Author Topic: Recent Posting Volume and Other Forum Matters  (Read 11662 times)

scott123

Re: Recent Posting Volume and Other Forum Matters
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »
Over "there", it seems to strike me that there is no real continuum of thought (or responsibility)...so you end up with a lot of (but not all)  "posers" trying to interject their one second sound bite of fame.

The nature of Slice comments is heavily influenced by the blog format.  In a blog, there is a very well established hierarchy.  You've got the author, in a nice big, empowering font, and, below that, you've got tiny little fonted comments from the plebes.  "What we say matters, what you say, eh, not so much."  Occasionally you'll find authors/articles worthy of this pedestal, but not always.

Here, it's egalitarian.  All non staff are on exactly the same playing field.  My font is the same as your font.  Everyone, even the new person that shows up yesterday, has a chance to shine.  There is no pecking order here, other than the respect that's attained from contribution- and everyone has that opportunity.

Without a more established hierarchy, important information can get a bit buried, but it's a price you pay for equality, and with good googling skills, is not really that much of a price at all.

This egalitarian aspect is why I have 3700 posts here and less than 150 on Slice.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
Jus stick 'em in a West bound bus is what I always say..... ::)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:43:58 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2012, 11:39:13 PM »
I think a small reason for the increased traffic is this:  When a newbie joins and post a genuine problem, they get some pretty dam good free help.  If they are willing to continue to 'work for their food' there is a dang fine chance they will step up their pizza game.  If they continue to post and learn, as many have done; that increases traffic.  As has been mentioned, this is a very safe place to step into 'the pizza game'.  Looking back at many of my first post, I approached the forum in a very 'stupid' way.  I think that newbies now are given a wider berth to be 'stupid', but still come away with very valuable suggestions and guidance.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

cornicione54

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2012, 11:47:24 PM »
I've never really understood the whole "slice" vs pizzamaking comparison . The two are completely different websites serving two different purposes/perspectives. Both are valuable in their own way.
What I noticed recently was an incident where someone who frequents both sites posted comments on Slice and then start up thread here about how they "blasted" Slice. This, somewhat predictably, led to negative reactions on both sites.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »
I've never really understood the whole "slice" vs pizzamaking comparison . The two are completely different websites serving two different purposes/perspectives. Both are valuable in their own way.
What I noticed recently was an incident where someone who frequents both sites posted comments on Slice and then start up thread here about how they "blasted" Slice. This, somewhat predictably, led to negative reactions on both sites.
And that's how things tend to go like that. We live an learn and try to keep a positive attitude is these days an times..right cornicione?  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

buceriasdon

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
Peter you wrote in August 26, 2012 : I suggest that new members pose their questions and requests for help in the main part of the forum rather than in their introductory posts, which are best reserved for introducing the members to the the rest of the membership.
In all actuality we both have been doing that for a longer period of time. Whether you or I reply with a similar message I have yet to see that happen. Over the summer I can't recall a single instance where people have followed that recommendation. Most recent memory was a request for a Cassano's clone, not one follow up was ever posted to the general boards that I know of. Just the way it goes.........
Regards, Don

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »
Peter you wrote in August 26, 2012 : I suggest that new members pose their questions and requests for help in the main part of the forum rather than in their introductory posts, which are best reserved for introducing the members to the the rest of the membership.
In all actuality we both have been doing that for a longer period of time. Whether you or I reply with a similar message I have yet to see that happen. Over the summer I can't recall a single instance where people have followed that recommendation. Most recent memory was a request for a Cassano's clone, not one follow up was ever posted to the general boards that I know of. Just the way it goes.........
Regards, Don

Don,

As a Moderator who looks at all new posts, I am pretty certain that I have seen some new members post in the main part of the forum after being invited to do so. But, the reality is that there are a lot of new members who do not wish to leave the introductory posts for any reason. They may actually be hoping that someone helps them without having to leave their introductory posts, which would require a commitment on their part. Unfortunately, we have some of our regular members who choose on their own initiative to engage new members in their introductory posts, which often leads to threads that include useful information that will end up being buried in the threads and not seen by anyone later on except as the result of conducting a search. I'd rather have that information in the proper place in the forum's indexing system.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »
Peter, In the future I will keep better notes on those intro posts that I respond to so as not to rely on memory.

However I've located last month's posts to Intro that I posted to recommending reposting elsewhere.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20704.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20546.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20440.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20306.0.html
By going to their profile I could see none reposted.
Don
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:55:39 AM by buceriasdon »

buceriasdon

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2012, 08:12:18 AM »
 Not one to steal the show Peter  :D, two who did not repost after your recommendation:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20433.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20185.0.html
Don
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:24:03 AM by buceriasdon »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2012, 09:03:44 AM »
Don,

You will find several new members who also decided not to post in the main part of the forum after I suggested that they do so. I did a quick search this morning and found about five more that fell into the same category.

But here are a few examples of members who did post outside of their introductory posts, even if they did not stick around for long:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20044.msg196781.html#msg196781

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19972.msg195895.html#msg195895

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20516.msg202563.html#msg202563

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16448.msg160646/topicseen.html#msg160646

As you can see from the above examples, and also if you scan the list of new members posting in the New Forum Members board, the number of new members who graduate from their introductory posts into the main forum is minuscule. That is perhaps why we do not have an official welcoming committee.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2012, 09:24:42 AM »
Peter, look in the rear-view mirror and look who's tailgating your hinder and getting ready to pass you, like you don't know anyway. Norma's going to run you down and in 3 years yet, PLUS a blog :-D I don't know, is anyone closer than her?? My point is, those that are here and stayed, have, do, and will contribute to this site a lot and are VERY generous with their knowledge of pizza and beyond. To the credit of this site unlike some others, it welcomes some other types of cooking and misc stuff and encourages involvement rather than discourage because it is not the 'THEME' of the site. You and others do a great job moving threads to the appropriate category with explanation and no sarcasm and keeps folks here. GREAT JOB by all and I think in short time Norma's going to be waving you over and honking her horn :P

Jon

Pete-zza
Custom Title:    Supporting Member
Position:    Global Moderator
Date Registered:    August 06, 2004, 08:50:08 AM

norma427
Position:    Member 1
Date Registered:    February 21, 2009, 01:19:12 AM
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2012, 09:36:12 AM »
PS....Norma you are AMAZING, where do you find the time between work, blog and here??? Whatever drug, diet, program, guru you're on I want some of that :-D

Jon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:44 AM »
Peter, look in the rear-view mirror and look who's tailgating your hinder and getting ready to pass you, like you don't know anyway. Norma's going to run you down and in 3 years

960 days, 2 hours, and 24 minutes at this rate.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »
What a geek :P

Jon

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2012, 09:55:10 AM »
Jon,

Yes, I have noticed Norma approaching in the rear view mirror. At one point, for laughs, I was even going to do some calculations, based on current posting volumes, as to when she would actually pass me, just as Craig did. However, the metric that I use is not numbers of posts, but rather the total number of words in all of the posts :-D.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2012, 09:57:57 AM »

Judging from the debate between canned and fresh mushrooms that Craig linked to and the fact the many prefer canned mushrooms there, it's obvious to me they don't know pizza.   :-D.  JK.  

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2012, 10:05:55 AM »
Jon,

Yes, I have noticed Norma approaching in the rear view mirror. At one point, for laughs, I was even going to do some calculations, based on current posting volumes, as to when she would actually pass me, just as Craig did. However, the metric that I use is not numbers of posts, but rather the total number of words in all of the posts :-D.

Peter

Wellll....I guess you get it on words posted, just a guess mind you. You'll have to geek that one out for us. I'm thinking you got a few thousand or so more than the venerable Norma logged in here :)

Jon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »
What a geek :P

Jon

But how many people do you know that will geek out on the numbers and hunt wild hogs to make their own sausage, make sushi on the transom from a fresh caught tuna, butcher a gar with a chainsaw and hatchet then smoke its loins, bake a 60 second pie, ...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »
You got me there sister :-D Like you said earlier, we gotta hook up sometime to eat and talk sh!!! I don't think there's many things we couldn't find common ground on with either >:D

Jon

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
PS....Norma you are AMAZING, where do you find the time between work, blog and here??? Whatever drug, diet, program, guru you're on I want some of that :-D

Jon

Jon,

A lot of my posts are pictures.  I do spend way too much time on the forum, however.  I only work part of two days at market (cleaning, stocking stuff, preparing dough and other stuff).  Tuesday I am not on the forum that much when I am at market.  I usually never use my cell to check what is going on forum while I am at work.  I am not on any special diet, drugs, or any regular exercise program.  I do walk though.  I donít eat a lot at one time, unless it is pizza.   

You and a lot of other members have full-time jobs, so it would be hard for you or other members to be on the forum as much as I am. 

Peterís posts have much more value than my posts do, in addition to him explaining everything over and over again for almost any member.  He really gets into the nitty-gritty of all what goes on in any pizza dough, while I donít have all of that knowledge.   

At Reply 50 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8341.msg74558.html#msg74558 Peter said to me, ďThat is also the time that they leave our forum never to return.Ē  I fooled Peter and never left.  :-D I have been bugging Peter ever since with all my experiments and asking questions.  My pizzas in my first thread are also sick looking and I had all the problems that newbies do.  :-[

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan