Author Topic: anyone know what oven this is?  (Read 7133 times)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
anyone know what oven this is?
« on: March 12, 2005, 02:38:46 PM »
Hey, I'm just trying to figure out what this oven is and if they even make them anymore.  I don't have a picture of it or anything but they used to have one here at what used to be a Little Caesars.  This was in the late 70's prior to the "pizza pizza" switchover or whatever.  I'm not sure what the deal was exactly but shortly after they switched over to "pizza pizza" this place closed.  I heard that it was because they didn't want to be part of the new chain or whatever.   ???

Anyway, this oven was kind of like a deck oven only it had 3-4 "decks" in it that were on like a carousel or rotisserie type thing.  I remember it had something near the top of it that looked like a clock.  I think it was to tell you where each of the "decks" were at in the oven at the time.  So if they needed to get a pizza out they'd know where it was at in the oven.

Does anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?  I'm sure it was a gas oven.  I have looked all over the internet and haven't seen anything even close to it.  :-\
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: anyone know what oven this is?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 07:41:32 PM »
I have briefly worked with the type of oven you are talking about. It was imported from US here in UK for a new restaurant concept that did not work. We open in 2001 and closed in 2003. We use to make something like what you call sicilian pizza in US.

I don't remember the manufacturer or the model name

Marco

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 11:48:09 AM »
Well thanks anyway.  I still haven't found anything like it online.  Just wanted to show it to a friend of mine.

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 01:29:15 PM »
NATHAN:
  Good Afternoon. I do not eat pizza'sout very much if ever, however, I always notice the ovens because i am culinary college educated in Baking. So, little things like that interest me. The 2 ovens that are most popular & used in these chain type places are "ROTO-FLEX

GO TO:

www.pizzamarketplace.com/sf_443.htm

The ovens that are used in culinary colleges and in pizza stores as well but as much as mentioned above is are "BLODGETT STACK OVENS"..

If you need further information I may be able get it for you. Have a nice day my friend.
   ~DINKS.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 01:51:29 PM »
dinks,
Recently, I have read your posts with great interest.

I had a sense that you were a master having something to do with pizza. I just couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks for sharing your background. As part of your baking experience and expertise I would imagine you bake pizzas in the desert of Las Vegas no?

I would be interested, as I'm sure all members would be, about your opinion on pizza. Likes, dislikes, preferences. I'm particularly interested in your professional opinion on starters.

Care to share?
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 01:58:38 PM »
Dinks,

You rascal. You have been holding back on us :).

Like pft, I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts and I also suspected that you were trained in baking because of some of the subtle--but fascinating--points you would make. I hope you will share more of your knowledge and wisdom about pizzas/doughs with us.

Peter

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 03:13:17 PM »
PFTAYLOR:
  Good Afternoon. First I should apologize for not getting back sooner to you & PETER. My problem is that I am computer illerate & I cannot find the posts that I would like to re-read. Also if that isn't enough, I am of advanced age & I do not remember current happenings most often. To answer your question......  YES!!!, I do bake  pizzas approx 1 1/2 pizzas weekly. I make 6 balls per month.  7 .75, oz/ about 9 inch in diameter... baked as  thin crust pizzas(Is there any other kind???) LOL.  PF, my recipe or how I make them are not any better nor superior than anyone  else's. We both agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do not like  to criticize anyone for lack of knowledge instead when I see it, I politely offer my help.Which can be accepted or rejected. Lack of knowledge or baking science leads to failure. I think we both agree that we learn more from our failures than our suceesses. I do not use very expensive topping ingredients because my strong opinion is that 85% of the pizza pie is in the crust, & not in the topping quality. Hunt's & S&W brand tomatoes are xlnt brands. So is Polly-O  mozzie cheese  Nothing wrong with canned mushrooms that is if you marinate them for about 4-6 hours first. The baking procceedure is most important next to the type of flour & proper mixing & dough handling when using home style ovens Iike, G.E.,Whirlpool ,Hotpoint, Kenmore, ete.  Using this type of oven is not the same as the large bread ovens like ROTO-FLEX & BLODGETT OVENS.  Nevertheless PF, using certain simple tecniques the home pizza can be almost as good.

You asked me for my opinion on starters, Pf, the only one I prefer to employ is the "TRUE POOLISH".
As it then qualifies to  be used in the autolyse technique properly& efectively. I always use those two tecniques  for yeasted lean breads & pizzas, as pizza is included it is  just a variation.
    PF thank-you for your interest in me, I sincerly appreciate it. I enjoyed being with you this morning. Good luck to you & have a nice day my friend.

~DINKS.

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 03:18:08 PM »
PETER:
  Good afternoon. I would to apoligize for being tardy in getting back to you. Please read my post to PFTAYLOR for my explanation. I see & read your postings almost everyday. I look forward in  seeing & reading them. Have a nice day my frend,
  ~DINKS>

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 03:47:02 PM »
Dinks,

Thank you very much.

We are privileged to have you share the wisdom and knowledge that comes from long years of experience.

Peter

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 04:25:47 PM »
Dinks,
You are so kind to have responded to my questions.

You have a magnetic personality about you. One which makes us all feel better. Do not worry about your humble computer skills, as I cannot spell words correctly to save my life. Nevertheless, I appreciate your sage advice and look forward to learning from you in the near future.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 08:48:39 AM »
Dinks,

Sorry its taken me so long to reply but I've been trying to find one of these ovens.  I have seen the roto flex and that's not it. 

Last night on the Emeril live show "READ THIS LOUD AND CLEAR" Sal was using this oven.  Not Emeril.  Emeril couldn't make a pizza if his life depended on it.   ;D

Sorry if I offended anyone, I know Emeril has his strengths but pizza isn't one of them...

Don

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 02:23:49 PM »
your original question was what type of oven? I have never been to your site so Sorry for taking so long to get the answer to your question.
 Here is the web site.. its called a Carousel deck oven
http://www.rotoflexoven.com/home.html
Hope it helps.. take care all

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »
The Sbarro here in Lenox Mall in Atlanta uses a rotating oven, but it's not the Roto-Flex in the photo.  That's all I know...

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 03:15:58 PM »
Actually the one I was talking about isn't a Roto-Flex either.  I found a couple posts on the think tank by Tom Lehmann describing the one I was talking about. 

He says: "I don't think FISH ever made any conveyor ovens. All of the FISH ovens that I've ever seen were "reel" type ovens. This is the type of oven that rotates like a Ferris Wheel (carnival ride). They can be had with different shelf surfaces such as open grid, steel deck, or composite deck. For pizza, I would think that either the composite or steel deck would be the best choice. This type of oven is commonly used in Chicago for baking pizzas. It is also a very common bakery oven for use in small retail bakeries. Chech with Middleby-Marshall at 800-323-5575 or The Reed Oven Company at 816-842-7446.
The ovens come in a number of different sizes. Most that I've seen used for pizza have 6 shelves and are about 6 to 8 feet wide.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor"

Someone else posted a link to a site that makes them: http://fishoven.com/

I'm not sure if this is the same brand as the one they had at this place in town here but it's the same type (revolving tray).

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 02:12:02 AM »
Saccone's here in Austin uses one of those rotating rack ovens too, but it has more glass on it than that roto-flex thingamjiggy.

It's site to behold though... watching all those beautiful pies rotating around and gettin' happy.

*drool*
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 12:44:49 AM »
Hi,

I am not sure of the specific model your looking for, but some of the chicago pizza places and bakerys use rotisserie style rotating conveyor ovens.  The Giordano's pizza place uses a Cutler model.  I see the cooks open the oven to check the pizzas and you can see the decks revolving.  Its very different then the modern little caesars ovens.  I hear Cutler is a popular choice for bagel and bakeries.

The little caesars uses a middleby-marshall conveyor oven, as does  the pizza hut.  Assembly line pizza, throw it on one end, and in 8 minutes it pops out the other.

Sorry, I couldn't provide any real specifics.

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 04:40:58 PM »
nathan, i know what oven you speak of.  I think its a revolving oven.  the "clock" tells you the postion of the decks.  The bakery i'm getting ready to run had a revolving oven in it.  I have pics of it, and if i can find one i'll attach it.

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 04:43:12 PM »
This oven was installed around 1950.  The "clock" is barely visible on the far right hand panel in the middle...above the scissors.

pizzapan