Author Topic: In need of assistance!!!  (Read 7862 times)

Offline EEnotPizzaE

Re: In need of assistance!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 02:03:34 PM »
I am sure that lack of experience played a big part in my dislike of the emergency dough. I made 2 dough balls this morning using the full PJ clone from post 20 of your thread....I will let you know how they work.

Offline EEnotPizzaE

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2010, 09:33:56 AM »
Pete-zza -

I finally got ahold of some VWG....how much do you suggest adding for a 20-22 oz doughball?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »
Pete-zza -

I finally got ahold of some VWG....how much do you suggest adding for a 20-22 oz doughball?

Amie,

Can you tell me what amount, type and brand of flour you plan to use and also the brand of VWG you plan to use? With that information, you might be able to answer your own question by using the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/. However, I will help you if you need it.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:10:24 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline EEnotPizzaE

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2010, 10:00:11 AM »
I have been using the Better for Bread flour, as it is the most readily available for me...for now I just grabbed the Hodgson Mill VWG because I didn't have enough cash on me to get the $7 stuff this time.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »
Amie,

You forgot to tell me how much flour you will be using. Is there a particular dough recipe you will be using and, if so, which one is it?

Peter

Offline EEnotPizzaE

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »
oops, sorry....I typically use the 1 or 2 day ferment of the papa john's clone....sometimes the emergency now that I got the hang of it

Offline EEnotPizzaE

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »
not sure what all to put into the mixed ingredients calculator, other than the ingredients...

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
Amie,

I will use the two-day dough at Reply 20 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg59217.html#msg59217 to determine how to convert the 355.4 grams of flour in that recipe into a blend of Better for Bread flour and the Hodgson Mill vital wheat gluten (VWG), using the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/. That example should allow you to modify other dough formulations.

The Better for Bread flour is the same as the General Mills Harvest King flour in the top pull-down menu of the calculator. Its protein content is 12%. What we want to do is raise that protein content to 14.2%, which is the protein content of a typical high-gluten flour like the King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour. The Hodgson Mill VWG can be found in the bottom pull-down menu. For purposes of the tool, the target mass is 355.4 grams and the target % is 14.2%. Entering those values into the tool in the blocks below the lower pull-down menu and clicking on the background you should see 341.079 in the MassA box and 14.3201 in the MassB box. They are both in grams for the Better for Bread flour and the Hodgson Mill VWG, respectively. On the basis of one teaspoon of the Hodgson Mill VWG weighing 3 grams, 14.3201 grams of the Hodgson Mill VWG is equal to 4.77 teaspoons. That is a bit more than 4 3/4 teaspoons. That is what you would add to the 341.08 grams of Better for Bread flour (341 grams is close enough).

Have you been making the pizzas and, if so, has your son been accepting them?

Peter

Offline EEnotPizzaE

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »
Thanks so much Pete! I have been making them...he did okay with it for awhile, but then he would just look at the bottom and see the diamonds (from the screen) and wouldn't eat it. The bottoms look more like he is used to if I just use a crisper pan, so I will try that this time. I did make several pies last week for my Dad...he had several family members in town, so I made up a bunch of pizzas to save him some money...they loved them, which was great! I was just ready to try the vwg to see what difference it makes.

Thanks again for your help :)