Author Topic: Re: What's the Story with Grande Cheese?  (Read 19766 times)

Offline nh pie

Re: What's the Story with Grande Cheese?
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 02:46:18 AM »
Personally....I think there is some truth to people hating grande because they are so expensive.  But, if money was the only concern, why so much less hate for stanislaus??

IMO, its because stanislaus is SO MUCH BETTER THAN 99% OF OTHER TOMATOES.  Grande on the other hand, again, IMO, is much more expensive and NOT that much better, if at all.  To me, its simply to salty.  I shred a log of grande, hold a handful up to my nose....and nothing....I smell very little of that "popcorn" smell.  I shred a local cheese, one that I prefer, melts perfectly, has a creamy taste AND smells like fresh buttered popcorn, is way less salty AND far cheaper.

I will pay extra, always for a product I see as superior...I use Stanislaus Valoroso, the most expensive they make, and will NEVER change....but I will NEVER use Grande, simply because I cannot see how spending the extra money will improve my product.

Again, MOO.

Who do you use locally? I'm going to be in the area and would love to try out a new cheese.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 11:18:17 AM »
ERASMO,

I get all my cheeses, pepperoni, sausage, and Stanislaus products from Hometown Provisions in Willow Street, Pa.  They deliver right to market or if I need an extra item, I can just go pick it up.

http://www.hometownprovisions.net/

I know this subject of Grande and cheeses is something not all people agree with. 
I weigh my cheese that goes on each pie.  I haven't found any difference in how much cheese you need for a pie from Grande to my blend now.

Again this is my opinion,

Norma

This place is wholesale only, correct?  Their website doesn't indicate otherwise.  I've been to Bova but I don't live out there, and they don't think they carry Stanislaus products.  I have a PA tax id, and I think that paperwork is enough to get a membership for Restaurant Depot, but I don't live near any of those either.  I do get to Lancaster on occasion, and have been looking for a source for Stanislaus products to try.  I'm satisfied enough with the SM clones and the Rosa SMs, that I can't justify the high shipping cost for Stanislaus.
If Hometown is only wholesale to the food industry, I'm out of luck there.  I don't think it matters for RD. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »
This place is wholesale only, correct?  Their website doesn't indicate otherwise.  I've been to Bova but I don't live out there, and they don't think they carry Stanislaus products.  I have a PA tax id, and I think that paperwork is enough to get a membership for Restaurant Depot, but I don't live near any of those either.  I do get to Lancaster on occasion, and have been looking for a source for Stanislaus products to try.  I'm satisfied enough with the SM clones and the Rosa SMs, that I can't justify the high shipping cost for Stanislaus.
If Hometown is only wholesale to the food industry, I'm out of luck there.  I don't think it matters for RD.

gfgman,

I just called Hometown Provisions and they only sell to restaurants and other food businesses.  Hometown Provisions sells the Stanislaus tomato products by the case.  If you are interested I could purchase a case for you.  You would have to look on their website to see what they offer in the way of Stanislaus products.  Up the road from Lancaster is Fred's Music and Tasty Licks BBQ Supply.  I think Fred only carries the 7/11 Ground Tomatoes.  http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/STANISLAUS_7_11_GROUND_TOMATOES_6LB_9OZ_CAN_10_C_p/sta711.htm 

I don't know how close you might be to Master Food Distributor's but they do cash and carry and I did not need any identification to be able to purchase a couple of blocks of mozzarella there.
http://www.masterfooddist.com/  I know they carry Stanislaus products but probably only sell by the case too.  I think there are two Master's Food Distributors.  One in Phila. and one in Boothwyn, Pa.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
Who do you use locally? I'm going to be in the area and would love to try out a new cheese.

We use a local cheesemaker in east haven, I believe, CALABRO.   Am i mistaken is thinking that all states have a local low moisture, full fat mozzarella??  I would bet that there are many local cheesemakers, not well known, that make great cheese......

pizzapan