Author Topic: Proper Slice Foldability Pictures  (Read 2576 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Proper Slice Foldability Pictures
« on: March 06, 2005, 12:39:53 PM »
Before leaving for the week, I wanted to share with the membership what proper foldability of a slice looks like (to me). Even though the pie is well charred. How can a crispy bottom fold like that and not break apart is beyond me:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 03:22:56 PM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

Re: Proper Foldability Pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 12:41:16 PM »
Pictured is a series of me holding the slice from four angles; left, center, right and long range to show no droop what so ever:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 02:58:47 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
Re: Proper Foldabilty Pictures
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 01:52:51 PM »
Outstanding...a true work of art !!

Offline pftaylor

Re: Proper Slice Foldability Pictures
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 05:05:13 PM »
Pie featured Grande Whole Milk Mozzarella with fresh basil.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 06:37:48 PM »
Pft,
Looks fantastic. You have really mastered your pizzamaking in every respect.  This is especially true when considering the consistency with which you produce these great looking pizzas.  Which recipe did you use for the pizza in the above photos?  Was it the Lehman NY style recipe w/Biga and malt?  Or did you use Caputo flour?
Friz

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 07:03:12 PM »
I am still somewhat intimidated with Caputo 00 Blue label flour. My family has not really been supportive of my previous efforts with it so I will have to pick my time wisely to "win" them over. I figure I have one more shot to win them over.

I consider the recipe used to be the Grandson of Lehmann, son of Pete-zza, with my modifications. So you could call it the pftaylor family recipe. I have recently reduced the quantities of ingredients to produce two pies, instead of 3, which is better suited for family consumption without waste.

15 oz KASL
10 oz Water
1 T Vanilla Malt or Sugar
2 T Caputo Biga
1 t Sicilian Sea Salt
1 t Olive Oil

Produces enough for two dough balls with plenty of bubbles but no blister holes on the finished pizza. The result of this recipe is so robust I would be hesitant to further change any of the ingredient ratios. If I never varied the recipe one iota, I could be forever happy. However, being the tinkerer I am, I will no doubt change to the Patsy's biga whenever I can experiment with it. Other than that possible change, I am pleased to now move on to the Caputo challenge.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 07:47:26 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 07:52:42 PM »
pft,

Great looking pizza, as usual.

Can you tell us some more about your biga when you used it, like was it really bubbly, subdued, etc.? Also, I assume that you used a 24-hour refrigeration. Is that so?

Peter

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 08:21:30 PM »
Pete-zza,
The approach which has worked the best for me is based on getting the biga whipped up into a frenzy. I accomplish this by thawing out the refrigerated biga for a few hours by placing it on the black grill cover near the pool. Stir occasionally. The temperature in Tampa this time of year is about 70 degrees but the surface temperature of the grill cover is closer to 90.

90 works well. The biga love it. The biga mixture is very active and bubbly. I then begin the following mixing procedure;
Add water & salt, hand stir well with spoon. Add flour, malt, & biga. Stand mix on 2 for 5 minutes. Add OO, mix on 3 for 5 minutes. Then mix on 2 for 5 minutes. Remove from mixing bowl and hand knead to form ball(s). Place in fridge for about 24 hours. I then refresh the biga and put it the fridge as well.

Remove ball(s) from fridge and place them on - you guessed it - the black grill cover for an hour or two (depending on the plating expectation by family). Then form skins, dress with your favorite toppings, grill at insane temperatures for 3 minutes. Remove from grill, cut, aggressively take a bite from the one slice you deem to be superior to all the others. Promptly burn the skin off the roof of your mouth. Not to worry though because a huge grin has encompassed your face. You then rationalize, to yourself, that the pie has cooled down enough so it won't happen again. What did Einstein say about the definition of insanity - something about repeating the same action and expecting a different result. Well it just applied. You burned the roof of your mouth again.

Ouch. It hurts so good!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 08:55:39 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 09:17:27 PM »
pft,

Thanks a lot for the further elaboration on the biga. Now I see where you are going. The detailed explanation of procedure is also a help. I think I may use my homemade proofing box to see if I can get the Caputo 00 natural starter to act up a bit more.

Peter

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 09:38:51 PM »
I didn't realize your hydration level was as high as 67%.  In conjunction with 800 degrees of heat, that hydration % is guaranteed to produce mucho bubbles.  I used a 65% hydration level for my recent DiFara style pizza, which was exceptional.  I've been using Pete-zza's reccommended 63% hydration for my Lehman NY style pizzas.  I might do a taste test next time with 63% vs. 67% hydration for a Lehman style.
Friz
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 09:52:10 PM by friz78 »

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 06:57:32 AM »
I have been inching up on the hydration scale ever since I heard whispers about Patsy's using a much higher hydration level than the other coal oven joints in NYC. If they do not use some sort of starter, then hydration could be a primary contributing factor as to why their crust is so much lighter than any other high gluten based coal fired pizza.

Just one more point about the pftaylor family recipe. Sugar (to fed the yeast) can be substituted for the vanilla malt. This is important if the fermentation period is going to be any more than 24 hours. In fact, 24 hours may be stretching it. So a small pinch of sugar (to satisfy the wild yeast wouldn't hurt the final flavor one bit but would help prevent blister holes. Perhaps 1/2 T of each is the ultimate answer.

More to come on this point.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline PizMaster

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 07:19:20 AM »
Taylor your charring looks awsome to say the least
I'm from Canada,Ottawa
Never seen pizza like that here looks fantastic great job
I'll be making some pies this weekend will put some pics up

Offline Scagnetti

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 11:40:49 AM »
Did you dress this pie with fresh or dried herbs?  I'm assuming it's oregano.  True?  Great looking pie by the way.

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 02:19:31 PM »
PizMaster,
Thanks for all the kind words.

I'm very proud of my recent pizza making. However, it was just 3 months ago that I was a near total failure. The membership here has fundamentally changed my life for the better by walking me through the proper procedure(s) for killer pie making at home. If I can do it, anyone can.

Scagnetti,
I used a combination of fresh and dried herbs. The fresh herb used was basil from a plant my mother bought me for Christmas. The dried herbs were an Italian spice mixture from Mazzaro's Market in Saint Petersburg, FL. Mazarro's is also where the various cans of DOP certified San Marzano tomatoes come from which I use as the sole basis for my sauce.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

pizzapan