Author Topic: Steve's 24hr. rise time pizza with pix  (Read 2289 times)

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Steve's 24hr. rise time pizza with pix
« on: March 13, 2005, 12:05:28 PM »
Here's an experimental pizza using Steve's 24 hr. rise time suggestion to achieve a crispy crackery crust. Risen at 72 degrees in a sealed un-oiled 1 gal. ziplock bag with offgassing gasses removed periodically throughout the rising process.

Here's what was observed:
Crust was indeed crispier than my 24 hr. refrig. risen ones.
Crust had a fermented taste.
Crust had a fermented smell when removed from plastic bag this am. (Reminded me of when my dad would rack wine in the basement) :)
Cooking time was a little longer than the usual 6-8 mins. More like 10 mins. at 550 degrees. Crust wasn't as browned as much as my normal pies.
Crust was the crispiest I've ever had but fermented taste detracted from what was gained in crispyness.
When the dough had finished rising it had more entrapped gasses and largest volume I've ever experienced.

Overall impression:
Pie was okay in the taste department.  Crispyness was fantastic.  Dough was a little stubborn to work with.  Had to do the "pinch it together and fold it over" trick to cover up some holes that developed while working this dough. Dough had a good resistance to seeping in of sauce at sauce/dough interface.

I tried a new bottled sauce and went with a motz/provo blend. (Ran out of Grande and no time to travel 20 miles to get some this wk.end).

The sauce I tried as an experiment is a keeper. It has a home made taste about it without crossing over  into the spaghetti sauce taste zone, which is common for pre-made sauces. 

Next weekend it will be back to the regular dough (unless Steve or Pete or PF can get me squared away on the fermentation issue). I dunno, maybe fermentation taste is desirable in some areas?  The wife didn't mind it at all btw.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 12:28:05 PM by bortz »

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Re: Steve's 24hr. rise time pizza with pix
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 06:53:23 AM »
 ::)   Drool:)::::::::
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 07:20:45 AM »
Hmmm... I kinda like the fermented taste!  ;)

Nice photos and commentary!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 08:07:50 AM »
Great looking photos, I like the measuring tape you use, gives me that "official" feeling  ;D

I've never tried ths dough, but it looks interesting.  I also like a taste of fermentation going on from time to time
in a dough, but I"m wondering how much you detected.  I've never done a dough 72 hours before, but I may try this, this week.

So that would mean making a dough Wed night if I wanted to use it on Friday night I think... something I should keep in mind.

anyway thanks for posting, it never ceases to amazing me - the power that images have.

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 08:34:06 AM »
Bortz,
Nice!

It looks a little blonde compared to your previous efforts. Looks to me that the yeast ate all the available sugar with such a long counter rise and may have gone a little slack. I am a fan of a cold rise with about a one hour counter rise before forming the skin. I never get holes and browning isn't an issue. The crispiness you achieved was no doubt from the extended cook time trying to get a browned crust.

Go back to your "old reliable" recipe and cook it for a minute or so longer and you will achieve the same level of crisp. 
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 10:02:36 AM »
From looking at your bag of dough picture, I would say you used to much water.  That might account for an excessive yeasty taste.  I would describe the taste I get from using Steve's 24 hour rise  using DKM's recipe as a very very mild beer taste that compliments the cheese and other toppings.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 11:48:46 AM »
I would tend to agree with pft, and Randy may also be right. It looks like you may have used a lot of yeast (because of the large volume expansion of the dough) relative to the amount of available sugar (added or from conversion of starch), causing the yeast to run out of sugar. In such a case, the dough will be prone to tearing and the crust won't brown as much (not enough sugar) and will take longer to bake than usual to get more browning. It's hard to get any dough to withstand 24 hours of room temperature rising (particularly above 70 degrees), and especially if you are using a lot of yeast. And too much water will expedite the process. The smell you detected may have been a combination of large amounts of yeast and fermentation by-products. Do you recall how much yeast you actually used?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 12:26:03 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 11:24:04 AM »
Thanks for the comments and input guys.
The flour used was 3 1/2 cups with 4 tsp. sugar and 1 1/2  tsp. ADY.
I can't recall the hydration level. I'm at work and don't have the recipe memorized.  :)