Author Topic: Grande Cheddar Blend  (Read 997 times)

Offline Puzzolento

Grande Cheddar Blend
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:37:22 PM »
I just made a 12" pie with Grande Cheddar Blend. The rep said I could use less cheese than usual. Don't know why. I decided to go from my usual 7 ounces to 6. It worked fine, but I can't say it looks any different from what I would have expected from Costco cheese.

As for the qualities of the cheese: wow, is it oily.

I don't think oiliness is a flaw. Some people prefer it. But this was more oil than I wanted. The cheese didn't brown at all, as far as I can see, and that's how I like it, but less fat would have been nice.

I didn't notice the cheddar or provolone flavors, apart from a little sourness. It seemed like a fairly sour mozzarella. Had plenty of stretch. It was the color of ordinary mozzarella.

Because of the sourness and high fat, this cheese is not for me, but there is nothing wrong with it. I thought I'd post this in case someone else wanted info on it.

Now I don't know what to do with it! I still have almost five pounds. Maybe I should mix it half and half with GFS mozzarella, which is a little dry. Then I could freeze it for later.

Offline Bob1

Re: Grande Cheddar Blend
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
Puzzolento,
I have wanted to try this blend for a while now.  In fact I just talked to a vendor today about breaking a case for me in the future.  What temp and time did you cook it at? 

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Puzzolento

Re: Grande Cheddar Blend
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »
I went for 550 and 7 minutes.

I would suggest you try it, because my sauce is acidic, and that may have made the cheese's sourness seem more intense.

pizzapan