Author Topic: Pizzeria Uno Chicago Grill - Fort Worth, TX  (Read 3824 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Pizzeria Uno Chicago Grill - Fort Worth, TX
« on: November 19, 2003, 09:43:20 PM »
Pizzeria Uno Chicago Grill - Fort Worth, TX

Well my family and I finally made it to Fort Worth and we ate at Pizzeria Uno for lunch.

Pizzeria is in the north part of downtown Fort Worth in a very nice area called Sundance Square.  If you have come through I highly recommend stopping in the area for some eating and sight seeing.

Arriving just before noon the place was already 90% full, yet, everyone I saw got a table or spot at the bar pretty fast.  On Monday through Friday from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm they offer a “Priority Lunch Special” for only $5.99 with a Pizza, deep dish or thin, soup or a side house salad and “Extra Prompt Service”.  Today’s deep dish pizza on the special was the Numero Uno (Cheese, chunky tomato, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions and peppers) and my wife got it with a bowl of chili.  I ordered an individual with cheese, chunky tomato, sausage, and pepperoni and my boys (3 ½ and 5) ordered a kids pepperoni pizza and kids cheese pizza (basically an individual thin crust).

We place our order shortly after 12 noon and it arrived at our table at 12:25.  It is important to note that this is not the exact same pizza (as I understand it) still served at the original Pizzeria Uno in Chicago, nevertheless, it does give some good clues to the style.

The first thing I noticed was although they put cheese on the top of the crust (under the toppings and sauce) they also but some shredded mozzarella on the top of the pizza as well as a few more chucks of tomato.  The next thing I noticed after taking a nice big bite was, damn this is good.  The crust defined the crisp/flaky/tender crust we have talked about here.  A big part of it had to be the fact that it truly tasted as though it had been fried in the pan which leads me to believe we need hotter ovens and more oil in the pan.  The sausage had a wonderful flavor that let you know it wasn’t from just any pizza joint.  The service was very good and everyone I saw really seemed to be enjoying their food.  Our final bill, including soft drinks for all 4 of us, was $26 plus tip.  I has helped out by the waiter you gave me the special price even though I didn’t order the correct pizza.

It was an enjoyable experience and I hope to return there soon.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re:Pizzeria Uno Chicago Grill - Fort Worth, TX
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 01:02:33 PM »
The Franchise is okay, but no where near the original Uno's or Due's. Going there next Weds.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 09:29:05 AM »
The Franchise is okay, but no where near the original Uno's or Due's. Going there next Weds.

I’m jealous!  I would not rate the franchise on the same level as the original.  As I pointed out it is not even the same recipe. Yet I did find that it was good in its right and plan to return the next time I’m in Fort Worth.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 05:27:46 PM »
I hear you. I'm going to a place called "Little Joe's" tonight. They had a place on 63rd street in Chicago (closed long ago). We used to go there when we were teenagers. They just opened a new place In New Lenox, IL...same menu. They make a thin, stuffed and deep dish, as well as Italian food, all priced very well. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 11:29:46 AM »
Little Joe's was fantastic. They're having some growing pains, new restaraunt, new staff, huge crowd, but the pizza was terrific. The pizza was just as it was when I was a kid!

Offline captain-insano

• Lets eat!
Re: Pizzeria Uno Chicago Grill - Fort Worth, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 11:35:58 PM »
The one's in Kansas City are a big disappointment. :(

pizzapan