Author Topic: Varasano's pizza recipe  (Read 6120 times)

Offline Chet

Varasano's pizza recipe
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »

at this link http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/  if you scroll down and check out his pizza recipes for example where he list 3 pies,  If I were to make this dough recipe for a home oven would it be too wet. and where it says yeast is optional, I don't get it, what am I missing

Chet

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
Re: Varasano's pizza recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »
The yeast being optional is due to the starter being able to possibly provide all the leavening that you need for your dough.  I know at one time Varasano used a little yeast in conjunction with his Patsy's starter when making dough to give it a little more oomph, I don't know if that is still the case.

Others, like Marco, I believe stay away from using any leavening other than the cultures themselves.

Do you use a sourdough starter?  If so, which one and how active is it for you?

As far as the dough recipe being too wet, that wouldn't really be the term I'd use to describe it necessarily.  But you will experience very little browning with that recipe unless you've done a hackjob to your home oven to run it while on the clean cycle. 

You could always add a little sugar to the recipe if you're wanting to increase your browning.  Either way though make sure to give your stone a good long preheat in the oven.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »

at this link http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/  if you scroll down and check out his pizza recipes for example where he list 3 pies,  If I were to make this dough recipe for a home oven would it be too wet. and where it says yeast is optional, I don't get it, what am I missing

Chet

Chet, definitely not too wet and definitely doable in a home oven.  You need a HOT pizza stone.  You can preheat your oven for 45m-1H or just a thermogun to check the temps of your stone.  500F should do the trick.  Check the bottom crust after about 6-7min.  Then to brown the top just move the pizza to the upper rack and broil for a min or so.  You'll have to watch it closely when broiling as it will brown very quickly. 

I have a Viking oven and it does a good job without me having to move my pie up to the top rack.  I bake at 500F on one level lower than middle and it works out well.  This one was baked for about 8min?  Hydration rate was higher than Jeff's recipe around 70%.  Cold fermented for 3 days.  Also had more yeast than he calls for but this was awhile ago when I was experimenting.  Other than the increase yeast and hydration ratio, all else is the same as his recipe.  Same recipe, same techniques described on his website, lower temp.   It's possible...

Sorry for cell phone pic, but it's what I could do at the time.  Also I have misplace the pic of the crumb.  This one was one of my best pies ever.  Lots of big air bubbles in the crust.  Taste was excellent. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:55:35 AM »
Here's another Jeff V pie baked at around 600F for around 6mins? on my Primo Ceramic oven outdoors.  This one was a same day pie.  Dough was made about 4-5 hours prior to baking.  Made with very inexpensive Gold Medal Better for Bread flour.  Hydration rate here was around 73% or so.  About 1/2tsp yeast as well.  Crust was very light and aerated.  Taste was OK but I was going for an exaggerated big crust. 

Offline liztree

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 05:22:35 PM »
Hello and thanks for all this info. i do all this Verasano stuff too, with no yeast.
My issue is the cheese gets over cooked before the crust is done...any thoughts
Thanks
liz Tree

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 08:19:04 PM »
Liz,
How are you cooking the pizza?On a stone or pan?I'm having the same problems sometimes.

One of the members here suggested to use foil to put over the top of the pizza so slow down the burn time a little bit.I have not tried it yet but it might work.

The one thing that did help me was to cook the pizza straight onto the hot stone right away.The crust cooked faster than the top.

I also noticed store bought shredded mozz burns faster.One other trick I noticed is to cut your cheese into thicker slices and put on top...takes longer to melt than thinner cut or shredded cheese.

-Bill

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »
If you try the foil cover, mold it to make somewhat of a dome so the cheese doesn't stick to it. It doesn't stay on throughout the bake. Others have suggested spraying the cheese lightly with water. Never tried that. I changed cheese brand and the problem went away for me.
Don

Liz,
How are you cooking the pizza?On a stone or pan?I'm having the same problems sometimes.

One of the members here suggested to use foil to put over the top of the pizza so slow down the burn time a little bit.I have not tried it yet but it might work.

The one thing that did help me was to cook the pizza straight onto the hot stone right away.The crust cooked faster than the top.

I also noticed store bought shredded mozz burns faster.One other trick I noticed is to cut your cheese into thicker slices and put on top...takes longer to melt than thinner cut or shredded cheese.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:35:48 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 08:36:30 PM »
Thanks Don! I think you may have been the one to suggest the foil covering before.

I too have tried different types and brands of cheese and have seen a big difference between them and the way they melt or breakdown in the oven.

I bought some walmart great value brand whole milk mozz cheese that I had to cut or shred myself and noticed it does not burn as easy as some other brands.It says white longer and melts pretty good for the value of it.Taste good too.
 :)

-Bill
-Bill

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »
So I dug up my notes and put this dough together this afternooon.  62% hydration, which for my flour is high but it worked up nicely and turned out quite well I thought. I'm getting a kilo of my friends flour Sunday, I'll have another go at it for Tuesday night.
Don

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 09:55:11 PM »
Don,
Is that a Mexican style of Mozz cheese in your pictures above?

The reason I ask,my wife and I love to eat Mexican food at the local Mexican restaurant in town.Their cheeses seem to melt into almost a liquid at times.
Its amazing stuff...never used it on a pizza though.The picture you posted reminded me of it.

-Bill
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 10:12:13 PM »
Don, that pie looks pretty good.   Was it one of your favorites?  Looks like you opened it well and got a decent oven spring.   How long did you bake that for?

Chau

parallei

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 11:36:25 PM »
Don, What's on that pie, shrimp?  It looks really tasty!

buceriasdon

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
The cheese is a Mexican made Gouda I had in the freezer and shredded frozen, but also I used my Alfredo and garlic sauce which adds to the creaminess. There are a number of Mexican cheeses that are low melting, ask your Mexican place what they use if you like theirs.
Don

Don,
Is that a Mexican style of Mozz cheese in your pictures above?

The reason I ask,my wife and I love to eat Mexican food at the local Mexican restaurant in town.Their cheeses seem to melt into almost a liquid at times.
Its amazing stuff...never used it on a pizza though.The picture you posted reminded me of it.

-Bill

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »
Chau, It was certainly a "break through" pie for me. Very light and airy I believe the expression is here. I used JV's 75% flour and all the water formula, mixed well then allowed to rest for an hour and a half. I then added the remaining flour mixed again for a few minutes and then stretched and folded. I oiled a bowel and into the fridge it went for two hours. Took it out and allowed it to come back to room temp. It was a pleasure to open and stretch. I live and work at a motel here and with my oven in front of my room so I get interrupted from time to time but I believe it baked for about 4 minutes. I'm interested in what a longer ferment time in the fridge will do. More on Tuesday.
Don

Don, that pie looks pretty good.   Was it one of your favorites?  Looks like you opened it well and got a decent oven spring.   How long did you bake that for?

Chau

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »
Yes, they are shrimp I keep in the freezer for either my wok Pad Thai or my Alfredo and shrimp pizza. Very rich and filling but I had half a 12" pizza.
Don

Don, What's on that pie, shrimp?  It looks really tasty!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »
Don,

I didn't recall that you were using the Varasano dough making methods. When did you start to do that?

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 03:06:49 PM »
Peter, you are correct I haven't used his formula in ages. I hand mixed way back then and was not crazy about the results. I read this thread yesterday and went back and found my notes on the method pulled out my little B+D mixer with dough hooks and went for it. I'm sure it's laughable to many here with your nice mixers, I was using 230g. of flour so I had to tilt the bowl to mix. In fact I chuckled a bit while I was mixing the dough myself. All in fun. I'm having another go at it today for Tuesday evening.
Saludos, Don

Don,

I didn't recall that you were using the Varasano dough making methods. When did you start to do that?

Peter

Offline liztree

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 05:25:58 PM »
OK Liz again. I bake directly on the stone which placed a little lower than half way down in the oven maybe I should move it????

I also do not shred but use fatter slices.
I read some where about freezing or partial freezing of cheese.................?????
People, when you say you switched to a brand that works will you please name that brand?

Please help I would like stretchy not browned cheese.

BUT I am going to NYC  next week.....so look Di Fara's and more ... here I come!!!!!
thanks Liz tree

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 10:41:02 PM »
Liz,
How hot is your oven? What temps can you say you are cooking at? Im assuming you preheat the stone for a while too?How long is your bake time when the crust is still not done,but the cheese still seems to break down or burn?

As far as cheese goes,Im using store brands I can find.Where I live,its not a dime a dozen...hard to find anything good in my neck of the woods.

I found that using whole milk mozz that I cut or shred myself gives me the best results.

Using pre-shredded cheese from the bags always burn a little faster,at least in my experimenting.I do not know why,but I do know they have an anti-caking cellulose agent,to prevent sticking in the bags,that might lead to premature burning in hot ovens.

The brands I have used,but not limited to,is Kraft part skim block cheese I shredded myself.I did not care for it at all.

The whole Milk brands are Polly O,Sorrento's,and the Great Value Brand from Walmart.

So far,Sorrentos and the Wal Mart brand is my favorite.There was another brand I bought once from a store but cannot recall the name of it.I remember it being yucky though.

Also,there is another shredded bag of cheese I have used called Sargento's.I have not found a whole milk block in that brand yet,but am looking for it.The sargento brand is part skim but seems to hold up way better than the kraft version.Just letting you know not to confuse Sargentos with Sorrentos.

Reason for freezing the mozz block cheese,is that it helps to shred so much better.When it begins to thaw,and you start shredding it,it cuts with ease and no mess like warmer,room temp cheese does.

You cannot shred it fully frozen,but when it begins to thaw,you can keep doing so until you get just about all of it done,and none wasted.Warmed up cheese sticks to everything and gums up the shredder.
 :)

-Bill

Offline liztree

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 01:10:56 AM »
Liz again. Hi
 I preheat my oven for at least one hour on 550 degrees. I have also tried putting the broiler on to heat the stone hotter,,, then changing to regular bake. it takes 7 minutes or more to bake pizza dough.. but then the cheese is over cooked!
 I never shred cheese only thicker slabs. I thought maybe putting the cheese in the freezer would help it to not cook as fast cause, duh, it is colder so it would take longer to melt.... maybe I will try this.

I continue to thank you for your help.
liz

pizzapan