Author Topic: Bertucci's (DOC compliance?)  (Read 4492 times)

Offline wayno

• grandson loves PIZZA
Bertucci's (DOC compliance?)
« on: March 09, 2005, 09:33:24 PM »
Has anyone eaten at Bertucci's?

http://www.bertuccis.com/

They claim to have DOC compliance.

"Bertucci’s is proud to be one of only a handful of restaurants in America awarded the Certificate of Authenticity from the prestigious L’Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana in Naples.
Made in classic Italian style, it’s truly one of the world’s best."

They are operating in 11 states.  There is one here in Richmond, VA that opened last year.  I have not been to it.  Will try to visit sometime when I get a chance and report back.

Wayno
At night, I either sleep, make love or dream about making pizza.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Bertucci's (DOC compliance?)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 01:00:58 PM »
Wayno,

Having spent my early years growing up in New England, where Bertucci's was founded, I tried out several of the Bertucci's restaurants. In the beginning, when the founder Joey Crugnale was in charge, I thought the Neapolitan pizzas were quite good. But Crugnale decided to take his small chain public and from there it was all downhill. He couldn't satify Wall Street with ever increasing earnings, the stock tanked, and when he couldn't match a buyout price from a private restaurant operator, he sold out. He walked away with over 20M at age 42. (He has since started two other restaurant chains). What's now left with Bertucci's is basically a franchise operation.

The last few times I tried the pizza, I was not impressed, especially since I was expecting more out of a place that has the VPN certification. As for the VPN certification, I am not sure of the current status. At one point, the VPN suspended Bertucci's, as you will note if you go to the VPN's U.S. website at http://www.verapizzanapoletana.org/vpn/vpn_frames-index.htm, and look at the bottom of the page. The VPN website isn't always current so it is possible that Bertucci's has been re-certified.

Even if Bertucci's has been re-certified, I don't think that the Neapolitan pizzas made by Bertucci's are all that authentic. Part of it is that the VPN rules are quite broad with big enough holes in them to drive a truck through (you can see the rules by clicking on the Charter link at the VPN website). For example, in my mind, a classic Neapolitan pizza should be made of imported 00 flour, fresh cow's milk mozzarella or imported buffalo mozzarella cheese, and San Marzano tomatoes (or at least some other equally good imported tomatoes). I know from having asked whether Bertucci's uses 00 flour that it doesn't (although they wouldn't say what flour they use). Bertucci's uses a fresh mozzarella cheese, but it uses crushed Roma tomatoes, not San Marzanos. The VPN rules are broad enough to allow these kinds of substitutions. What is authentic about Bertucci's is its wood burning ovens. But if what you put in those ovens is not of the highest quality, the finished pizza will reveal the shortcomings.

Peter

Offline wayno

• grandson loves PIZZA
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 02:07:42 PM »
Wayno,

What's now left with Bertucci's is basically a franchise operation.

The last few times I tried the pizza, I was not impressed, especially since I was expecting more out of a place that has the VPN certification. Peter
Peter,

Thanks for the information.  I think I'll "pass" on Bertucci's.

Wayno
At night, I either sleep, make love or dream about making pizza.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 02:58:49 PM »
Yeah, there are Bertucci's all over the Hartford, CT area, and I've eaten at a couple of them.  It's certainly an above average Pizza, but it doesn't rate with any of the best I've had in New York and New Haven.  Don't bother unless you're hungry.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 09:23:02 PM »
Living where I live, it's hard to be choosy.  You'se guy's in NY and elsewhere have it made.  That said,  Bertucci's makes an acceptable pie for me.  It is still fairly inconveinent for me to go, about a 45 minute drive from my home. 

I like the crust and what really got my attention was the amount of garlic they put on their pizzas when you ask for it!  WOW !  Sure, it's a chain, but as long as you don't kid yourself otherwise, I say they're okay for the family outing. 

Luckily, there are two pizza joints in my town that are run by Italians.  Both claim a NY pie, but they are slightly different in their crust.   One is  very chewy on the edge and typically thin at the point.   The other is a little crispier, but also has that NY sag at the tip. 

Mark

ps - I don't think they have a D.O.C. rating, otherwise it would be plastered on their website.
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood