Author Topic: Recent Posting Volume and Other Forum Matters  (Read 12174 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Recent Posting Volume and Other Forum Matters
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »
I wonder how long it will take me to catch up with the heavy hitters  ???
 Or would a better question be....wonder how long I will be allowed to try.... :'(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »
I wonder how long it will take me to catch up with the heavy hitters  ???

At the rate you're going, about another week and a half... :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »
At the rate you're going, about another week and a half... :-D
8)   chalk up one more!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Um, did my post get deleted?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »
I heard you got banned... :-D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
Cuz, y'know, having my harmless post deleted kinda makes me feel unwelcome. And if my participation is unwanted or unappreciated, I don't know why I should continue participating.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »

I did not delete the post. Instead, I moved it to the Moderator board. Steve can restore it to the thread if he so chooses.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Cuz, y'know, having my harmless post deleted kinda makes me feel unwelcome. And if my participation is unwanted or unappreciated, I don't know why I should continue participating.

Ryan,

With all due respect, I do not deem any post that puts another member in a bad light to be harmless. What you have been doing on a positive and constructive basis is welcome, and has been noted with appreciation by many of the members.

I often invite members who do not take kindly to something I have done to report my actions to Steve if they so wish. You are extended a similar invitation.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »
I thought you were making a joke.... ???

buceriasdon

« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
Jeff, I'm in total agreement however the majority of members, seem to prefer the opposite. Once I see a topic, like this one, going the direction it is, I just stop reading it, I don't see the point any longer. I do have one quick followup reply to Peter.
Don

At the risk of sounding like a jerk  (not my intention)I'd like to make a couple of suggestions to members/moderators. I don't know what if any issues Steve may have with traffic or space but when a thread is 20 pages and 5 of those pages are "nice job" or "great looking pie" it gets a little tedious. Don't get me wrong, compliments are great but so many do not really add to the discussion. However, if that's fine with everyone I'll deal with it. Also, threads get off topic and make them harder to follow. An example is here- http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13107.0.html -about half of these posts are unrelated to the topic. This also makes it tedious to follow.

It's great to see so many people posting here and sharing their experiences, but the above things take away from the enjoyment of the forum IMO. I do not expect mods to be able to keep up w the volume here, so to me it makes sense if membership helps out and practices some courtesy while posting as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. The above views are mine and may not reflect the views of pizzamaking.com, it's owners, affiliates, or subsidieries.  :angel:

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »

That particular post came across as hurtful, not harmless, when I read it. Even if Bob saw it as a joke, other might not. I would encourage everyone to take an extra second before hitting the Post button and think about how other people might read what you are writing vs. what you are intending to say.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2012, 11:38:14 AM »
With all due respect, I do not deem any post that puts another member in a bad light to be harmless.

So I guess if I had just put a smiley face at the end of it, it would have been all fine?

Bob, I was poking fun at you in my post of about ten words, almost exactly how Craig did. I'm sure it probably would have hurt your feelings because, as you know, there's a ton of friction between the two of us.

There's no point in putting it back up now.

buceriasdon

« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
Peter, I hope you understand I will continue to suggest to new members that they take their questions to the appropriate topic. I was simply pointing out the chances of that happening are slim. Thank you.
Don

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
Jeff, I'm in total agreement however the majority of members, seem to prefer the opposite. Once I see a topic, like this one, going the direction it is, I just stop reading it, I don't see the point any longer. I do have one quick followup reply to Peter.
Don

This is a social medium....nature of the beast, no?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
So I guess if I had just put a smiley face at the end of it, it would have been all fine?

Bob, I was poking fun at you in my post of about ten words, almost exactly how Craig did.

With all due respect, that post was nothing like mine, smily face or no smily face.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »

Bob, I was poking fun at you in my post of about ten words, almost exactly how Craig did. I'm sure it probably would have hurt your feelings because, as you know, there's a ton of friction between the two of us.

There's no point in putting it back up now.
It's all good...... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :-*

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »
That particular post came across as hurtful, not harmless, when I read it. Even if Bob saw it as a joke, other might not. I would encourage everyone to take an extra second before hitting the Post button and think about how other people might read what you are writing vs. what you are intending to say.
That is good advice Craig....something that I, myself, have recently started paying more attention to. Not everybody always "gets it".

Hey Crimson Blue,
You didn't go an call me a Dufus again I hope.... :-D

buceriasdon

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »
Peter said in his original post asking for assistance from membership here: "That is also why I try to pay attention to changes in direction of threads and hijacking of threads." All of which has occurred on this thread in spades. I don't think it's asking too much of members to allow some us who don't like the way a thread is going to to voice our concerns and if needed for Moderators to step in and get the thread back on topic, however I bow to the majority, it's your sandbox, but the irony in this instance is not lost on me.
Respectfully, Don

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2012, 12:22:14 PM »
One of the things I have learned over the years is that it is hard to convey humor on a forum. Even when emoticons are used, they can be misinterpreted. For example, a smiley used with the right words might be interpreted as sarcasm or a dig or an insult. Also, some members take what is said literally. For example, I like to tease Norma. However, I have learned that she often takes what I intended as humor as something serious, and her replies show that. I can see how that can happen because I use very few emoticons. For me, it is pretty much the smiley and laughing emoticons. And I only use them when I am actually smiling or laughing. Even then I will sometimes not use those emoticons when I am saying something intended to be tongue-in-cheek or an attempt at wry humor. There are times, even days later, that I will go back and delete a post I entered when, after thinking about it, I concluded that it could have been misinterpreted by the member to whom it was intended, maybe in a hurtful way.

Peter

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
One of the things I have learned over the years is that it is hard to convey humor on a forum. Even when emoticons are used, they can be misinterpreted. For example, a smiley used with the right words might be interpreted as sarcasm or a dig or an insult. Also, some members take what is said literally. For example, I like to tease Norma. However, I have learned that she often takes what I intended as humor as something serious, and her replies show that. I can see how that can happen because I use very few emoticons. For me, it is pretty much the smiley and laughing emoticons. And I only use them when I am actually smiling or laughing. Even then I will sometimes not use those emoticons when I am saying something intended to be tongue-in-cheek or an attempt at wry humor. There are times, even days later, that I will go back and delete a post I entered when, after thinking about it, I concluded that it could have been misinterpreted by the member to whom it was intended, maybe in a hurtful way.

Peter

I could make a joke about how dry your sense of humor is, but given the current circumstances maybe I shouldn't. *no emoticon*

I love pizzamaking even though I don't participate as much I check the site daily and tell others about it whenever I can. My post Don quoted up thread still applies though I have gotten more used to it. The deep dives on particular styles etc are great reads if a bit harder to navigate. People here do some very cool stuff.

The troubling part now is the amount of insults and flaming that goes on. I suppose that may come w the growth of the forum, but it has been something that always set PM apart from other places. Peter and Bill can only do so much, so at some point it comes to ownership or members to make a change if that's what they want.

If you've read many of my posts you know that I enjoy sarcasm and debate. I also know I can fire off something too quickly. I  try to go back and apologize and or delete the comment but don't always. I'll be more mindful in the future.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.