Author Topic: The Pizza Diet  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Bob1

The Pizza Diet
« on: July 03, 2010, 07:59:09 AM »

scott123

Re: The Pizza Diet
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:23:36 AM »
A slice every three hours?! That's starvation!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
Pizza diets definitely do not work, I know.  ::)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:13:07 AM »
I don't know. Bill/SFNM once reported that he made 175 pizzas using a particular flour and, although others helped him consume the pizzas, his blood pressure went down from normal to less and his weight remained constant, to the point where he pondered writing a pizza diet book and going on Oprah: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3500.msg29595/topicseen.html#msg29595.

Peter

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:58:31 AM »
This guy was in the PMQ mag couple months ago.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »
I don't know. Bill/SFNM once reported that he made 175 pizzas using a particular flour and, although others helped him consume the pizzas, his blood pressure went down from normal to less and his weight remained constant, to the point where he pondered writing a pizza diet book and going on Oprah: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3500.msg29595/topicseen.html#msg29595.

Peter

Since that post, I have eaten a few hundred more pies (and switched back to Caputo!). Lots of pies and cakes and fatty foods. Almost no processed foods. Weight is down about 10 pounds since then! Oprah's people still haven't contacted me.  :(

Seriously, I strongly believe that if I eat foods I truly enjoy, even profoundly enjoy like pizza, I end much more satisfied and eating less. Doesn't hurt to run the trails with the dog an hour each day.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 03:24:06 PM »
Some recent medical studies seem to suggest that meat, especially red meat, isn't quite the villain as has long been thought and characterized. It is processed meats, such as hotdogs, cold cuts and bacon, which meat eaters also tend to consume, that is now believed to be the cause of a lot of medical conditions, primarily because of their high sodium content.

Other recent studies also seem to suggest that exercise is not a particularly good way to lose weight. Apparently heavy exercisers often offset the effects of weight loss from exercise by eating more food than normal. Part of that might be psychological; people think they are losing a lot of weight and, as a result, cut themselves a bit more slack in their eating and end up eating more. However, according to the studies, people who regularly exercise are able to better maintain their weight. I have tested these theories in my own exercise regimen, and what I have experienced is consistent with the results of the recent studies. I also recalled looking at lists of calorie losses for different forms of exercise and was surprised to see how much exercise was required to lose a meaningful amount of weight.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 03:55:22 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
I think the larger issue is how processed foods are. I've noticed, I could eat something with a lot of calories but as long as it's all natural, it doesn't really affect me much. However, foods with high fructose corn syrup and other garbage felt like they did my body a load of damage.

Pizza is all natural.

Offline Crider

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:52:35 PM »
I think if the salty sausages are skipped and if one goes with a whole wheat crust, pizza is a health food!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »
It's likely the preservatives and the inactive lifestyle that goes along with eating those types of processed foods.  Asian people tend to take in an obscene amount of sodium in their diet but yet maintain relative good health.  They (the older generation) also eat mostly unprocessed foods as well and tend to be more active and eat less in general than their Amerasians counterparts and the younger generation. 

And as far as exercise and healthy eating goes, I've notice in my own life that when I am physically active I tend to choose better foods.  Yes I do splurge here and there and consume more food than when I'm not active, but the type of foods I consume are vastly healthier overall compared to the many junk foods I eat when I don't exercise.   Overall, I would say I likely consume less calories and burn more when I am living a healthy lifestyle, which btw is not the current situation.  Dang pizza addiciton!  :'(

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:03:08 AM »
Sodium isn't processed, and the Asian community actually tends to eat more fresh vegetables and food in general.

The stuff we eat, however, is metabolized entirely different than natural foods. For example, high fructose corn syrup is not metabolized like cane sugar. Additionally, studies have show it can mess with your brain chemistry as well. And, heck, the guy who discovered aspartame has said he wouldn't give it to his own family!

One should be fine so long as they eat in moderation and eat naturally, and that fits right in with the pizza diet.

It's likely the preservatives and the inactive lifestyle that goes along with eating those types of processed foods.  Asian people tend to take in an obscene amount of sodium in their diet but yet maintain relative good health.  They (the older generation) also eat mostly unprocessed foods as well and tend to be more active and eat less in general than their Amerasians counterparts and the younger generation. 

And as far as exercise and healthy eating goes, I've notice in my own life that when I am physically active I tend to choose better foods.  Yes I do splurge here and there and consume more food than when I'm not active, but the type of foods I consume are vastly healthier overall compared to the many junk foods I eat when I don't exercise.   Overall, I would say I likely consume less calories and burn more when I am living a healthy lifestyle, which btw is not the current situation.  Dang pizza addiciton!  :'(

Offline PizzaFoodie

• PizzaFoodie.com
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 02:11:48 AM »
I think I saw this guy at the pizza expo earlier this year. He made some good points about how pizza, just like anything else, is not bad for you in moderation. Just because it is pizza doesn't mean you can't eat it if you are watching what you eat. But, trying to change the public's perception about pizza  is a tall order. :pizza:

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
Pizza diets definitely do not work, I know.  ::)

If you bike 60 miles a day, they might, but then you pretty much could eat anything.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

pizzapan