Author Topic: Caputo 00 Flour....confused  (Read 3910 times)

Offline tzoavva

Caputo 00 Flour....confused
« on: March 06, 2010, 06:14:38 PM »
OK so I am totally confused between the types of Caputo OO Flour that are out there......so if anyone can clarify that would be great

See below First pic of Antimo Caputo The Chef's Flour tipo "00" that I bought today in DC in an Italian Shop called Litteris (http://www.litteris.com/)

So my question is the flour that I bought the same as the second (another small bag) and third (large 55lb blue bag) or not.  And if not does anyone know the difference.  I keep hearing/reading about Caputo 00 Flour for pizza and I am not sure which one I should be buying.  Regardless I bought it now and will test it out no harm in using new/different flours to see the difference in the pizza dough but wanted to clear things up.

Joanna

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Caputo 00 Flour....confused
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »
There are many posts on this topic do  search on Caputo and do some reading. I am sure based on the many readings on this forum #1 and #3 yes, are the same flour. They just packaged differently for the small Italian import specialty shop where you bought it.
John
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:15:07 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:44:47 AM »
OK so I am totally confused between the types of Caputo OO Flour that are out there......so if anyone can clarify that would be great

See below First pic of Antimo Caputo The Chef's Flour tipo "00" that I bought today in DC in an Italian Shop called Litteris (http://www.litteris.com/)

So my question is the flour that I bought the same as the second (another small bag) and third (large 55lb blue bag) or not.  And if not does anyone know the difference.  I keep hearing/reading about Caputo 00 Flour for pizza and I am not sure which one I should be buying.  Regardless I bought it now and will test it out no harm in using new/different flours to see the difference in the pizza dough but wanted to clear things up.

Joanna

Joanna,
#1 & 2 are the same flour (#1 is the new packaging & #2 is the original packaging); #3 is different.
#1 & 2 are good for pizza as well as pastry; the latter is for classical Neapolitan pizza dough & what is used by Neapolitan Pizzeria's.  To confuse things even further, #1 & 2 are also available in a 10kg bag labelled "Pizzaiuolo" even though it's labelled "Chef's Flour" in the 1kg bags.

Matt

Matt
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:46:57 AM by Matthew »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:38 AM »
Very confusing, but if I understood from this old thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7191.msg62063.html#msg62063

that they are all the same product.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:50:48 AM »
Very confusing, but if I understood from this old thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7191.msg62063.html#msg62063

that they are all the same product.

Very confusing indeed.  I hadn't seen the thread linked above but I guess Fred knows best.  If he says it's the same......then I guess it's the same.  Caputo should clarify that on their website because it seems to be confusing the masses.  Their website shows that the "Chef's flour" is in available in 10kg bags; if it is strictly for marketing purposes, then they should remove it from their website.

Matt

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:01:01 AM »
Someone probably mistakenly ordered a million red bags and they had to find a way to use them.  :)

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 08:18:45 AM »
Someone probably mistakenly ordered a million red bags and they had to find a way to use them.  :)

You're probably right! ;D

Offline tzoavva

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
Thanks Bill for the link to the other thread I had not seen that one. 

This morning I was adamant to get to the bottom of this  ??? so was looking at the compnay website (http://www.molinocaputo.it/) to see what I could come up with.  Oddly enough I agree there website is so confusing.  I had assumed I had figured out the mix-up (prior to reading your response).  Their website gives the impression that the two smaller red bags (1kg and 10Kg) are the same with the 25Kg Red Rinforzato bag to be used ideally for long ferm of pizza (and other stuff) and that their large blue 25Kg Pizzeria which would be ideal for Neapolitan pizzas.  Again this was my assumption prior to reading the other link posted above because the three bags all indicated "long leavening"

I noticed on that link that one user claimed pizzas made with the small red were different then the Blue 15Kg Pizzeria brand.  Has anyone else used both  side by side to compare them? I guess I am wondering why Penmac is selling both the 1kg (2.2lbs) bag and repackaged 5lbs if it is the same....I guess price may be a factor for someone wanting more and not wanting to buy the 25Kg size.

By the way here are the pics I also pulled from the Caputo website that confused me even more this morning...guess I should have had my morning cup of joe before surfing for the answer  :-D  By the way the fourth picture below even though it is a blue bag I stuck it on here so folks are aware there is a small 1Kg blue bags ideal for Pastry

Hope I didn't confuse folks any more...somewhere deep inside I am still not 100% sure...guess I have to try it for myself to see.  I wish Caputo would fix their website in such a way to include the Nutritional info on each of their products to help others do the comparison for themselves.  I think also resellers may be capitalizing on this confusion by repackaging things or even selling some of the other Caputo products to others that may not be as knowledgeable unless they actually go out and do extensive research for themselves.

Joanna

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:39:51 PM »
Whew, Knew I saw it somewhere  ???
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 11:38:39 PM »
Has anyone tried the Caputo "fioreglut" (gluten-free) flour listed on the Caputo website?? Is it decent for pizza? is it available in the USA?

We have an abnormally high incidence of people in my area that suffer from Celiac disease (gluten allergy) We are already considered a "preferred provider" by the local Celiac support group because most of our BBQ products are gluten-free, and if we could produce an edible gluten-free pizza, we would be seen as a hero's!
Then offering that same edible gluten-free pizza, but baked in a WFO would elevate us to rockstar status among our customers with Celiac's disease!!!
This would be great if the stuff works, and it is available.

Sorry for the off-topic stray, but I got to know. If anyone can comment on my questions, Please PM me to keep this thread on track.
Thanx,
G-R

A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »
The Red and Blue are different.
The Blue is "softer" .
I also believe that the Red holds up better under high heat than the Blue

I use both..80% Red 20 % Blue

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »
The Red and Blue are different.
The Blue is "softer" .
I also believe that the Red holds up better under high heat than the Blue

I use both..80% Red 20 % Blue

Which "Red" are you referring to?

Peter

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 10:39:15 AM »
Red bag # 1
I've not seen larger bag # 2, but appears to be the same as # 1

Offline tzoavva

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »
???
hmm so if you use the red small bag and you find it different then the blue bag my assumption the large blue bag.  I am really starting to think 1 may actually be the same with the large red bag #3 and not #4...which would make sense what what is described on their website....that would also explain why www.pennmac.com sells a 5lb repackaged bag of the 55lbs Pizzaria Blue bag.

hmm OK so I sent them an email to get clarification...lets see if they respond... and we can get to the bottom of this weird mystery.

Joanna

pizzapan