Author Topic: Tried 3 Grande Cheeses Today  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Puzzolento

Tried 3 Grande Cheeses Today
« on: February 25, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »
A Grande rep gave me samples of three cheeses, so I made Sicilian and thin pizzas today to try the cheese out.

I was pretty disappointed. I've had many great pizzas made (so the promotional posters claimed, anyway) with Grande cheese, so I figured at least one of these cheeses would do it for me. But everyone who tried the pizza agreed that my original blend was better.

1. Whole-milk mozzarella. Cooked beautifully, and the oiling off wasn't bad, but it had almost no flavor.

2. East Coast Blend. Browned more, in an odd way that didn't improve the pizza the way browning sometimes does. No oil problems. Very little flavor.

3. Cheddar Blend. Lots of sour flavor, which is okay if that's what you like, but the oiling off was very heavy. Too much for my tastes.

Haven't been able to get 50/50 yet. That's the one I really wanted to try.

I put a layer of provolone on the Sicilians before applying the Grande, so that may have had some impact, but I didn't mix cheeses on the thin pies.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Tried 3 Grande Cheeses Today
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 05:05:55 PM »
this all sounds spot on with my experiences.    I think the 50/50 will be your favorite, but you will probably still want to use a different cheese.   The 50/50 is not as sharp/sour/tangy as the cheddar blend, but its slightly in that direction from the straight mozzarella.   

pizzapan