Author Topic: Golden Tiger Flour?  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Puzzolento

Golden Tiger Flour?
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:40:30 AM »
I'm going to be making pizza regularly for my church. Yesterday I bought a 50-lb. bag of Golden Tiger high-gluten flour. I heard about it from a Sysco guy, who said the local pizzerias liked it.

Has anyone tried this stuff? I'm not worried, because I have never had problems with any bread flour or all-purpose flour, but I'm wondering what all the fuss is about.

Offline scott123

Re: Golden Tiger Flour?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
Is it bromated? If it is, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised- at least, once you adjust the hydration levels. Even if it isn't bromated, I still think you'll see a noticeable improvement over the Walmart stuff.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
Can't tell. The bag is at my church, and the website for the flour people has no info. It's Bay State Milling.

I'll check into bromated flour. Thanks for the reply.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »
Bay state milling makes some excellent flours.   They mill much of the King Arthur line, and also Bouncer and Big Yield,  which I have had great luck with.  Not sure about your particular flour, but the miller definitely knows what they are going.   

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:37:46 AM »
Saw the bag at Gordon Food Service, and I had to have it.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:57:09 AM »
Puzzolento,

I didn't see the Golden Tiger in the usual BSM lineup at http://www.bsm.com/Products/BakingEssentials/FlourProducts.aspx, but if you call the number I posted in Reply 9 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10002.msg89757.html#msg89757 and ask for Quality Assurance, you should be able to reach a person cognizant with the Golden Tiger flour and get most of your questions answered (e.g., protein content, bromated vs. unbromated, types of grain, etc.). From the Honeyville website at http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/xl-higlutenflour50lb.aspx, it looks like the Golden Tiger is in the same class as other high-gluten flours.

Peter

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »
Hey, thanks. I think I'll slop a couple of pies together before I bother them. I've been getting quotes on cheese and so on all day, and now I have to fire up the plasma cutter to make a makeshift peel, so the flour question is not a big priority.

Turns out I can get Grande cheese delivered at about the same price as the blend I'm using, so I'm going to ask for a couple of samples. I plan to use 50/50, but I also want to try the East Coast Blend. I suspect that the blend will be similar to my Costco cheese, which is nominally part-skim, but hard to burn.

pizzapan