Author Topic: Novembers Recipe Question  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Cayman

Novembers Recipe Question
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:13:45 AM »
Through my readings and desire to learn more, I came across the post where November posted his recipe that many people provided positive feedback for. Since I have all the ingredients, I thought I would give it a shot. I will be using the 6in1 tomatoes that I have and was wondering if I should strain them, chop them in a food processor or leave them alone to be used with a NY Style pizza. I am not really into the "chunky" type sauces. Any help you all can give me is appreciated!!!

Thanks for everything!!

Offline Bob1

Re: Novembers Recipe Question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:48:59 AM »
Cayman,
6 in 1 will end up with a thicker texture for application but not really for taste texture as diced would do.  I liked playing with November's recipe the only draw back for my personal preference was the tarragon.  That particular spice did not work for me, so I left it out the 2nd time.  I also would like to add a possible alteration that I have used and maybe November could comment.  I make sure that the herbs are wet as specified and then right before you microwave them you pour a tbs of olive oil over them.  This way the herb oils end up going into the oil and not escaping if you heat it a little to much. 

Bob

Offline Cayman

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:55:05 AM »
Thanks Bob. My original thoughts were to put them in a food processor to get rid of the chunks and then possibly add a small amout of water to thin the paste down. Maybe this would be a total sin, but it was my thoughts. LOL

Offline Cayman

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:37:15 PM »
You will have to excuse me being a newbie... I just opened up the can of 6 in 1 and realized they there were not chunks or full tomatoes in it like I was expecting and thus the reason I made this post. (First time trying 6in1)  :-[ But this stuff smells sooooo good.

Anyway... sorry for the confusion.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 02:01:36 PM »
Yes they are not that thick but if you were to run them through the finest puree mesh they become a liquid that can be distributed evenly much easier with the back of a spoon.  I personally like to put cheese blobs on the dough and use the normal can consistency in between.   Just a matter of preference.

Bob

Offline Cayman

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 02:29:26 PM »
Funny that I mentioned adding water to thin it up some... since I did not strain it, I am actually trying to figure out how to thicken it some. I assume add paste but the only paste I have on hand is hunts.  :'( It is now in the fridge so I will see if it thickens a little on its own. I may be heading to Restaurant Depot later, so if I am I can pick up some paste there.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »
I never had to much problem.  Using it between the cheese I found that the water steamed out of them pretty well on an 8 minute cook.

Bob

Edit
Let me rethink that.  If you are cooking it on an egg you may not get the same evaporation as an electric oven.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:35:43 PM by Bob1 »

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »
To thicken the crushed 6 in 1's, I just dump whatever fits in a screen mesh strainer as already mentioned for about 3 mins and let some water drain off.  Dump the thickened contents of the strainer back in, stir, rinse and repeat as necs, then add the November MAE spices.
I have also boat motored the 6 in 1's, both before and after spice addition, for a less chunky sauce with good results.

Offline Cayman

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 03:33:28 PM »
I have also boat motored the 6 in 1's, both before and after spice addition, for a less chunky sauce with good results.

Huh?  ???  I motor boated my wife before but don't think that would help here.  :-D

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 03:36:10 PM »
LOL, yea but in this case I was thinking immersion/stick blender! 

pizzapan