Author Topic: Freezing Flour  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Cayman

Freezing Flour
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:24:43 PM »
I just broke down my 50# bag of flour into 10 1-Gallon freezer ziplocs. How long should I leave them in the freezer for putting them into my bulk storage containers? I read Peters comment in a post that stated Tom Lehmann recommends I think 45 days if you put the whole bag in the freezer. I was just curious if it was the same for these smaller bags.

I am guessing this is just a precaution, but mine as well do it because I won't be using this all at once. Plus, if some bugs make it through the process, they will die during cooking thus adding protein to my pizza.  :P

As always, thanks for your help and input!!!

Offline dms

Re: Freezing Flour
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
Rule of thumb is to hold at 0F for three days, which is long enough to kill eggs.  Note that that's hold for three days, so three days plus time to get to zero.  in gallon bags, it shouldn't take too long to get there (depending on your freezer.)  It won't hurt to do it longer, nor to do three or four at a time, if you haven't got freezer space to fit them all.  (just don't mix frozen and unfrozen...)  If you're using the freezer compartment of a fridge, it probably won't get to zero, and you should hold longer, but I don't have a guideline (I'd do a week, but I don't have a reason for that.), nor do I know the lowest temp weevil eggs can survive at.

Offline Cayman

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:31:59 AM »
I have a dedicated stand-up freezer in the garage which has enough room for all of the bags. That is where they are all sitting now.   :)

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:45:56 AM »
We have a good size freezer and I just keep the whole bag in there all the time. Although my wife gets tired of a fair portion if it being taken up by bags of flour. I think I have 3 or 4 bags in there now.  :-[
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline Cayman

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »
I have actually started looking on craigslist for a commercial fridge/freezer that I can keep in my garage with my current freezer. This will give me plenty of room for several bags and plenty of fermentation of dough. :)

it was funny though; last night I was in the garage with the door shut, packing up gallon bags of flour and stacking them up. I felt like a drug dealer or something. :)

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »

it was funny though; last night I was in the garage with the door shut, packing up gallon bags of flour and stacking them up. I felt like a drug dealer or something. :)

Thats hilarious!

I had a similar situation. One of my best friends likes to bake cakes and pastries. He use A few hard to get flours and was wanting some good bread flour. So we did some trading. When I went home it was 1am on a saturday night (he is also the drummer in our band) and here I smelled like smoke, plus it being the time it was and carrying 2 1 gallon bags of white powder.

I just new somehow I was going to end up in jail till monday morning.  :-D

Thank goodness I didnt get pulled over. The cop would have been  :o
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline Cayman

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
TS... That's some funny stuff!!! I felt so guilty... hopefully my second bag will be better!!! Lol

Offline Ricklesss

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 08:22:38 PM »
Yup! That's funny!
 I recently had a very similar thing happen.
 Rode back from the FornoBravo Wood Fired Oven Expo with a 55 lb bag of Caputo flour on the back of the motorcycle. (had to ride, it was down by the Monterey Pinn.)
 Anyhow, the way it was wrapped up in plastic with tape (in case it rained) I told my gal friend if she didn't hear from me in a few days, I was probably in jail...
 (it didn't happen)
  RicklesssssS

pizzapan