Author Topic: Adding remaining flour is a hassle  (Read 955 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

brayshaw

  • Guest
Adding remaining flour is a hassle
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:02:13 AM »
Hi people,

Just a quick question, I use between 59-63% hydrated doughs and I use the varasano mixing method (mix 75% of the flour first and then gradually add the remaining 25%) I mix in a KA mixer btw.

The problem I have is that when I add the remaining 25% flour is that it is a real hassle in getting it mixed in evenly, some parts of the dough look wet and others look very dry, so I have to keep turning the machine off and getting my hands in there to make sure it is mixing evenly... is there anything thing I am dong wrong or any advice on adding the remaining flour?

Thanks in advance!

Paul


Offline loowaters

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 610
  • Age: 45
  • Location: Somewhere...in Iowa.
  • Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Adding remaining flour is a hassle
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »
Are you adding it all at once?  If so, the KA with C hook isn't the best and you will have trouble.  With the C hook, I've found that when you get drier than 70% it's does a lot of spinning without working or mixing in loose flour.  that's why Verasano uses that "batter stage" knead.  Add it in slowly and that should help but I usually finish it off by hand kneading in the last 10% of the flour for those kinds (low oil) of dough batches.  There's others that have far more expertise on this type of dough than me (as I'm usually into higher oil content Chicago style pizzas) that may have other suggestions.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline LaPizzaBrutta

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 20
Re: Adding remaining flour is a hassle
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »
Just a thought...

You may want to try letting it sit for 10-15 mins before mixing in the rest of the flour (I'm not totally familiar with the Varasano method - so I don't know if this is some cardinal sin LOL). This way the mixed flour has a chance to absorb all the water and relax a bit and become more pliable for mixing in the remaining 25%.


- Thomas

brayshaw

  • Guest
Re: Adding remaining flour is a hassle
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:16:05 AM »
Are you adding it all at once?  If so, the KA with C hook isn't the best and you will have trouble.  With the C hook, I've found that when you get drier than 70% it's does a lot of spinning without working or mixing in loose flour.  that's why Verasano uses that "batter stage" knead.  Add it in slowly and that should help but I usually finish it off by hand kneading in the last 10% of the flour for those kinds (low oil) of dough batches.  There's others that have far more expertise on this type of dough than me (as I'm usually into higher oil content Chicago style pizzas) that may have other suggestions.

Loo

Thanks for the replies,
I only add the remaining flour 'a heaped tablespoon' at a time but I will try adding less, the only thing I am worried about by doing that, is there a chance it will take a lot longer to mix the remaining flour in therefore over kneading it? thanks for the advice and I will try adding lesser amounts and see if that helps.

Just a thought...

You may want to try letting it sit for 10-15 mins before mixing in the rest of the flour (I'm not totally familiar with the Varasano method - so I don't know if this is some cardinal sin LOL). This way the mixed flour has a chance to absorb all the water and relax a bit and become more pliable for mixing in the remaining 25%.


- Thomas

Thanks for the tip, I am making some dough tomorrow so I will try resting it before adding the remaining 25% to see if that helps.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Any other advice is more than welcome.

Paul


 

pizzapan