Author Topic: I went to Pizzeria Bianco!  (Read 2413 times)

Offline addicted

I went to Pizzeria Bianco!
« on: March 13, 2005, 12:01:16 PM »
Well I was in phoenix this week on business and got out a little early on Thursday so I talked an associate into going there. We took a cab and arrived at the place. Needless to say it was packed. It is a very small place in an old Brick house. The hostess told us the wait was 2.5 hours but there was a beer and wine bar next door and they would come get us when a table was ready. So we went and drank beer for 2.5 hours and talked to people from all over the country who were there for the same reason we were, to really see if it was the best.The hostess came and got us and we walked in. At first I was a liitle concerned because the staff making the pizzas were fairly young and I have heard the pizza can be hit and miss depending who is making it. So we sit at the Bar and Low and Behold who walks in from the back?.........The man himself........Chris Bianco. We ordered a Margherita and the Wiseguy which was sausage and onions. Chris was making all the pies himself in this totally packed restaurant. The pies came out very quickly and were perfectly baked with a small amount of char. The fire backed crust had so much flavor and with the fresh ingredients it was just awesome.  My friend that went with me is not a pizza buff, but when he tasted he said had never tasted anything that good in his life. We inhaled the pizza and then I went up to the prepcounter told Chris it was the best and was so sincere in saying how much he apprecitated us coming in waiting so long for dinner. This was by far the best dining experience I have ever had.

This my sound corny, but he autographed my receipt and I will use it for my American Pie bookmark.
Well....okay,then.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Re: I went to Pizzeria Bianco!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 12:13:31 PM »
Addicted,
I bet you didn't have a digital camera to record the event. That's a shame I really wanted to see his masterpiece. Maybe next time. I get to Phoenix about once a year and I can't wait...
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline addicted

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 12:33:15 PM »
I wish I had a camera there, but  your pizzas are pretty close as to the slight char on the crust and the presentation. His oven is brick about six feet in diameter and say four feet high with a single metal flue. He builds the fire to the side in the oven.  I made a huge mistake in not asking what kind of wood he was using.
I havent been to New York but it was the best that I had ever had.
Well....okay,then.

Robert

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 07:55:28 PM »
I live in Phoenix and go to Bianco's as often as possible (though now with the 2-3 hour wait times it has gotten less frequent. I've never been there when Chris hasn't been making the pizzas. He used to do all of the prep and cooking himself, but now generally has an assistant or two back there helping out.

Also, if you like the pizzaria, you might want to try his lunch-only restaurant, called Pane Bianco. They're open Tuesday through Saturday, and serve up several different sandwich variations on a foccacia bread that is quite similar to his pizza dough.

pizzapan