Author Topic: Pickle juice in lieu of water... why not.  (Read 233 times)

Online cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
Pickle juice in lieu of water... why not.
« on: April 08, 2014, 11:00:36 PM »
I was making a bunch of pizza dough and was in a wacky mood. Had an empty pickle jar and used the juice instead of water for a small dough ball. We're talking about yellow hamburger dill pickles... not like Clausen style.

110g AP flour
55% pickle juice
1/4 tsp IDY

It was really wet and slimy, even after I kept adding flour to try to create something to grab onto. Tossed in tupperware - 4 hr room temp - 48 hr cold. Looked like Ghostbuster slime.

3 hours room temperature, not as green anymore, now yellowish. It never really got any kind of rise going, I think the vinegar must have killed the yeast. Was planning on tossing it on my preheated steel, but it was way too sticky to handle. Went with a pan instead. Figured a cheeseburger theme was appropriate: A1 sauce, cheddar, Morning Star faux ground beef (sautéed in garlic, blk pepper, and Worcestershire), grape tomatoes, white onion. 12 minutes @ 500 degrees.

I figured there was a coin flip chance I was gonna toss it after 2 bites, so the fact that I finished it was a bonus. It definitely tasted odd, but not in a bad way. The pickle taste was only really apparent in the charred cheese bits along the edge. I shouldn't have used both A1 and Worcestershire, it was distracting. Whole thing was more like a casserole than a pizza. It wasn't bad, but I highly doubt this will be the next trend in pizza making. I basically doubled the sodium content for no apparent reason.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:03:23 PM by cc2323 »