Author Topic: "Sauteeing and Grilling" Oil  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Puzzolento

"Sauteeing and Grilling" Oil
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
I don't use extra-virgin oil in my crusts or sauce, because it's too strong. I like "light-tasting" oil instead, but it's a pain to find it in big, economical containers. I found another grade of oil tonight. "Sauteeing and Grilling" oil. It's lighter than extra-virgin, but slightly darker than the other stuff. I assume there must be something bad about it, because it's very cheap.

Has anyone tried this stuff?

Offline Mo

Re: "Sauteeing and Grilling" Oil
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 09:12:22 AM »
I don't use extra-virgin oil in my crusts or sauce, because it's too strong. I like "light-tasting" oil instead, but it's a pain to find it in big, economical containers. I found another grade of oil tonight. "Sauteeing and Grilling" oil. It's lighter than extra-virgin, but slightly darker than the other stuff. I assume there must be something bad about it, because it's very cheap.

you should use filipo berio light olive oil...it's not cheap but it's not terribly expensive either

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Mo,

I agree with you on the Filippo Berio Olive Oil.  Although I am sure different people will have their opinions on what the best olive oil to use, I really like this brand of olive oil.  I use it in my pizza dough at market, and also my sauce.  I also use it for cooking here at home.  It is a light colored olive oil and to my recollection, has never given any kind of bitter or off taste to anything.  As Mo stated it isn't too expensive.  I usually can get it on sale for anywhere between 19.99-22.99 for a can of 101 FL.oz-3qts.5FL.oz-3 Liters.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bob1

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:43:16 AM »
I grew up with Bertoli but now use different imported Sicilian EVOO that I get at a good price.  It usually changes because they purchase it in lots.  I really liked Parttanna but they do not have it any more.  The reason I comment is that I think Norma solved the question.  Note the words printed on the bottom of her can in red "Sauteing and Grilling".  Puzzo, Did you get the same thing that Norma posted?

Bob

Online dms

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »

It's made from a blend of  refined olive oil and higher quality oils.  Refined olive oil is essentially flavorless, and it's cheap.  {lots of olive oil has high quantities of free oleic acid, which is nasty tasting.  Historically these grades of oil were used for lamp fuel, soap, and other industrial use.  Refined oil has this removed by filtering, adsorption and chemical reaction.  Something like 50% of Greek and Italian production is like this.}  A more flavorful virgin oil is added to give it some taste. 

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:08:04 PM »
That appears to be the stuff. Thanks for the input.

I don't care what olive oil costs when I use it at home, but I'd like my church to make good money on the pizzas I make for them, so it's worthwhile for me to try to find cheap oil that works.

I hadn't thought about it before today, but the flavor of my pizza is actually very delicate, even though I make fat street-pizzeria-style Sicilian pies. That must be why extra-virgin is too strong for me.

Online dms

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:59:34 PM »
That appears to be the stuff. Thanks for the input.

I don't care what olive oil costs when I use it at home, but I'd like my church to make good money on the pizzas I make for them, so it's worthwhile for me to try to find cheap oil that works.

I hadn't thought about it before today, but the flavor of my pizza is actually very delicate, even though I make fat street-pizzeria-style Sicilian pies. That must be why extra-virgin is too strong for me.

If cost is a driving concern, I'd try a blend of a good quality olive oil (one you like the taste of, even if it's too strong on its own) and a neutral oil (corn or soybean, probably.).   You pay a premium price for flavorless oil in "pure olive oil", and you're paying a further premium for the "Fillipo Berio" name.  Something between 5% and 10% olive oil is probably where you'd end up. 

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
The thing I like about the light olive oil is that it has a buttery taste (in a Sicilian crust) that vegetable oil seems to lack, and you still get a little olive flavor.

I made a blend today and used it on some pies (because I forgot where the new bottle of light oil was), and they were very good. It was a little more than half olive oil. The other half was Mystery Food Service Oil in a big jug. But if I can put pure cheap olive oil in a pie without it costing 25 cents, that seems like the way to go.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 08:18:25 PM »
I made garlic rolls to test the "Sauteeing and Grilling" oil, and, although I prefer extra-virgin in rolls, it was fantastic. No off-flavors. It will definitely work in Sicilian. Thanks again.