Author Topic: Power outage...what would you do?  (Read 171 times)

Offline Seven

Power outage...what would you do?
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:41:52 PM »
So, my power went out last night around 8:00 pm and is still off. The local utility is projecting power to be restored tonight around 8:00, so a full 24 hours. I have a 5# unopened block of whole milk mozz in the fridge, along with an unopened 5# bag of grated cheese and various other, previously opened cheeses. The refrigerator hasn't been opened since the power went out but I intend on checking everything tonight before deciding whether to throw away or not. I'll go by feel and will also temp the items with my IR thermometer. Do you think the cheese is doomed? Without power, the house probably got into the upper 70s today if I had to guess.

I also have a can of pasteurized crab meat that I planned on using this weekend...I may have to make other plans for that!

Thanks!

Offline scott123

Re: Power outage...what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 05:39:56 PM »
24 hours... that's a tough call.  Is the fridge relatively full or empty? In these scenarios, full is better. I would get an IR reading of various parts of the fridge as soon as the power comes back on.  If it's 60 or below, that, to me, would signify that the cheese hasn't spent too many hours outside of fridge temps. North of 60... I wouldn't toss the cheese, but I'd use it quickly, and, if it smells the least bit funny, then I'd probably toss it.

That's totally a gut feeling, though, and I'm probably erring on the side of caution.  Mozzarella predates refrigeration.

If you do save the cheese, you might want to toss it in the freezer for a couple minutes to quick chill it, making sure not to freeze it. The faster you can get it back to fridge temp, the better.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:43:54 PM by scott123 »

Offline Seven

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:59:05 PM »
Thanks Scott! I checked everything perishable in the fridge and everything was below 60. Stuff in the freezer was still frozen solid. All cheese, yeast and crab meat was packed into a cooler with ice packs as soon as I got home. Power just came back on and the fridge tells me it's 55 and the freezer 33. The mozz is pretty soft so I'll firm it up before shredding tomorrow or Friday. I know the USDA guidelines and botulism is nothing to mess with but I think I lucked out today.

Yesterday's storm came through fast and did some damage! Lost the top 50-60 feet of a tree and several other large limbs but damage is minimal.

Thanks again!

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 08:50:17 AM »
Glad to hear you made it through the storms.  As for the cheese, any time longer and I would have called family and friends and we would have been sitting around a candle eating cheese sandwiches!   :-D
Tom

pizzapan