Author Topic: Recent Posting Volume and Other Forum Matters  (Read 12319 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Recent Posting Volume and Other Forum Matters
« on: March 05, 2010, 12:29:58 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has noted, but recently we have been experiencing a significant uptick in posting volume. There have been several days in the past week where the number of new posts has exceeded 100 (the forum's list of recent posts cuts off at 100 so I can't tell the actual number). My practice as a Moderator is to look at every post. What I mainly look for is to see if posts are entered into the right places in the boards. I also look to see if the posts change the direction of threads or amount to hijacking, either intentional or innocently. Of course, I am also on the lookout for spam or attempts of members to slip in free advertising without becoming Supporting Members. Unlike other forums, such as the PMQ forum, our forum is based on an indexing system. That system is only as good as its integrity is maintained. If it is corrupted, then ultimately members may be forced to use the forum's search feature, and particularly the Advanced Search feature, to find what they are looking for. While many members use the search feature before asking for help, there are also many members who will not use that feature and instead just pose their questions to the membership, even if they have been answered countless times before. Admittedly, with the increasing popularity of the forum and the ever increasing numbers of posts on the forum, it is not always easy to find things as easily as we once could. Hence, the need to be sure that our indexing system is kept as pure and intact as possible.

I estimate that I now move about three or four posts daily that have been misfiled. I generally do this quietly behind the scenes. I used to send PMs to notify members of my actions but with the dramatic increase in membership and new posts, I had to discontinue that courtesy because I was spending far too much time on it. Sometimes, as a courtesy of our members, I will wait until a thread become less active before moving it so that continuity is maintained as much as possible.

Where most misfilings occur is in the "pizza making" boards and in the separate ingredients boards. Some members use the boards directed to the individual pizza styles, including the New York style, the Neapolitan style, the Chicago style, etc., as catchalls for anything pertaining to those styles. Those boards are intended for "making" the particular styles of pizzas, with a heavy emphasis on recipes and technique. By contrast, the ingredient boards are intended to embrace ingredients that are used in making the different styles of pizzas. Those boards are independent of pizza style. They exist in good measure such that the style boards don't become so long that using the indexing system becomes a real burden and a real chore on our members. The second major area of misfilings is filing posts on resources in the individual ingredients boards. Apparently, many of our members have not noticed that there is a Resources board where they can post on sources they have discovered for different pizza ingredients or where they can ask resource-specific questions.

Occasionally even I can't tell where a particular post best belongs. So, I just use my best judgment, knowing that I can move posts around again as a thread changes direction for some reason. But my mind is always on the indexing system and maintaining its integrity. That is also why I try to pay attention to changes in direction of threads and hijacking of threads. I will often split threads to separate topics that have materially changed direction, which can be a time-consuming and laborious task, but sometimes the threads can take on a direction that it is just about impossible to do a split. So, I ask that our members think about what they are posting to be sure that the posts are consistent with the tenor of the threads as originally started. If in doubt, I would rather the poster start a new thread.

Compliance with the above should help all of the Moderators, all of whom are volunteers and do the same kinds of things discussed above, do a better job moderating the forum, particularly as the membership rolls continue to expand and the volume of posts continue to expand along with the increased membership.

Peter

Offline Puzzolento

Re: Recent Posting Volume and Other Forum Matters
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 12:50:43 PM »
I think more people would see this if it were a global PM.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
Peter, as always, awesome job you and the other guys do. 11,000+ posts from yourself added to the several thousand posts of the other moderators says it all.
Great job guys,
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »
Our members may be interested in knowing that February was a blockbuster month for the forum, in just about all metrics that reflect the activity of the forum. For example, there were 3857 posts, 320 new members and 240 new topics. The 3857 posts is an all time record, and represents about a 48% increase on a year over year basis from last March when I started this thread. We would have easily surpassed 4000 posts if February had 30 or 31 days instead of 28 days. The forum would have also set all time records for new members and new topics on a 30/31-day basis, which were the periods when those records were set. February also set the record for posts in a single day, with 233 posts on February 14. The forum has been running big numbers for about a year, and especially since last August when we first crossed the 3000-post mark. The average monthly posts since that time is 3480. So, the growth of the forum is not a fluke.

For comparison purposes, I checked the numbers of posts at the PMQ Think Tank over a few recent periods. They have been running at around 120-130 posts a week. Last month, we exceeded that number on a daily basis. So, we are doing roughly seven times the volume of the PMQTT. Maybe the wide disparity reflects an increased interest in home pizza making and troubled times for professional pizza operators.

The dynamic growth of the forum is bound to offer up challenges to all of us. I personally will be adapting to the changes, including an expanded Moderator workload, by increasingly referring more and more of our members to the forum’s Advanced search feature (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=search;advanced) with respect to those topics on which I have personally posted or know have been covered by other members. That shouldn’t deter those members who are serious about their pizza making and are willing, as a result, “to work for food”. In fact, at the PMQTT, which is a chronologically based forum rather than one based on a topic index, as is our forum, the only viable option after about three days of posts is to use their search engine. The alternative would be to scroll page by page looking for answers (there are currently 224 pages). I think all members will do themselves a big favor by learning how to use our forum’s Advanced search feature rather than just asking the membership and hoping that some kind soul will come along and spare them some work. I use the forum’s Advanced search feature several times a day and couldn’t function without it.

To help the members, I have written up my best search tips at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3101.0.html.

Peter

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
Nice, thanks for putting that together, Peter.  :chef:
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 10:44:44 AM »
Peter, let me by you a drink!  You're an absolute Ankle, (leg-end)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »
At the risk of sounding like a jerk  (not my intention)I'd like to make a couple of suggestions to members/moderators. I don't know what if any issues Steve may have with traffic or space but when a thread is 20 pages and 5 of those pages are "nice job" or "great looking pie" it gets a little tedious. Don't get me wrong, compliments are great but so many do not really add to the discussion. However, if that's fine with everyone I'll deal with it. Also, threads get off topic and make them harder to follow. An example is here- http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13107.0.html -about half of these posts are unrelated to the topic. This also makes it tedious to follow.

It's great to see so many people posting here and sharing their experiences, but the above things take away from the enjoyment of the forum IMO. I do not expect mods to be able to keep up w the volume here, so to me it makes sense if membership helps out and practices some courtesy while posting as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. The above views are mine and may not reflect the views of pizzamaking.com, it's owners, affiliates, or subsidieries.  :angel:
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:10:05 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a jerk  (not my intention)I'd like to make a couple of suggestions to members/moderators. I don't know what if any issues Steve may have with traffic or space but when a thread is 20 pages and 5 of those pages are "nice job" or "great looking pie" it gets a little tedious. Don't get me wrong, compliments are great but so many do not really add to the discussion. However, if that's fine with everyone I'll deal with it. Also, threads get off topic and make them harder to follow. An example is here- http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13107.0.html -about half of these posts are unrelated to the topic. This also makes it tedious to follow.

It's great to see so many people posting here and sharing their experiences, but the above things take away from the enjoyment of the forum IMO. I do not expect mods to be able to keep up w the volume here, so to me it makes sense if membership helps out and practices some courtesy while posting as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. The above views are mine and may not reflect the views of pizzamaking.com, it's owners, affiliates, or subsidieries.  :angel:

I think I hijacked that above topic and it wasnt my intention, its just thoughts and questions pop into my head and I aske them right away and i guess I should start a new topic but the flow of the posts sometimes just sway off the original topic. I will try to do better next time.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:31:09 PM »
Topics going off topic.. just the nature of every forum out there.   Good job to those who donate their time.  (whoops, this means I'm making the thread tedious  :D )

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:36:18 PM »
Jeff,

The Moderators do split topics when a major change of direction occurs, but the changes aren't always detected and, sometimes, when they are, it is too late and the threads are all intertwined to the point where the posts can't be separated and recombined without the threads losing continuity and becoming an unintelligible jumble. Also, it can take a lot of time to change the topic headings, set up new threads, and move the posts into the right threads. There are also some members who are more prone to changing direction in threads or hijacking threads than others or becoming easily distracted into going with the new direction. I watch them more closely than others but I can't be on their tail all of the time waiting for something to happen.

Praise, accolades and attaboys go with the territory and, for some, such as newbies, it perhaps means more than for our more experienced members. Where I have detected a concern is the lack of feedback. There are many members who do a lot of good work but never know whether anyone benefited from it. It might be a recipe, or technique, some research, an experiment, or whatever. It is not knowing that is frustrating. I told another member recently on this subject that I just pretend that I am a teacher in the classroom or an athlete on the playing field before spectators in the stands and I just do my job and don't expect any reaction. I figure that someone out there somewhere as part of a large silent majority is getting value out of what I do on the forum. They may be applauding and high-fiving and yahooing in front of their computer screens, but I just don't know it. Or maybe they are cursing me out  :-D.

Peter

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:36:51 PM »
Understood Peter, and these were just a couple observations as the community here gets bigger. You guys do a tremendous job and I have only cursed you out once. Bill/SFNM on the other hand... jk :P

Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »
I have only cursed you out once. Bill/SFNM on the other hand... jk :P

Yeah, that's what I get for playing bad cop to Peter's good cop.  :)

Seriously, I would not underestimate the value of posts without much information in building the strong social fabric here; that goes a long way into making this such a friendly place.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 10:25:49 AM »
For those who are interested, March was another strong month for the forum, with three new records: 270 New Topics, 4055 New Posts (the first time we have cracked the 4000 mark), and 471 New Members. Once March Madness is past, and the weather starts to turn warmer, it is quite possible that the forum activity will subside somewhat.

Peter

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 12:28:39 PM »
For those who are interested, March was another strong month for the forum, with three new records: 270 New Topics, 4055 New Posts (the first time we have cracked the 4000 mark), and 471 New Members. Once March Madness is past, and the weather starts to turn warmer, it is quite possible that the forum activity will subside somewhat.

Peter

Yes, summers are slower... I guess nobody wants to heat up their ovens/kitchens when it's hot outside!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 01:53:33 PM »
in response to the new members joining, would a new sub-forum or child board of general pizza making, called 'new to pizza' or something along those lines, be out of the question?   
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »
in response to the new members joining, would a new sub-forum or child board of general pizza making, called 'new to pizza' or something along those lines, be out of the question?   

How would this differ from the existing "Newbie Topics" board?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,39.0.html

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 03:09:39 AM »
How would this differ from the existing "Newbie Topics" board?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,39.0.html

lol bill i never noticed.   but thanks
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 07:04:10 AM »
For those interested in forum statistics, the month of August (2012) was a blockbuster month for the forum, with several new records being set.

First, on August 20, we passed the 300 new posts mark (303 posts) for the first time in the history of the forum. On August 30, there was a second day with more than 300 new posts (319 new posts). As good as those numbers are, on August 22, we blew through the 300 new post barrier and saw 428 new posts. There has never been a 400+ day before. The total for the month of August was 7491 new posts, also a new record. The previous record was 5545 new posts, which was set in April of this year. Also, for the first time in the history of the forum there were 23 consecutive days (the last 23 days of the month) of more than 200 new posts. The average over the 23 days was 270 posts.

Although it is not fair to compare our forum with the PMQ Think Tank forum, because of its different makeup (mostly professionals) and its lack of a social component, I did take a look at the posting volume at the PMQTT. What I found is that a typical weekly volume is around 90 new posts. It takes only a fraction of one day on our forum to reach than number.

Normally, one might not expect to see numbers like those noted above for a hot summer month like August where people are less inclined to make pizzas. So, it will be interesting to see if those numbers carry into the fall when members get back to making pizzas on a more regular basis. However, the growth of the forum in terms of new posts is unmistakable. The numbers have been trending up significantly for the last few years. Out of curiosity, I looked at the numbers for the month of August, 2004, which was the month I joined the forum, and there were a total of 565 new posts, with the with the average daily volume being 18 new posts.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:25:21 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 07:25:46 AM »
It's good to know that the forum is growing and is extremely active. Makes me proud to be a member here.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 02:36:13 PM »
Peter,

It is a good thing that the forum is growing so much and there are more posts. 

I am curious what is going to happen when the posts get to be too many posts for the moderators to look at and keep them all in the right places where they should be?  Did Steve ever plan for that?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!