Author Topic: The Rotisserie Pizza Grill  (Read 16287 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: The Rotisserie Pizza Grill
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »
an oven with an IR burner facing down the width of the radius of the rotating stone will be a huge leap.
it would be very easy to make a small efficient oven.
I know this sounds too good to be true.
One thing or 2 to remember though....can you adjust the heat? Can you turn it off an on as needed? My experience is that these things are all or nuth'in an you can't just hit an igniter and it will come back on.    So, strategically (practice) place it an this might be a saving grace...?  Thoughts?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »
My home oven has an infrared broiler.  I really thought I could get Neapolitan bake times with my steel plate, but the top heat failed miserably.  I've never been able to find any ratings on the burner so it is possible a grill burner would put out more heat but I'd have a hard time believing it would be enough to bring the bake time down from the 3 minutes or so my broiler can do to sub 90 seconds.
-Jeff

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »
Shuboyje Ė Iím not sure whether your home oven is gas or electric.  In either case, Iím pretty sure your oven design and BTU output is substantially different from the typical outdoor IR gas burner.  (Pretty sure is an invitation to correct me if Iím mistaken.)

CB Ė I think you are wise to recommend checking the heat adjustability and on/off of your particular IR burner Ė especially before ďhard toolingĒ it into a particular arrangement.  CB is the fourth person I know that has cited this issue (including me).

In my grill, if Iíve managed to achieve 3ish settings (High, Medium, Low), albeit with limitations.  The dial is certainly not linear.  There is almost no difference in heat output between the dial full on and half on Ė everything in that range is High.  Then in the next smidgen of rotation the heat goes to Medium, Low, and off.  The only way to adjust the flame is to watch the IR burner, turn slowly, and wait for the gas/flame to stabilize.  If the burner hardware is hot, meaning itís been running for several minutes, and the flame goes out (Iíve missed the Low mark), then it is a bugger to get reignited.

From what Iíve read on the forum, not many folks have experimented with gas IR burners for cooking pizza.  That means there may be room for innovation, but experimentation must be done safely.  To those continuing forward, please share your results.

Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2012, 03:55:23 PM »
From what I've seen , most "rotisserie" IR's are rated at only 18,000btu. My grill also has a "side" steak searing much larger IR. Same ceramic honey comb looking burner but much larger. I don't know what the btu rating is for this thing...the advertising/sales pitch for it was that it can reach 1,100 degrees "just like your favorite steak restaurant uses".
You have to hold the valve/ dial in for aprox. 30 seconds after lighting it in order for it to stay lit. Biotch do get mighty hot though...

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2012, 04:49:06 PM »
Ok, just looked it up and going by the orifice size my broiler is 12000 btu. 
-Jeff

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »
Shu - 12K is not bad.  That's what I've got (according to one spec I saw).  I guess Bob's is bigger than mine is.

Out of curiosity, do you have the ceramic honeycomb design, or that heat fabric I've seen a few times, or a regular flame-type burner?

Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »
btw, that honeycomb "ceramic" sections...on my grill anyway, they are made out of a clay like substance...do NOT try to clean them, i.e.dissasemble submerge in cleaning liquid to clear out the combs. Not unless ya wanna have to order a new set up....mine DISOLVED like fresh clay in water, no joke  ;)

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
I believe it's ceramic, never really checked, but it looks identical to the ones pictured in this thread.
-Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
Jeff,
I am only talking about the one that I have...the one I know about. fwiw...mine looks exactly like the one's in this thread also.
I believe the original design/build of theses "ceramic" heaters were indeed made of ceramic. One can purchase a replacement rotisserie "ceramic" element, on line, all day long, for around 45 bucks(the 3 section size we are discussing). I have seen this same unit selling for a HUNDRED 45 bucks.I don't know if that appreciably more expensive dealio is indeed made of ceramic or not?
I am just providing info on what my personal experience has been when I tried to clean one. And that's how things usually go in my world....try an improve sum'in an it bites ya in the hiney!  8)
Don't quote me on this but I think real ceramic ain't cheap ($45 in this ferinstance ;) )

Bob

pizzapan