Author Topic: Grande East Coast or 50/50  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Cayman

Grande East Coast or 50/50
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:30:28 AM »
I think I may have come across a source to buy Grande at wholesale prices, but it would require me to buy a case. I know this is a very subjective thing, but are there more people that prefer one over the other? (East Coast Blend vs. 50/50). Just don't want to buy 2 cases right now so I fgured it was worth a shot. :)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Grande East Coast or 50/50
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:13:20 PM »
The east coast blend is a great creamy mozzarella that is amazing in its ability to cook without browning as easily as just about any other "dry" mozzarella I know of.  It is a blend of part skim and whole milk mozzarella, so it has good flavor without being too oily.  If you like to add a hard grated cheese to your pizzas such as romano or parmisean this is probably a better bet. 

The 50/50 is a blend of mozzarella and provolone.   Most people feel like this cheese has more flavor, as the provolone brings some sharpness and a more assertive bite.   Because of the provolone in the mix this cheese blend is a little bit easier to brown (you might consider this a good or a bad thing), and it also releases a bit more oil than the east coast blend.   With this cheese you will probably not feel the need to add any additional grated cheese to your pizza.

I think you will be happy with either cheese!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:18:32 PM by scott r »

Offline Cayman

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:21:45 PM »
Thanks Scott!! I wasn't planning on worrying about toppings and sauce right now. I really wanted to stay focused on my dough but then this came along so I figured I would ask. :) The guy is supposed to let me know later on so I will keep my fingers crossed. :)

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »
I tried East Coast Blend today, and it has almost no flavor.

Offline Cayman

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »
That's shocking, as it seems to be one of the favorite cheeses by everone here.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »
Surprised me, too. Maybe it's a bad match for my sauce.

Offline Cayman

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 03:54:41 PM »
What date is on the bag? But like anything food related, you may have a million people like something, but there is bound to be 1 or 2 who don't. :)

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:05:33 PM »
I left the bag at my church, where I made test pizzas today, so I don't know the date. I didn't bring it home, because I knew I wouldn't use it. I'm going to tell them to put it in pasta dishes or give it away or something. The date wouldn't matter anyway. Old cheese would have more flavor, not less. And I doubt the rep who gave it to me gives prospective customers bad cheese.

Everyone who tried Grande today, and who had also tried my regular blend, preferred the old stuff. It's not just me.

It's not bias. I wanted the Grande to work, because I can get it delivered by truck instead of going across town to pick it up. Maybe 50/50 will be a better experience.

Offline Cayman

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »
Well if you happen to try the 50/50, be sure to share your thoughts on that one.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 04:33:13 PM »
Should have 50/50 in hand this coming week. It would be great to be able to use one product delivered by truck, instead combining two things I have to drive to buy.

Offline AJ72

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 04:48:43 PM »
Haven't tried the 50/50 but the East Coast Blend is the best I have used to date.  I like only Mozzarella in my pizzas so I will probably never try the 50/50.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »
Flavor is not the strong point of Grande cheese.   If you want flavor you are going to have to augement it or look to other brands.   It is, however, the best melter and re-heater there is.    The 50/50 definitely has more flavor than the east coast blend.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 05:21:54 PM »
Good info to have. The last time I tried Grande, it did not lack flavor, but that may have been because the bag sat in hot U.S. Postal Service or UPS vehicles for several days before I received it. It tasted a little funky, in a good way. Can't recall which blend it was.

Maybe I could rehabilitate this stuff by adding grated cheese.

The blend I usually use is very soft when you reheat it. I don't know if that's considered good or bad.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »
Learned something new today at PMQ. Apparently mozzarella may not perform well if it's more than a few months old, so I was wrong to think the date was not an issue.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »
I was using the ECB before then I wanted to try the Italian Blend(50/50), I think the IB is way better in taste then the ECB. It has that kinda saltyness you want from the cheese but at the same time its not overpowering. I am not going back to the ECB and sticking with the IB. They both seem to oil the same to me when cooking.

Offline Aldo

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 12:44:06 AM »
Wow, you guys are lucky (I think) -- I am only going to try Grande's 50/50 for the first time in a week or two.  But I am out West in Seattle and the only place I can get it only carries the 50/50, not the East Coast Blend.  I wish I could try both side by side.

Over the years I've used a variety of mozzarella cheeses, from Tenuta's 5# low moisture part skim loaf/brick (a Kenosha, WI cheese), to the usual store varieties, including Costco, and I tried "First Street" (both whole milk and "pizza cheese" blends.)  Frankly, the First Street didn't knock my socks off.  But I'll definitely let you know how I think the 50/50 stacks up.  I do have high expectations, as many people say good things about Grande's products here on this forum.

I also have a question: how many of the Chicago-area pizza places do you think use Grande products?  Any sense?  Just curious where its biggest markets are, because there's not a lot in Seattle, I can tell you that.  if anyone has good Seattle recommendations, please le me know!

Offline gorbachevguy

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 05:08:48 PM »
my father-in-law actually works for grande and we were talking one day and he said they are really big on the east coast and for some reason california, but chicago, even though it is really close to grande is a market they aren't too big in.  that kinda surprised me.

Offline Aldo

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 05:08:22 PM »
Thanks, gorbachevguy.  I just saw your reply.  I had thought that by proximity to one of the largest pizza eating cities and regions on the planet that Grande was a natural candidate for supplying their cheese needs. So I am surprised to hear of your father-in-law's experience.  Curious -- who then supplies so much of the stuffed pizzas I grew up on?  (I am a stuffed pizza maker trying to find the "perfect" cheese blend, but I am going to put my experimentation on hold for now, as my oven's on the fritz.  Shoot!)

Offline dms

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 08:42:27 PM »
my father-in-law actually works for grande and we were talking one day and he said they are really big on the east coast and for some reason california, but chicago, even though it is really close to grande is a market they aren't too big in.  that kinda surprised me.

People in chicago have no shortage of superlative cheeses available at commodity prices.  You'd be nuts to pay grande's premium, when you can get just as good a cheese for 20% less. 

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 09:54:54 PM »
People in chicago have no shortage of superlative cheeses available at commodity prices.  You'd be nuts to pay grande's premium, when you can get just as good a cheese for 20% less. 

I don't get yeaaaaa point
Grande is about $11 - 13 for a 5lb bag of Grande East coast blend chesse.
What premium????
Yeaaa saving a Dollar or Two  if you are buy a differant brand of chesse.
I am sure MOST will stay with Grande and will be more then happy to spend that dollar extra.
Price should not matter when making your own pizza..........JT