Author Topic: Any Suggestions for a Newbie NY Style Sauce?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline fireman117

Any Suggestions for a Newbie NY Style Sauce?
« on: April 02, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »
Hi All,
Hope this doesn't open a huge can of worms, but does anyone have a suggestion for a sauce for this weekend. I'm sure there are probably endless variations, but I'm looking for a good representation of what you'd expect in a typical NY Pizza place. I've never had the opportunity to try a NY pie in NY, so I'm really not even sure what the sauce would be like.
Also, I live in the midwest, my tomato options are limited!
Thank you,
Eric

Offline Gags

Re: Any Suggestions for a Newbie NY Style Sauce?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »
Everybody's tastes are different, but here's my $0.02...

I used to use real San Marzano tomatoes and also some San Marzano-type tomatoes.
I know some folks use Roma tomatoes...

These days, I am experimenting with Full Red crushed and Full Red pureed tomatoes. 
They have great natural sweetness to start with.  Then, to a #10 can portion, I add about:

5 tsp's of dried oregano
5 tsp's of garlic powder
1 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of salt
some honey to adjust sweetness to taste...

So I prefer more seasoning than traditionalists perhaps.
I know my local pizzeria in NY would use a ton of garlic in their sauce, so that's what I prefer.

I guess you could try to find some off the shelf products to compare your sauce to.
When I first tinkered with pizza, I found Enrico's jarred pizza sauce wasn't bad....and Full Red has a prefab pizza sauce. 
I haven't tried it, so I can't describe its flavor.

Or you could have a NY pie mailed to you and try to reverse-engineer their sauce!
(There are pizzerias that will express mail pizza, but it is expensive!)

Good luck!
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
Eric,

You might get some ideas and insights on NY style pizza sauces from http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7498.msg64478.html#msg64478 and the links in that thread. Unfortunately, at the home user level, the products used by professionals, such as the many Stanislaus products, are generally unavailable. However, I like the RedPack crushed tomato products and recently, for the first time, I tried and really liked the Pastene Kitchen Ready ground peeled tomatoes. As a substitute for the Stanislaus tomatoes, which are fresh-pack tomatoes, I use the 6 IN 1 fresh-pack tomatoes available for purchase at escalon.net. When I don't have any of the above tomato products on hand, I will sometimes use the Wal-Mart crushed tomatoes. In my opinion, they are not as good at the other tomatoes I mentioned, but will do in a pinch and they are very cheap. On occasion, I have tried the Hunts and Contadina tomato products that are found on most supermarket shelves but did not like them as well as those mentioned above.

For your additional information, I understand that the Red Gold tomatoes are the same as the RedPack tomatoes in case you can find the Red Gold's but not the RedPacks. See, for example, Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8301.msg71643/topicseen.html#msg71643.

Peter

Offline EJB

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 06:44:26 AM »
I use 1 can of Cento, San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes. Put it in the blender with some salt and pepper and it's enough for 2 17" pizzas.

pizzapan