Author Topic: Next Door Pizza and Pub - Now open  (Read 2020 times)

Offline pcuezze

Next Door Pizza and Pub - Now open
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:52:49 AM »
After years of following the forum here, I've finally opened my own pizzeria in Kansas City, MO.  We are a chicago style pizzeria with my recipe based entirely on my experience on this forum (same goes for my thin crust recipe).  You can visit our website (www.nextdoorpizza.com) or better yet go to Facebook www.facebook.com/nextdoorpizza to learn more about it and see our menu.  I can't thank the moderators and participants on this board enough for all the great ideas and advice.  It's been a wild journey and it's only getting started.  Thanks!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Next Door Pizza and Pub - Now open
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »
For those who are interested, they can read about Patrick's opening of his new place at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8591. There are also some great photos that can be accessed at that thread at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=58290#p58290. I was following Patrick's efforts on the business side, at the PMQ Think Tank, and found it interesting and informative how he was able to combine what he learned on this forum with what he learned on the PMQ Think Tank forum to start his business.

I wish Patrick the very best.

Peter

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:03:15 AM »
Awesome... good luck!
Patrick

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
After years of following the forum here, I've finally opened my own pizzeria in Kansas City, MO.  We are a chicago style pizzeria with my recipe based entirely on my experience on this forum (same goes for my thin crust recipe).  You can visit our website (www.nextdoorpizza.com) or better yet go to Facebook www.facebook.com/nextdoorpizza to learn more about it and see our menu.  I can't thank the moderators and participants on this board enough for all the great ideas and advice.  It's been a wild journey and it's only getting started.  Thanks!

Patrick,

Best of Luck!  The photos are great.  Great to hear your recipes were based entirely on your experience on this forum.  Awesome  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 12:05:10 PM »
Patrick:

Good luck! 

You're on the other side of town from me, but I would certainly like to get over to Lee's Summit and give your pie a try.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 03:36:57 PM »
Looks awsome Patrick!! I couldnt stop reading the Facebok thread .
I also hope you have to expand!!
Pie pics like a combo cracker thin chicago? from this forum?
which recipe ? Looks Mighty Tasty!!
GOOD LUCK! and Dont sample too many beers  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 09:39:40 PM »
Patrick,
Best of luck and fortune to you. Looks like an awesome place and wonderful opportunity you created. I loved seeing all those pics. Wish it were closer to Colorado.

Chris

Offline pcuezze

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:37:29 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words.  I finally got to take some time off.  My brother watched the place and I met my wife and kids in Florida for some r&r.  As luck would have it, I came down with a cold but still had a good time.  Business is still good and I am encouraged by our everyday growth.  They say that pitches slow down for professional baseball players and I feel the same way right now - everything seems to be slowing down to a manageable pace.  We still have lots of room to improve and that will lead to more growth.  But I do not feel like a failure, so that's something  :'(

Ernie - I'd love to have you.  I've already had one guy from the forums.  I sold him a bag of Grande and we chit-chatted for an hour.  I love to meet other pizza nerds. 

JConk - you are correct, we have a Chicago style crust based on the Malinatti w/Semolina 30%).  The major difference is that we use Whirl in place of all of the various oils used in the recipe.  Whirl gives the crust butter flavor as well as color.  Everyone has commented on the buttery flavor and texture of our crust.  I use the cream of tartar in this crust.

The second crust is almost identical to DKM's cracker crust in the recipe bank.  Again, I use whirl.  I use sugar and salt in this dough (as well as the chicago).  For dough handling, we do NOT cut dough balls until we are ready to pan/sheet dough.  It rises in cambros overnight.  We had to buy a new nylon-roller sheeter for the thin dough b/c our older steel sheeter was not adequate for the low-hydration dough.  The brand new somerset we have is rated at something like 300 pizzas per hour.  With this dough, I would guess we are closer to 60 per hour.  It's that hard to work with (a 13 oz ball makes a 15" pizza with ~2 oz of waste (so really an 11 oz ball for a 15" pizza)).  We go through 5+ passes for each piece of dough. 

We have two sauces, the thin is a mix of 6-n-1's and full red fully prepared sauce. I add honey, red pepper and basic italian spices.  Our Chicago sauce all 6-n-1's with heavy oregano, basil, honey, red pepper, and garlic.  We do not cook it.  It sits on the line in a collander pan so it strains the juice off.  People have raved about the sauce.  I take credit when I can, but it's really all in the tomatoes.

Anyway, if anyone is thinking of opening a pizza place, I'm happy to share all of the many, many, many mistakes I've made (as well as the successes, even when accidental).  I'm a very frugal guy so much of this was done on a shoestring.  And please, if anyone is in KC, stop by and say hello.  I'll buy you a pizza and a beer for sure!

Patrick
www.nextdoorpizza.com
patrick@nextdoorpizza.com

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:46:23 AM »
Patrick,

I will get over there some day, I'm just not exactly sure when that will be.  I need to put the pizza peel down and get out to some of the more independent pizza restaurants in the greater KC area.  For instance, I love Tim's Place up in Independence, but he's completely on the other end of the metro from me.  I've found a couple closer independents that I like, each with different styles of pizza.  Judging by your pizza, I was wondering if you had sampled The Dish up in Liberty, MO.  For me, all it takes is finding the time.  I spend a few days a week about 1/2 way between my house and your location, so maybe I'll come by for lunch on a weekday some time.  Although a weekend day would allow me more time.  I'd love to talk pizza-nerd-ese with you.  :-D

I read some of your posts on the PMQ forum and am glad to see a 'local boy made good' in the pizza industry.  I see you decided to not go with the retro-menu look (which I liked, by the way, but I understand you have cater to the most customers).  At any rate, best of luck and hopefully see you soon. 

-ME   8)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:50:55 AM by Mad_Ernie »
Let them eat pizza.

Offline pcuezze

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »
I see you decided to not go with the retro-menu look (which I liked, by the way, but I understand you have cater to the most customers). 

Oh contraire mon' fraire - the latest draft of my menu layout is at www.nextdoorpizza.com/draft.pdf

It should be live in the next couple of days!

Let me know what you think.

Patrick Cuezze

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »
Patrick,

I remember some of your earlier menu iterations over at the PMQTT, and I think the latest one is simpler and easier to follow.

Which of the two pizza styles is the more popular at the moment? And is there a particularly favorite within that style?

Peter

Offline pcuezze

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
We definitely sell more thin than Chicago right now.  It is a function, so far, of people not knowing much about the Chi-Pie and being scared by the wait.  We are really working hard to train our guests about the Chicago style pizza (i.e. that pan does not necessarily mean thick, that sauce on top is delicious b/c of the roasting, etc).  Everyone who tries the Chicago style loves it.  The Butcher is our most popular pie but we sell a lot of Combo Locks and N9nes as well.  The N9ne (for those who do not know) is named after Kansas City rap star Tech N9ne.  His record label, Strange Music, is based here in Lee's Summit and is the number 1 independent rap label in the U.S.  They did a door for our wall and have been really good about everything. 

pC

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
Oh contraire mon' fraire - the latest draft of my menu layout is at www.nextdoorpizza.com/draft.pdf

It should be live in the next couple of days!

Let me know what you think.

Patrick Cuezze

I saw your post on Facebook and commented.  I like this version!  8)

-ME

P.S. I'll try each type of pie when I get there.  My wife loves my deep-dish pie (her favorite, and she's not a huge pizza lover), and I use semolina in my dough, as well - a slightly modified version of a BTB recipe.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »
always good to see one of our own launch something new like this.

I wish you good luck and lots of business, bud!
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew