Author Topic: Pastrami Pizza  (Read 11017 times)

Offline 4D55 Performance Inc.

• Smoke Master
Pastrami Pizza
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:35:10 PM »
Has any one else ever made a pastrami pizza?

It's one of my favorites. I use a my standard NY pizza dough and then I sauce it with Beaver Brand's Deli Mustard. That's right Mustard, I use Beaver Brand Deli Mustard because it is has whole mustard seeds which give a great texture and I think it's spicy brown flavor complements the pastrami really well. Make sure not to go light on the Mustard. Next I top it with a swiss and mozzarella cheese mix. Finally I add some chopped pastrami and black olives. I don't really like Mustard but this pizza is amazingly delicious.

I found a pic of pastrami pizza on Wiki. The one's I have made look like this but they have olives, I am a sucker for olives.
I smoke my pie

Spence

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
Re: Pastrami Pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:15:47 PM »
very cool.  Crust looks cool too.  Can you share your recipie?

• Smoke Master
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:04:01 PM »
very cool.  Crust looks cool too.  Can you share your recipie?

Besides the dough, I just do everything by sight. I will try to get you some exact measurements for the mustard, cheeses, pastrami and olives. I have to wait a few days before I can bake pie because I ran out of high glute flour and I had to order some more from the mill. I will also take a some of my own pics instead of barrowing a picture from wiki.

In all reality it's a pretty easy pizza, I was just eating a hot pastrami sandwich off of my panini maker one day and I said to my self, "I bet this would make a great Pizza". After trying 4 to 5 different mustards I came across Beaver Brand Deli Mustard. Heres the links to the mustard, but I just buy it at my local grocery store.

http://www.beavertonfoods.com/beaver.php

http://beavertonfoods.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_11&products_id=52
I smoke my pie

Spence

Offline Guts

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:55:32 PM »
This is on my to try list for sure! maybe with a few thin sliced onion too.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

• Smoke Master
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:15:53 PM »
Hmmm, never thought of adding onions, I bet it would be good with some Walla Walla's.
I smoke my pie

Spence

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »
How about replacing some of the white flour with rye flour in the dough?

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

• Smoke Master
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »
How about replacing some of the white flour with rye flour in the dough?

Craig

Never tried using Rye flour, but it sound like a great idea. What's the protien percentage in rye flour? I have only made this Pastrami Pizza about 2 dozen times so it still a pretty new recipe. I did scoop up some Pastrami today, but it sounds like I'll have to get some Rye flour as well.
I smoke my pie

Spence

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »
Never tried using Rye flour, but it sound like a great idea. What's the protien percentage in rye flour?

Spence,

You can see the particulars for a generic rye flour (light) at http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5730/2. You can also find dark and medium rye flour at the same website.

In terms of amount of rye flour to use, you might be guided by the recipe that Alice Waters (of Chez Panisse fame) has recommended over the years. It is posted at Reply 127 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,524.msg17409/topicseen.html#msg17409. If you have a particular combined protein content of your regular flour and rye flour, you might also be able to use the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/.

Peter

• Smoke Master
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 02:14:03 AM »
Thanks Pete,

I saw several different rye flours when I was at the Whole Foods Market yesterday. Problem is Whole Foods is about a two hour drive each way so, it may be a week or two before I make it back to Whole Foods if I cannot find some rye flour locally.
I smoke my pie

Spence

Offline Pizza!!

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »
That looks delicious and it's been added to my list of pizza's to make.

• Smoke Master
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 01:19:56 AM »
I made a pastrami pizza the other day and it was as amazing as ever. Initially I had a few skeptics but all of them commented that it was amazing and several even said they it was there new favorite pizza.
I smoke my pie

Spence

• Smoke Master
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 01:26:04 AM »
I also made a pepperoni and olive pizza for the kids, but the adults were all over this pizza as well.
I smoke my pie

Spence

Offline EJB

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 06:58:37 AM »
I tried the pastrami, beig from NY I also added some sourkraut I dried in a frying pan. It was good but didn't compare to the plain, pepperoni, and buffalo chicken I made that same day.

Ed

• Smoke Master
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:08:23 AM »
I tried the pastrami, beig from NY I also added some sourkraut I dried in a frying pan. It was good but didn't compare to the plain, pepperoni, and buffalo chicken I made that same day.

Ed

Yeah I had a very long trial period with mustards, cheeses and other toppings including kraut before I found a combo that was lights out. I only had to do kraut once to know it does not belong on pizza. The real secret here is the mustard. The Beaver Brand Deli Mustard makes or breaks the pizza.
I smoke my pie

Spence

pizzapan