Author Topic: Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast  (Read 4391 times)

Offline jgame

Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:15:23 PM »
Hi,
Came across Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast at my local market. Each packet is 1/4 oz. Anyone have experience with this?
I make the cracker style found on this site. Any thoughts on what would happen if used in my recipe?

Thanks,

jgame

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:40:40 PM »
jgame,

The only place on the forum that I have seen on this subject is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9387.msg81336.html#msg81336. The new yeast has not shown up at any supermarket near me yet. The product is briefly described at http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/new_pizza_yeast.html.

Peer

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
I looked on their website, and it sound like it is RapidRise (IDY) on steroids. I suppose it has its place if you need such a thing. I would think there would have to be a loss of flavor and aroma if nothing else.

No rise time
To make homemade pizza dough, simply add water, salt and flour to Fleischmannís Pizza Crust Yeast, mix and knead. There is no rise after kneading like other yeasts. You just need to roll or press out the dough to make the pizza crust.

Just relax
Pizza Crust Yeast is specially-formulated with dough relaxers that keep the dough from pulling or snapping back when shaping it. So itís easy to make your crust the shape and size you like. Individual sized crusts, thick crusts, thin crusts or hand tossed crusts, itís up to you!

http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/new_pizza_yeast.html
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »
My dough used to fight me, but it turned out the only problem was a need for more water. I have grave doubts about trying to fix it with weird yeast.

Offline scottm

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 08:48:36 AM »
I've used this yeast for the last 4 pizzas i've made. It's fast acting and manages to pull off a decent looking crust after it sits for a couple of hours though taste is certainly lacking. I've tried 24 hours in the fridge after prepping the dough and it rises appreciably more than regular yeast but does gain some flavour.

If you're in a hurry (starving family or surprise guests) it works for the look and appearance. Go nuts on the toppings to hide the fact your dough doesn't have too much flavour.

Scott

Offline Sortachef

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »
Because I have a woodfired blog with a variety of crusts and recipes on board, I took this yeast out for a test drive last week and was surprised at how well it made a dough... well, quickly. That's the idea, isn't it?

By tweaking the package recipe a bit, I turned out a pretty nice pepperoni pizza that my son gobbled right up. That one was made in the conventional oven on quarry tiles.

I made another batch of dough yesterday with this yeast, used caputo for half the flour and only a bit of yeast, let it rise for about 2 hours, and came up with a pizza that had a full-flavored crust, albeit a little fresh. That one I did in the woodfired oven and it came out kind of like a Pagliacci Pizza crust.

I don't think you should dismiss this yeast out of hand. It is not on steroids (I know, because I checked all the ingredients.) It does, however, make a pretty fair crust in a very short time!

You can see my test drive and pepperoni pizza @ woodfiredkitchen.com.

Happy Baking!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:12:34 PM by Sortachef »

pizzapan