Author Topic: GF Egg Free, Yeast Free, Dairy Free Crust recipe?  (Read 6780 times)

Offline gfpizzagirl

GF Egg Free, Yeast Free, Dairy Free Crust recipe?
« on: March 06, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »
So I know this may be a stretch, but I have a dear friend who is allergic to wheat, eggs, dairy, and yeast (yes, she is quite frustrated by it!). She loves, loves, loves, pizza, but unfortunately we've yet to make a dough that both tastes good and has a good consistency. I have tried all sorts of things, ener-g egg replacer, coconut milk, etc. etc. I had some luck with the tapioca based mix made by Chebe, but it turns out much better with eggs, and even that doesn't quite taste like pizza we used to enjoy.

Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it! We're ready to give up pizza completely :(

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: GF Egg Free, Yeast Free, Dairy Free Crust recipe?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
Gosh, yes, I can understand how your friend would feel frustrated. 

However, tell your friend not to despair!  If I've learned one thing over the years, it's that good pizza can be made with nothing but flour, water, and salt.  Yeast is preferable, but not essential.

Remember that all a pizza crust needs to do, in its short life, is hold the cheese and sauce.  That's its sole raison d'etre ;)  These humongous recipes that call for 15,000 ingredients are just there because they CAN call for that many ingredients, not because they HAVE to have that many ingredients.

Now, all that being said, I don't have a recipe right off the top of my head that fits your friend's requirements.  But, I'll have a quick look around, and also maybe someone else will eventually chime in as well.  Don't worry, we will find something--there is no reason anyone should EVER have to give up pizza! ;)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »
Let me add one caveat/disclaimer--if you're expecting any kind of GF pizza to taste very similar to a regular pizza, it's just not going to happen.  I make GF pizzas from Glutino's pizza mix, and also have tasted some awesome pizzas using crusts made by Still Riding company, and also Mozzarelli's in NYC....even those, as good as they were, were not like real gluteny pizza.  But that doesn't mean we can't find something that will at least taste "decent".  My only criteria for gluten-free pizza at this point is, "Would I want to eat this again?" lol

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »
One last question--would a recipe that contains one egg white be no good?  Or is that egg allergy "no egg whatsoever"?

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:54:19 PM »
OK--I found a recipe for GF yeast-free/egg-free/dairy-free tortillas, which looks very similar to a tortilla recipe I use.  If you make the tortillas very round, you should be able to use them as "platforms" for making pizzas.  It might take a little experimentation to get the baking procedure down pat when making your pizzas with these--the trick will be to find the correct oven temperature and rack height in order to lightly brown the bottom crust while completely cooking the cheese/sauce on top.  However, I'm sure with a little experimentation, it can be done.

Here's the link:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100216095020AAJkVd7

Here's the relevant bit from that link:

Tortillas (Gluten-Free)

Here is the gluten free flour tortilla recipe that I want to eventually use with an electric tortilla press. Thanks to those list members that looked around for one for me in their areas. Currently Im waiting to get one shipped! This recipe is from the Denver Metro/CSA Chapter:

Basic Tortilla Mix:

cup cornstarch
cup tapioca flour
cup potato starch flour
cup white rice flour
cup brown rice flour
1 teaspoon salt
1- teaspoon xanthan gum
1 generous teaspoon baking powder
1- Tablespoon vegetable oil
cup water or more as needed

Measure all dry ingredients in a sealed container and shake to mix. Add oil and water to mix. Let the dough rest 10 minutes for easier handling. Divide dough and roll into 10 to 12 balls. Flatten a ball slightly and place in the press and follow the press instructions. This recipe says to cook 30 seconds on each side, but you need to check and see if your press cooks on both sides at once.

HINTS:
It is suggested that you cook all the tortillas first and STACK them (and perhaps cover with a moist towel) so that they steam up a little and soften, otherwise they come out of the press sort of dry. Use the moistened flour immediately (can make the dry ingredients ahead of time). The recipe doubles well. If the tortillas have been refrigerated you should re-heat them before eating. Should roll tortillas (if desired) while they are warm and pliable. Can use two as bread for sandwiches. Also can use as pizzas or dessert crepes with fruit filling, etc.

I know it's not an ideal solution, but it's a good first start, I think.  A lot of work with GF recipes, as you probably already know, is just experimenting to modify something so that it works for you.

Offline mandyspizza

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »
You still have to be careful with this new found recipe...since baking soda can contain gluten and there are allergies to corn.  It took my wife and I 1.5 years to perfect the ingredient portioning in our Gluten/Wheat-free, egg, soy, dairy (not yeast free, but there is GF yeast)  Since finally biting the bullet two months ago to start selling our Allergen Free pizzas at our pizzeria...we have had a remarkable amount of sales...in nearly two months we average 50-75 per week.

Our impetus....our 8 year old son who is allerging to virtually everything...but not our Allergen Free Pizza...and I have to say we have had fantastic reviews since they all compare it to Pizza Fusions and all say its worlds better in taste and add to that it's half the cost.

For obvious reasons I can't give you the recipe...and I am not trying to be cheap here....but I could sell you a bag to make two pies and all you add is olive oil and water.  We have tried ALL of the commercially available and consumer available mixes and my son refused to eat them since they were either gritty...or spongey.

Anyhow, enought with the self-promotion.  We are not expensive since our only goal is to let those who cannot enjoy pizza, to have that fun again.

As for reverse engineering like others are trying, look, it takes a huge amount of time to perfect this so it tastes good and the texture is just rights.