optional.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 01:16:09 AM »
Norma, I'm in the process of developing a buffalo chicken pizza for myself, so I've been mulling this topic over in my mind quite a bit during the last few days.

It sounds like you and your daughter are extremely pleased with your results, but if you were open to a little more tweaking, I have an idea or two.

I think a bit part of the buffalo chicken experience is a warm, spicy wing with cold tangy dressing. Also, when you cook creamy dressing it basically just separates into it's primary ingredient- oil.  I like pretty rich pizzas, but between the butter in sauce and the milkfat in the cheese, the extra oiliness from the cooked dressing might be overkill.  You might want to think about dressing the pie when you sell it.  Have two ketchup bottles- one with ranch and one with blue cheese and ask the customer what they want.  With a little practice, you can probably do a pretty design in a few seconds.

That should allow you to ease off on a bit of the oiliness and give your customers that warm chicken + cool dressing experience. It would also make the blue cheese optional, something that could appeal to more customers. I've never seen any numbers on this, but I think there's a good number of people out there that just don't like blue cheese. Another thing to consider is that warmth magnifies flavors, so, even for people that like chilled blue cheese dressing, warm blue cheese in a pizza might be a little too intense.

You know your customers.  If you think you have some blue cheese loving customers that you know are going to love this, then, by all means do what you're doing. But if you want to cast the widest net possible, I'd make the blue cheese optional.

scott123,

I will also have to think about your ideas on how you think the Buffalo White Pizza might be made. Maybe it would be a good idea to have both dressing in a ketchup bottle.  The only problems I could foresee with that idea is having the bottles out of the deli case. When a food inspector comes to inspect my stand, I would need to keep the dressings in the deli case and then get them out for each customer that would want dressings.  The design work is interesting. The pizza didnít seem greasy.  I didnít put as much mozzarella on this pie as my regular pies.
Let me know when you are finished tweaking your Buffalo White Pizza and how you think the taste is.  Your input would be helpful.
We have a place near us that sells wings.  I know everyone likes different kind of wings, so my opinion isnít always right.  I love the wings from Mosbyís Pub.  Here is a link and the awards from Lancaster County people that voted them ďThe Best WingsĒ in our local newspaper.
I thought the pizza tasted just like their wings.

At first I thought using the Ranch Dressing in combination with the Blue Cheese Crumbles didnít sound very good, but after trying it, I really liked the combination of the dressing and blue cheese.               

http://www.mosbyspub.com/page14/page14.html wings awards

http://www.mosbyspub.com/page1/files/page1_1.pdf  whole menu

Spicy Chikin Wings - $5.95 perDozen
$3.00 per _ Dozen
$1.00 - celery and blue cheez

Thanks for your ideas,

Norma
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:38:18 AM by norma427 »

scott123

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 01:42:58 AM »
Norma, I'm sure the food inspector wouldn't mind if you keep the ketchup bottles in a small container of ice.

On the other hand, if your pizza has, in your opinion, an award winning taste, then don't mess with success.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 06:20:36 AM »
Norma, I'm sure the food inspector wouldn't mind if you keep the ketchup bottles in a small container of ice.

On the other hand, if your pizza has, in your opinion, an award winning taste, then don't mess with success.

scott123 ,

Keeping the ketchup bottles in ice is a possibility.  I am open to any new ideas and am not sure if this Buffalo White Pizza was the best there could be.  I have never tried any kind of pizza made with chicken before.  As you said before, each persons taste is different.  I will have to try your idea of a comparison between the two ways to make this pizza.  I do have ketchup bottles at market from when I was trying to sell wings.  I gave up on that idea because I had to make the wings in the oven and they were too time consuming and expensive.  I am not allowed to have a fryer because I don't have an exhaust hood and Ansul system.
When I have time in the next few weeks, I will try your idea and get the other stand holders to taste each kind of Buffalo White Pizza and see what they have to say. 

Thanks for your ideas,  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:24:57 AM by norma427 »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 07:34:04 AM »
Norma,

A chef friend gave me some of these squeeze bottles.

http://www.fifobottle.com/

Easy to clean and dispense. Amazon sells them.

For a white sauce, the legendary Big Bob Gibson has a white BBQ sauce that many have tried to duplicate. This is the best one I have found:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/big-bobs-gibsons-white-sauce-recipe/index.html

I've used it with smoked chicken pizza. Really good.

scott123

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2010, 07:42:23 AM »
Norma, you're welcome.  :)

When you say this is the first time you've tried a chicken pizza, do you mean the first time you've made a chicken pizza or the first time you've eaten one? I tried my first chicken pizza only a few months ago at California Pizza Kitchen.  Speaking of CPH, if, in your travels, you happen to find yourself near a CPH, I think it's worth a visit.  I can't endorse it, persay (I wouldn't about able to show my face around here :) ), but, if you want to see another take on chicken pizza, CPH, to me, with their bbq chicken and onions, is the definitive pie.  Wolfgang Puck was one of the first, nationally, to push the topping envelope, but I think CPH really put chicken pizza on the map.

I did a CPH location search and came up with 3 for PA- King of Prussia, Plymouth Meeting and Philadelphia.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:46:29 AM by scott123 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for sharing the link for the bottles and for telling me where to buy them.  :)  Big Bob's Gibson's White Sauce sounds interesting.  It seems like a coleslaw mixture base with the addition of horseradish. In using the mayonnaise it could almost taste like Ranch Dressing.  The cayenne pepper could add the needed kick for a chicken sauce base.  There is a stand at our market that sell Long's horseradish. http://longshorseradish.wordpress.com. Pictures of grinding Long's Horseradish at Central Market at bottom of page. http://www.davidschrott.com/longs/web/ The aroma is amazing. This Big Bobís Gibsonís White Sauce could also be something to try in addition to Franksís sauce with or without cayenne.

Thanks for the ideas,

Norma

scott123,

I never have eaten any kind of pizza made with chicken, so that also means I never tried to make pizza with chicken. Since I have never used chicken as an ingredient, there could be many possibilities.  I used to make chicken quesadillas at my funnel cake stand and with them I had experimented in finding the right flavors.  I will have to look up about Wolfgang Puck and see what he does. 
The 3 CPA places you mentioned are about an hour away from me.  If I get around that area sometime, I will try their pizza.

Thanks again for the references and ideas,

Norma
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:17:41 PM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2010, 10:20:57 AM »
Norma,

I have the original California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook and have tried the BBQ chicken pizza (the recipe starts on page 14). I believe at one time, and possibly even now, it was the top selling pizza at CPKI. I concluded that the BBQ sauce is key to the success of that pizza. In my case, the sauce was too sweet for my palate. But, for future reference should you decide to expand your pizza repertoire to include a BBQ chicken pizza and are looking for ideas, you can see a CPKI copycat recipe at http://www.copykat.com/2009/02/03/california-pizza-kitchen-original-bbq-pizza/. That recipe appears to be nearly identical to the one in the CPKI cookbook. The only difference that I could spot without doing a word for word comparison is that the CPKI cookbook calls for 10 ounces of chicken (boneless/skinless chicken breasts) cut into 3/4"-inch cubes.

Before I made my first buffalo chicken pizza, I researched the archives at the PMQ Think Tank to see what pizza operators were doing for that type of pizza. There were many variations. I simply selected the items that appealed to me personally. Lately, the search feature at the PMQTT has been hit and miss (it sometimes will only search one keyword and not multiple ones) but if you can get the search feature on a good day you might be able to check out other possibilities. As scott123 noted, not everyone will like something like blue cheese, which is something that some operators have noted and tried to get around in their own versions, like serving a blue cheese dip on the side. Some offer a few different dips in an attempt to replicate part of the buffalo wings eating experience.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2010, 10:37:56 AM »
Peter,

Thank you for the copykat recipe for the CPK BBQ Pizza.  I would guess it would all depend on what kind of BBQ sauce you might use for this recipe.  There are so many kinds ranging from mild to hot.  We have a Insane Hot Sauce man at market and he also sells many kinds of BBQ sauces. He is in my area and I have to laugh sometimes, because I am the nearest drink stand and people come to my stand to buy drinks after trying his samples.  Sometimes they are so hoarse from trying his sauces they canít even talk. I might  experiment with one of the milder ones, also. 
I will try to do some searches on PMQTT and see what kind of results I get.

Thanks for the ideas,

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »
I would guess it would all depend on what kind of BBQ sauce you might use for this recipe.  There are so many kinds ranging from mild to hot. 

Norma,

I haven't tried making BBQ pizza, but I have made my fair share of BBQ other things - most anything that walks or crawls at one time or another... in any case, I would suggest steering away from any BBQ sauce with a starch listed as one of the ingredients - as an added benefit, this will simplify your decision by greatly reducing the number you have to choose from.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 06:35:13 AM »
Norma,

I haven't tried making BBQ pizza, but I have made my fair share of BBQ other things - most anything that walks or crawls at one time or another... in any case, I would suggest steering away from any BBQ sauce with a starch listed as one of the ingredients - as an added benefit, this will simplify your decision by greatly reducing the number you have to choose from.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for telling me to stay away from BBQ sauces that have starch in them.  Could you tell me how that effects the final product since you have been doing this a lot?

Thanks for giving me that tip,

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 10:31:19 AM »
Norma,

In my opinion, starch-based BBQ sauces just don't taste as good or cook up/caramelize as beautifully as a sauce thickened by tomato paste. To me, they just don't have a natural look after you cook them. They look dull and lifeless not shiny, dark red caramelized tomato harmony. Same with the taste - dull and salty - not the rich, sweet, caramelized fruit that puts your meat over the top. I expect this would be the same on a pizza as on a brisket The food companies don't use starch because it makes a better product. Rather they make a lot of money by binding up water (which costs them virtually nothing) with a starch and selling it to us for $$$ - its much more economical for them than cooking the water out and selling us concentrated tomatoes (which actually have flavor). Who knows what they have to add to give flavor to the thick water...

Starches may also break down where tomato paste will not. My initial thought for you was if holding a pizza for any length of time with a starch-based sauce, it might break down and release its water. I suppose if you cook it long enough, the water evaporates and this is no longer a concern however. 

I just can't imagine putting the effort you do on the crust and then topping it with thickened water.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »
Norma,

In my opinion, starch-based BBQ sauces just don't taste as good or cook up/caramelize as beautifully as a sauce thickened by tomato paste. To me, they just don't have a natural look after you cook them. They look dull and lifeless not shiny, dark red caramelized tomato harmony. Same with the taste - dull and salty - not the rich, sweet, caramelized fruit that puts your meat over the top. I expect this would be the same on a pizza as on a brisket The food companies don't use starch because it makes a better product. Rather they make a lot of money by binding up water (which costs them virtually nothing) with a starch and selling it to us for $$$ - its much more economical for them than cooking the water out and selling us concentrated tomatoes (which actually have flavor). Who knows what they have to add to give flavor to the thick water...

Starches may also break down where tomato paste will not. My initial thought for you was if holding a pizza for any length of time with a starch-based sauce, it might break down and release its water. I suppose if you cook it long enough, the water evaporates and this is no longer a concern however. 

I just can't imagine putting the effort you do on the crust and then topping it with thickened water.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for your advise.  :)  I think when I try to make a BBQ chicken recipe, I will just try to add some ingredients to tomato sauce and see what happens.  These are some of the ingredients I might think about. Canned tomato sauce, chopped celery, chopped red onions,chopped sweet red or green peppers, hot red peppers,chopped, cloves garlic, crushed, black pepper ground, brown sugar, dry mustard, paprika, salt, hot pepper sauce (Tabasco), cayenne pepper, and vinegar (apple or red wine)

I make my own barbecue sauce for hamburg and it's a really easy recipe.  I never like the canned versions, but have never tried to make my own BBQ sauce for grilled meat.  Some times when grilling chicken I just use a product called Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce in a bottle.  You just marinate the chicken in it and then baste.  There aren't many preservatives in this product.

Thanks again,

Norma
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:39:55 PM by norma427 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »
Sounds good to me.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jcamador

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2010, 10:53:32 PM »

Yes, I really like the White Pizza, also. I will have to try something different for the white part.  I am satisfied with the mozzarella and other toppings, but not the blend I did of ricotta and milk. 

Norma- I know you've been trying white pies lately and that you didn't really like the ricotta and milk combo. Today I tried the broccoli rabe recipe from Peter's post with Sunset Magazine   

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10202.0.html

I will say that broccoli rabe pizza might be an acquired taste, but I really enjoyed the sauce. I tried it on a few other pies as well and the creaminess and tang were really delicious. Plus it  was super fast to make! Thought you might like to give it a try!!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:55:27 PM by jcamador »
jason

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2010, 11:14:48 PM »
Norma- I know you've been trying white pies lately and that you didn't really like the ricotta and milk combo. Today I tried the broccoli rabe recipe from Peter's post with Sunset Magazine   

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10202.0.html

I will say that broccoli rabe pizza might be an acquired taste, but I really enjoyed the sauce. I tried it on a few other pies as well and the creaminess and tang were really delicious. Plus it  was super fast to make! Thought you might like to give it a try!!

jcamador,

Your pies look absolutely delicious.  :) The idea of the broccoli rabe pizza sounds good to me. I would really like the creaminess and tang.  I copied the recipe and have a few dough balls I could try your idea with.  Did you use fresh mozzarella?  I just bought some raw milk today and am going to try and make mozzarella this weekend. 

Thanks for the idea and showing me pictures of your pies.  :)

Norma

Offline jcamador

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2010, 11:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the support Norma! I grabbed "fresh" mozz from the store because I was too lazy to go buy my thermophilic culture for the homemade good stuff :)

By the way, I've been really enjoying your posts with the awesome looking pies...been getting some inspiration!  Thanks! Keep it up!!
jason

pizzapan