Author Topic: Any 28 ounce version of Bonta or Full Red?  (Read 1794 times)

Offline AJ72

Any 28 ounce version of Bonta or Full Red?
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:36:38 PM »
Hi guys,
I recently started making my own pizza sauce.  I only like to make NY Style pizzas.  I've been using Don Pepino's pizza sauce and I love it, but wanted to try the Escalon and Stanislaus stuff.  The problem is I only make 4-6 pizza's at a time and don't want to mix #10 cans and have a bunch of left over sauce since I don't like freezing stuff.  I'm finding out that some of the favorite blends out there are 7/11 + Full Red and 6 in 1 + Bonta.  I see that some ground tomatoes such as 6 in 1 and Tomato Magic are available in 28 ounce cans but I can only find Bonta Pizza Sauce w/ Basil and Full Red Pizza Sauce in #10 cans.  Are there any "Pizza Sauces" from the big boys that come in 28 oz cans that I can mix with the 6 in 1 ground tomatoes to make an authentic NY style pizza sauce?  Your replies would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Puzzolento

Re: Any 28 ounce version of Bonta or Full Red?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:37:07 AM »
You might try running Cento genuine San Marzanos through a food processor. The flavor is mild, but very good. I generally use Stanislaus Saporito, but San Marzanos are a nice change of pace.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
You might try running Cento genuine San Marzanos through a food processor.

I've found that a food processor will incorporate a lot of air into things which is not desirable in a pizza sauce (to me anyway). You'll get a pink frothy sauce. An immersion blender (stick blender) or your hand works better.

Give the Cento Italian a try. I like them better than the Cento SM's and a 35oz can costs less than a 28oz can of the SM's.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »
A few years back I went on the same quest.   No luck on small cans of bonta or full red, but you can get alta cucina whole peeled tomatoes (which are great!) or tomato magic, along with some prepared pasta sauces mail ordered for fairly short money.   Check out this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2396.0.html

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »
The food processor I use for these tomatoes is tiny and weak, so it doesn't mess the sauce up. I didn't realize a bigger one would cause a problem.

They don't have the Italian tomatoes at my local grocery. Maybe the next time I go to a real store instead of the miniature one in my neighborhood, I'll be able to find them.

Although it's pretty hard to find anything wrong with giant cans of Saporito for five bucks.

Offline AJ72

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
Thanks Scott,
But I was really looking to find a "pizza sauce" such as Full Red or Bonta in 28oz. can.  Maybe I'll try mixing 6 in 1 with Don Pepino pizza sauce since I love Don Pepino so much as is and it is a high quality sauce.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »
AJ72:

You might be happier with that mixture of Don Pepino and 6 in 1's anyway.  The Bonta sauce is really more of tomato paste consistency with a little bit of basil thrown in.  I use it as part of a base for some sauces but never by itself.  So a typical can of that "sauce" will go a long way for me.

Let us know how that combination comes out for you.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline AJ72

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:15:59 AM »
AJ72:

You might be happier with that mixture of Don Pepino and 6 in 1's anyway.  The Bonta sauce is really more of tomato paste consistency with a little bit of basil thrown in.  I use it as part of a base for some sauces but never by itself.  So a typical can of that "sauce" will go a long way for me.

Let us know how that combination comes out for you.

-ME

Thanks ME,
I think you are right.  I am also a cigar connoisseur and many of the complex cigars are made from tobaccos from different regions.  For example, a binder from Dominican Republic and a wrapper from Nicaragua, and they never use tobaccos from the same farm to make a cigar.  As an analogy, I think mixing tomatoes from New Jersey with tomatoes from California might give the sauce a nice complexity to it.  I'll try it next Sunday and let you know how it goes.

Tony

pizzapan