Author Topic: Huge price differences in KA products  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Pizza!!

Huge price differences in KA products
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:19:54 AM »
So there are two differn't grocery store chains within a couple minutes of my house.  I've been buying KABF from one at $2.99/bag, which is  a pretty darn good price IMO.  I'm at the other grocery store looking around in the "natural" section for something else and find out that they carry KA products as well, at a price of $6.19/bag.   :o  I guess the moral of the story is shop around to get the best price on ingredients. 

Offline waynesize

Re: Huge price differences in KA products
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:14:02 PM »
Indeed.  I by my KA All Purpose at Wal-Mart for a little over $3/5lb.  The Kroger within sight on same road sells it for around $5/5lb.  Same goes with other ingredients that I use as well.  I can get exact same product for alot less by dirving 10 seconds down the road.  We have Wal-Mart, Kroger, and Food Lion all within 1/4 mile of each other.  I watch sale prices and buy at whichever store has the best deal.  And the difference in drive time is minimal.  Making great pizza, and saving "dough" at the same time ;D

Offline Pizza!!

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »
Wow, that's crazy because Kroger is where I get it for $2.99, which is a sale price, but i believe the regular price is still like $3.49, and it's been at $2.99 for the past couple months.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 12:38:28 PM »
That's interesting.  Kroger here in Salem, VA rarely beats Wal-Mart on most items.  Even the "sale" prices are often more than regular prices at Wal-Mart. (I wish the opposite were true.  I shop at Wal-Mart because I can't afford not to).

scott123

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »
I guess the moral of the story is shop around to get the best price on ingredients. 

I think the real moral of the story is to stopped being ripped off by KA and their marketing prowess and to buy something else  ;D

With the time you put in looking for a good deal on KA you could have found a bakery distributor where you could get flour in 50 lb bags that will perform just as good as KA (and most likely better, imo) for about $1.60 a 5 lb. bag equivalent

Offline Pizza!!

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 03:52:16 PM »
I think the real moral of the story is to stopped being ripped off by KA and their marketing prowess and to buy something else  ;D

With the time you put in looking for a good deal on KA you could have found a bakery distributor where you could get flour in 50 lb bags that will perform just as good as KA (and most likely better, imo) for about $1.60 a 5 lb. bag equivalent

I really don't see how I'm being ripped off.  I don't spend anytime looking for KA, I go to the grocery store less than a 1/2 mile from my house and I buy it, and at $2.99 it is cheaper than the Gold Medal and Pillsbury.  I 50 lb bag would probably last me a year-2 years.

Offline Billy Boy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:28:48 AM »
I understand all of your points. I just will NOT shop at WalMart!
No snobbery at play here either-can't afford to be snobby.
Anybody who knows anything about how the Wlton family conducts business will understand my point of view.
BB

PS- I hope you were speaking metaphorically when you suggested having a bag of flour for two years!

:chef:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:30:39 AM by Billy Boy »

pizzapan